• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition - No 05

smash84

The Tiger King
Number 05 Shane Warne

Highest Ranking 1
Total Points 869
Number of Votes Received 53/57
Rank in 1st Edition 4

What they said of him

"In cricketing terms he is the ultimate legend. He's probably the best bowler there has ever been on this planet." (Paul Collingwood, former England batsman)
'
"For me, he was the reason you played cricket. To be in a Test against him, you knew you were in a battle with Warne, verbally, physically, mentally and technically. (Nasser Hussain, former England captain)

I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - (Gidgeon Haigh on Shane Warne)

Shane Warne

His story was part fairytale, part pantomime, part hospital drama, part adult's-only romp, part glittering awards ceremony. He took a Test hat-trick, won many Man-of-the-Match prizes, and was the subject of seven books. His ball that gazoodled Mike Gatting in 1993, bouncing outside leg stump and cuffing off, is unanimously esteemed the most famous in history. For all that, Warne's greatest feats are perhaps those of the last couple of years of his career. Returning in 2004 from a 12-month hiatus for swallowing forbidden diuretics, he swept aside 26 Sri Lankan batsmen in three Tests, and the following year scalped a world record 96 victims - a stunning 24 more than in his show-stopping 1993 - and still missed out on the Allan Border Medal. Forty of those were Englishmen in what sometimes appeared to be a lone stand in a thrilling Ashes series. Although never quite getting the handle on India he did destroy the other sub-continental sides famed for playing spin i.e. Pakistan and Sri Lanka. He retired from test cricket in 2006-07 after a successful Ashes series and it would be safe to say that cricket will not see the likes of such a character any time in the near future. Shane Warne took the art of leg spin bowling to another level, arguably the most exciting bowler to watch in the history of the game. No bowler in the game's history can so much have mastered the dark psychological art that all great spin bowlers have. Warne teased, and talked. He got under the skin. He took the mickey and insulted, the coat cut according to the cloth. The genius from Australia walks in to CW’s top 50 cricketers of all time to take his place at number 5.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
only one on the list to have been done for performance enhancing drugs iirc

yeah i said it so what

DingDong

State Captain
obviously should not be making any greatest lists for the reasons posted by spikey but a good bowler none the less

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What they said of him

Warne is the greatest bowler of all time (One of greatest fast bowlers of all time and his team mate Glenn McGrath talks of Shane Warne)

Warne is the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world. (The greatest off spinner of all time, Muttiah Muralitharan, on the greatest leg spinner)

I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - (Gidgeon Haigh on Shane Warne)
Ikki signature copyright violation tbh

Satguru

Banned
Magical bowler... the sort of cricketer who only comes along once in a few generations... far rarer than someone like Lara, Mcgrath, Tendulkar... The way he thought out batsmen really put a smile on my face, always loved watching him bowl (esp when he was getting hammered by Sidhu, sachin n co :p). Of all the players who have retired he's the one i miss most

Btw, Sachin higher than Warne! haters gonna hate :cool2: :ph34r:

Burgey

As an Australian supporter he provided me with the most compelling moments I saw live. The idea that an entire crowd would lean forward and take extra notice when he bowled was not an exaggeration. Whether he was skittling line ups or getting tonked about, something was always on.

Think this ranking flatters him though. He was a great player, but I think top five is a bit high for mine. Had him at 10 fwiw.

Will never forget his 05 Ashes. He was past his best by then, but the man was a one man army that series. To think his marriage was falling apart and he produced that kind of performance. Talk about being able to compartmentalise your life. What a player he was.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
As an Australian supporter he provided me with the most compelling moments I saw live. The idea that an entire crowd would lean forward and take extra notice when he bowled was not an exaggeration. Whether he was skittling line ups or getting tonked about, something was always on.

Think this ranking flatters him though. He was a great player, but I think top five is a bit high for mine. Had him at 10 fwiw.

Will never forget his 05 Ashes. He was past his best by then, but the man was a one man army that series. To think his marriage was falling apart and he produced that kind of performance. Talk about being able to compartmentalise your life. What a player he was.
In terms of a single performance, reading about what his mental state in the leadup to the 99 WC and his mental state on the day of the semi, then to produce that performance was probably the thing that stood out most for me.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Surely Smali you could have found better quotes than those silly one liners. The first two especially are a waste. You can still edit :) Take from Boycott's comments on cricinfo 'My XI' feature.

I had him at #16. Always liked the bloke. His influence on cricket has been obviously immense. What he did with Rajasthan Royals in first season of IPL was quite epic. He was like pied piper around whom the young, semi-polished, unfinished cricketer rallied.

smash84

The Tiger King
Surely Smali you could have found better quotes than those silly one liners. The first two especially are a waste. You can still edit :) Take from Boycott's comments on cricinfo 'My XI' feature.
\.
I would be willing to change them if you can give them to me. I am feeling too lazy to get the quotes now. Will be grateful

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The greatest off spinner of all time, Nasser Hussain, former England captain
Did Hussain really say off spinner?

Really happy that Warney made the top 5, I had him in 5th, because he was ****ing awesome Howe_zat.

Seriously though, Cricket was always extremely entertaining whenever Warne was in a spell.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I would be willing to change them if you can give them to me. I am feeling too lazy to get the quotes now. Will be grateful
"To me, Shane Warne is a great turner of the ball. I like his aggressive attitude, I love the way he attacks batsmen and I give him 100% for that as not enough spinners bowl with that approach.." - Sobers

Burgey

I had him at #16. Always liked the bloke. His influence on cricket has been obviously immense. What he did with Rajasthan Royals in first season of IPL was quite epic. He was like pied piper around whom the young, semi-polished, unfinished cricketer rallied.
That's a **** of a comment. If you don't like it, take it upon yourself to put the list together.

****ing sense of entitlement some of you ****s have is worse than Petet Costello.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I am also helping Smali to find something else to plug in. I didn't mean to criticize his hard work :(

He has changed them already, I see.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And cut me some slack as I am typing in breaks between meetings, so not a careful choice of words. Apologies Smali if I came across as a prick.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Snap me too. My entire top 25 was based on IPL exploits.

I still rated Bradman number 1 though as I projected that he would have been a good T20 player and I figured he would be a good fit with the Mumbai Indians.