• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Lesson in Libel, 2012 Edition

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A Lesson in Libel, 2012 Edition

In this feature Martin takes a brief look at the careers of Lance and Chris Cairns, and in particular Chris's recent trip to the High Court in London.

For anyone in interested in reading another feature about a famous cricketing libel case, that involving Ian Botham, Alan Lamb and Imran Khan, you can do so here.

I am grateful to Tom Coghlin (Zaremba) for his help and advice in the preparation of both features.

HeathDavisSpeed

Is it wrong of me to think of Level 42's Lessons in Love everytime I see this thread in new posts?

Matteh would appreciate.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Excellent as ever, Martin. One point of fact, though, m'lord - Dinesh Mongia isn't a former test keeper. That was Nayan Mongia. Dinesh played 57 ODIs as a middle order bat and part time SLA bowler.

fredfertang

Excellent as ever, Martin. One point of fact, though, m'lord - Dinesh Mongia isn't a former test keeper. That was Nayan Mongia. Dinesh played 57 ODIs as a middle order bat and part time SLA bowler.
Thanks for pointing that out Neil - has been amended

There is, obviously, a prize for spotting the, ahem, deliberate mistake - benchy has generously made his gorillagram available

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Aside from saying again that I think your libel laws are crazy, that was a very enjoyable read.

Also, Lalit Modi can't give anyone a chance to play in the IPL, he has nothing to do with that tournament anymore.

Beleg

International Regular
this is probably one of the best articles i've read on cricketweb. informative and illustrative.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Good article thanks guys. Obviously the entire Cairns family was be pleased with the decision.

fredfertang

Still wasn't a keeper :p
fixed - there are three possible reasons for this Neil and I'll let you choose the right one:-

1. I didn't do you the courtesy of reading your first post properly, or

2. I did do you the courtesy of reading your first post properly but deliberately failed to action all of it so I could do so later and by posting about it take this thread back to the top of the page, or

3. I have acquired a mental block about Mongia due to his contribution to one of the 77 years of hurt.

:)

fredfertang

Thanks for the positive remarks gents, and from the external comments that have come in I appear to have got the seal of approval from Chris Cairns's solicitor; "A very reasoned, considered and balanced article." which is good to read - no comment from Mr Modi's legal team yet though!