• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition - No 04

Sparkley

Banned
Tendulkar's incredible longevity, away record and the completeness of his record make him a cricketer worthy of a place in the uppermost echleon of players for me. Is there another batsman who has an average of 40+ against and away from home against every one? genuinely curious.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Would've had him between 10 and 15 but that's largely due to I not rating pure batsmen particularly highly. I consider him arguably the second best batsman of all-time, and without doubt in the top five, If pushed I'd have him after Bradman and Hobbs.

It's scary that, IMO, If Tendulkar retired in 2003 after 14 years of cricket, lots of people, of whom I would not be one, would rate him higher than they do now. That was the time when most of the comments about him being the second best after Bradman started flooding in and it seems logically insane to penalize him for having another decade of merely excellent batsman-ship in addition to the initial period of era-defining batsmanship.

His achievements in the 90s are heavily understated IMO. In the decade, only three other batsmen averaged fifty(Waugh, Lara and Gooch). he averaged a clear five runs ahead of anyone else averaging 58 which is pretty crazy considering he was but a kid for four years of the decade and had not matured to his complete batting prowess yet. What is more remarkable is that he played only 69 games as opposed to many others who played close to hundred and yet scored 22 tons in the decade four clear of Waugh who played 89 games(!) and Lara who played 65 games, around the same, managed only 13 tons! Stuff of absolute legend IMO.

I think a large amount of the underrating perception surrounding Tendulkar being an accumulator is based on his last decade of batsmanship. I would ask people who do that a question - If say, Greg Chappell or Viv Richards decided to stay back and 'accumulate' runs for 7-8 years more beyond in the 80s and the 90s at an average of 45-50, which would be a ridiculous help to the team, Would you not consider it valuable?

This picture in the other thread is absolutely brilliant and I believe it requires reposting, I did not do the circling btw,-

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/8669/homeawayi.jpg

Well, anyway, long story short, Without a shadow of doubt, the best batsman of my time of watching cricket and there's something ridiculously romantic about someone in their 22nd year of batsmanship scoring 1500 runs @ 78 and It is unthinkable to imagine that such an event will ever happen again in my lifetime.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Mohammad comes in at number two, just be careful posting a pic of him, Smali. :ph34r:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
The greatest Indian cricketer and the best batsman of his generation. This man's hunger for cricket and runs is just unbelievable. His batting in the 90s was a sight to behold, bold and aggressive.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good Cricketer. I had Sachin in 17th spot which may appear slightly lowly ranked, but 8 people didn't deem him top 25 worthy.

The reason why Tendulkar isn't quite so high is because he's not produced enough important innings to be at the absolute top. Still his ability to play for so long is not something to be sniffed at and he's had some awesome years.

Fourth for mine seems a little high, but I expected him to finish within the top 10 definitely.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, his 90s batting was just unbelievable. That whole decade it was basically just him. People who are more used to the accumulator of this decade don't quite get it.

smash84

The Tiger King
Good Cricketer. I had Sachin in 17th spot which may appear slightly lowly ranked, but 8 people didn't deem him top 25 worthy.

The reason why Tendulkar isn't quite so high is because he's not produced enough important innings to be at the absolute top. Still his ability to play for so long is not something to be sniffed at and he's had some awesome years.

Fourth for mine seems a little high, but I expected him to finish within the top 10 definitely.
17th is a little low for mine although I didn't have him in my top 5. I have to say Richie Benaud is one whose opinion has raised Sachin a few positions in my eyes.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The greatest Indian cricketer and the best batsman of his generation. This man's hunger for cricket and runs is just unbelievable. His batting in the 90s was a sight to behold, bold and aggressive.
Yea, his 90s batting was just unbelievable. That whole decade it was basically just him. People who are more used to the accumulator of this decade don't quite get it.
Yeah, so AWTA.

He was comfortably ahead of the rest in the 90'S at a time which is regarded tougher for batsman than the next decade too. He has had 2 great careers with different type of approaches combined into one after being able to rejuvenated his game when his body was not the same.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
17th is a little low for mine although I didn't have him in my top 5. I have to say Richie Benaud is one whose opinion has raised Sachin a few positions in my eyes.
Benaud's opinion doesn't hold that much weight for me, for numerous reasons.

smash84

The Tiger King
you might not agree with some of the things that he may have said over the years but there is no doubt that there would be very few (if any) who would have seen as much cricket as he has

smash84

The Tiger King
and his greatest XI is stronger than most XIs thrown up.

It is a very strong XI indeed.

He might think Lillee is the greatest and I won't grudge him for that. In fact I rate Lillee a little higher because of people like Benaud rather than just taking a spreadsheet view of him