• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition - No 03

bagapath

International Captain
baga was he really that bad of a fielder? Hard to believe such an accomplished cricketer could be 'crap'. Who would you compare him to these days?
May be I was too harsh and may be imran wasn't really crap. But he was certainly below acceptable standards. He was an unreliable ground fielder capable of looking silly. A bit like ganguly, and actually one rung below him even.

Himannv

International Coach
Imran wasn't just the best bowler around, nor was he just an undeniable fighting spirit with the bat. He was what we all look for in a cricketer when the times are tough for the side. When darkness shrouds our opinions of a team like his, he is the bright shining light which changes all opinions. For me, Imran Khan encompasses the very best of all that is good in Pakistani cricket. Amazing.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Love the leap in the bowling action. Although such a high jump in the action would be devastating for the body.
It was a great bowling action. Wasim, incidentally, was completely the opposite: ran through the cease without any jump at all.

Anyway the best thing about that photo is the sweater

Teja.

Global Moderator
Two quotes/incidents really sum him up for me.

Rob Symth in the Guardian about Pakistan drawing in three series' with the legendary WI team of the 80s with Imran ensuring it by batting five hours out in his last ever test:-

"It was fitting that the last word went to Imran, because he lorded over these contests like a colossus. Despite a series of ailments he was Pakistan's only ever-present in those three series (West Indies had five). Nobody on either side got near his 45 wickets at the blistering average of 14.87, and he added 356 runs at 32.36 for good measure. At the age of 38, this was his last significant act in Test cricket. He could retire safe in the knowledge that he had not lost the final battle, and that he had never lost the war."

Wasim Bari wrote about a chat he had with the Manager of the Indian team, The Maharaja of Baroda before the 1982-83 series in Pakistan. The Manager said "We have a batting line-up, till No. 11, and nothing can go through them." Bari replied "You haven't seen Imran yet because even if you have 15, he'll go through you."

The rest as they say is history, as Imran famously decimated the Indian Order in the second Innings for 8-60 in perhaps the finest display of reverse swing ever and went on take 40 wickets @ 14 for the series in some of the flattest Indian pitches you'd see with no other bowler in both sides coming anywhere close.

What I find most amazing is that even going beyond his prima facie mind blowing stats, He raised his performance to unbelievable levels when the odds were against him. Imran is one of the 3-4 pacers who'd make my list on bowling alone. I'd have him at #2 after Bradman if I made a list. Completely well deserved.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
May be I was too harsh and may be imran wasn't really crap. But he was certainly below acceptable standards. He was an unreliable ground fielder capable of looking silly. A bit like ganguly, and actually one rung below him even.
I only watched Imran live in the last part of his career, and at that time he was definitely a worse fielder than what Ganguly is today ...