• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition - No 04

smash84

The Tiger King
Number 04 Sachin Tendulkar

Highest Ranking 1
Total Points 897
Number of Votes Received 49/57
Rank in 1st Edition 6

What they said of him

“When I am looking at the modern day players and since that time (1948-49), my view is that the best player that I have ever seen is Tendulkar” (Richie Benaud[, arguably the most respectable voice of cricket in the 20th century/B])

“"I believe Sir Donald Bradman is the greatest of them all, but seeing Tendulkar bat, I can say that when he is in top flight, in a variety of conditions, I have seen the best. He has been a genius when it comes to ability, a Trojan when it comes to work ethic and manic when it comes to his focus. Yet we often miss the little things that make him both human and exceptional", (Viv Richards, The original master blaster pays his tribute to Sachin Tendulkar)

“I'll be going to bed having nightmares of Sachin just running down the wicket and belting me back over the head for six. He was unstoppable. I don't think anyone, apart from Don Bradman, is in the same class as Sachin Tendulkar. He is just an amazing player.” (The greatest leg spinner of all time, Shane Warne, narrates his experience of bowling to Tendulkar)

Sachin Tendulkar

Jesus has around 2.2 billion followers in the world, Muhammad has around 1.8 billion, Tendulkar has 1.2 billion. It is difficult to find another cricketer in the history of cricket that has been adored as much by his countrymen as Tendulkar. His popularity is not limited to his own country though, it cuts across boundaries and Tendulkar is a household name across the cricketing world. There is no dearth of records with this man. The highest run scorer in tests and ODIs, the highest number of test centuries. One of only 3 batsmen to average above 50 in the decade of the 1990s when most countries could boast a world class attack. Sachin Tendulkar has arguably been the most complete batsman of his time, the most prolific runmaker of all time, and arguably the biggest cricket icon the game has ever known. His batting is based on the purest principles: perfect balance, economy of movement, precision in stroke-making, and that intangible quality given only to geniuses: anticipation. If he doesn't have a signature stroke - the upright, back-foot punch comes close - it is because he is equally proficient at eTendulkar's considerable achievements seem greater still when looked at in the light of the burden of expectations he has had to bear from his adoring but somewhat unreasonable followers, who have been prone to regard anything less than a hundred in each innings as a failure. The aura may have dimmed, if only slightly, as the years on the international circuit have taken their toll on the body, but Tendulkar remains, by a distance, the most worshipped cricketer in the world. For his unparalleled batting genius and sustained excellence for well over two decades, the Indian Maestro walks to the CW top 50 crease at number 4.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
only one in the top 50 to have been done for ball tampering iirc

(he might not be)

Satguru

Banned
Number 04 Sachin Tendulkar

Muhammad has around 1.8 billion followers in the world, Jesus has 1.6 billion, Tendulkar has 1.2 billion.

Lol, that is so OTT :laugh:
Great writeup though, for a true legend... putting aside how much i dont really love him for his recent actions, its impossible to deny his greatness :)

smash84

The Tiger King
haha.....dude....that was a great opening and admit it......I do admire some of my work and this was one of those :p

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Again surprised how 8 people could not have voted for him at all. lot of strategic voting going on. Great player and batsman, of all the moders greats had the best and purest technique and his longevity has been amazing. Congrats to SRT.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah......8 people did not vote him into their top 25.......that was a very surprising figure for me too

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Probably deserving of a top 5 place, even though he was only about number 9 on my list. Looks like the top 3 will be the same as my top 3 though.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea, think he was about 8 on my list, think Gilly revolutionised his position more and was a real key in Australian dominance. Gilly changed what we expectet of wicket keepers. Most of the top ten are deserving and to devide them is really splitting hairs.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I had SRT at 8 (for Howe's benefit: p)

This great though. The top 3 is going to be same as my top 3.

smash84

The Tiger King
Jesus had more followers up till the mid 2000s IIRC when it was estimated that the muslim population had surpassed the Christian population of the world

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Jesus had way more followers than that. You can add the 1.8 billion followers of Mohammad to the followers of Jesus.

On topic, fair place for Tendulkar. Greatest batsman of my generation and a true legend. India and cricket will miss him once he retires.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I think we can all agree that Bieber has the most followers going.

As for Tendulkar, what a champ! I feel privileged to have watched his career.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The greatest all around and most complete batsman, by far, that I've watched.

I don't take ODIs into account in in polls like this, you have to take 'other' factors into account, so you take in everything from longevity to his performances in other formats, and it makes sense why he is so high.