• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam the best player of quicks after viv?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because the 90s was apparently the era for fast bowling, the three best players of pace. Peking must be Alec Stewart, Mark Waugh and Mark Taylor.

Discuss.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Saeed Anwar was a better of player of pace than Inzy.
BS. Was never good against swinging stuff. Aamir Sohail had a better approach than him against fast bowling. It's unluckythat things other than cricket went in to Sohail's head and ruined his career

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Inzy was one of my favorite players. I am a little surprised at the consensus that has developed in this thread. I think he lost at least a couple points in average (probably more than a couple) due to his fitness issues, and while that's perfectly fair to include while judging him as a batsman, I think if you're talking purely about his ability to handle pace bowling (not running afterwards :p), he has to be up there. I do believe he belongs in the conversation of being one of the better players of pace.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Because the 90s was apparently the era for fast bowling, the three best players of pace. Peking must be Alec Stewart, Mark Waugh and Mark Taylor.

Discuss.
Now where are all those West Indians? Steve wasmuch better against pace than Mark IMO.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Fair call, if time to play pure pace is your merit criterion. At top level cricket, it's very seldom up-and-down raw pace that batsmen are expected to contend with.

Pre-2007 Ponting is the best player of pace I've seen live. Wonderful eyes, fearless, lightning reflexes and a guy who could murder pace bowling of the highest quality on his day. On the whole, Aravinda de Silva, Robin Smith, Martin Crowe and Graham Gooch are noteworthy mentions from the last two decades.

Flem274*

123/5
I remember Zinzan always posts some link which shows batting records between the late eighties to early nineties, where ****s like Waqar were running rampant and it was generally a bad time to be a batsman.

Tendulkar, Crowe and some other guy (Richie Richardson?) came out tops iirc.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I feel like people's opinions are being swayed by Inzi's last few series where it was clear he had lost a step and was constantly being troubled by the likes of Sreesanth. He did well against pace in his heyday when he chose to give a ****. That was my problem with him more than anything, he didn't always turn it on. But when he did, it was clear he wasn't getting out anytime soon and played the quicks with ridiculous ease. Go back and watch his knocks in 2005 against England with a bad back, or even his 92* in old age against Saffers in '07 on a bouncy pitch.

It's fair enough not to rate him too highly as he really didn't always bring it, but it's hardly a joke to suggest he was one of better players of pace and it's laughable to rate guys like Saeed Anwar and Aamer Sohail ahead of him.

Sparkley

Banned
Some would say it's a joke to even think about considering him as one of the best players of pace bowling after Viv. As Ankit mentioned, it's a stupid myth that Imran Khan has propogated. Even guys like Sehwag and Jayawardene (tempted to add Sangakkara's name but there'd be an outcry) have played a few decent knocks in reasonable conditions for pace bowling, it doesn't mean they belong in a discussion about the best players of fast bowling. Not sure how ''giving a ****'' is of any relevance. You play a game, you have to give a ****. The fact of the matter is that Inzamam just did not score enough runs and centuries against good fast bowling attacks, particularly outside the subcontinent. Did absolutely nothing to warrant him a place in a discussion about best batsmen against pace bowlers. He was good against SL, Bangladesh and Indian medium pacers, that's about it.

unam

U19 12th Man
Some would say it's a joke to even think about considering him as one of the best players of pace bowling after Viv. As Ankit mentioned, it's a stupid myth that Imran Khan has propogated. Even guys like Sehwag and Jayawardene (tempted to add Sangakkara's name but there'd be an outcry) have played a few decent knocks in reasonable conditions for pace bowling, it doesn't mean they belong in a discussion about the best players of fast bowling. Not sure how ''giving a ****'' is of any relevance. You play a game, you have to give a ****. The fact of the matter is that Inzamam just did not score enough runs and centuries against good fast bowling attacks, particularly outside the subcontinent. Did absolutely nothing to warrant him a place in a discussion about best batsmen against pace bowlers. He was good against SL, Bangladesh and Indian medium pacers, that's about it.
Please check SACHIN'S record against S.A and PAK, especially in late 90s when he was considered best batsman in the world.

Sparkley

Banned
@Spark : I meant there'd be an outcry about his name being grouped with Sehwag and Jayawardene. The latter two are always seen as crap in testing conditions whilst Kumar despite his equally rubbish record outside the SC gets a pass for some reason.