• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition - No 06

smash84

The Tiger King
Number 06 Malcolm Marshall

Highest Ranking 2
Total Points 839
Number of Votes Received 51/57
Rank in 1st Edition 9

What they said of him

“If I was given the chance to trade myself for another fast bowler I would trade myself with Malcolm Marshall as quickly as the snap of my fingers” (Wasim Akram, arguably the greatest left arm pace bowler of all time, on his fast bowling idol)

“He bounced me first ball, but if that was hardly surprising, what did alarm me was that I never saw it. My only acquaintance with the projectile was a hissing sound and a slight draught passing my nose. On a bright sunny day it was enough to bring more than the odd lingering doubt to the surface. (Derek Pringle, former England seamer certainly understood the perils of facing Malcolm Marshall)

“He was simply the most brilliant bowler of my time, terribly awkward to play and very quick, always wonderfully aware and intelligent, always plotting and probing.” (Graham Gooch, himself one of the finest openers of all time discusses the bowling of Malcolm Marshall)

Malcolm Marshall

Malcolm Marshall slithered to the crease on the angle, pitter-pat feet twinkling as if in dancing shoes. It was reminiscent of a sidewinder on the attack. He maintained mastery of orthodox outswing and inswing from a neutral position without telegraphing his intent. He was lithe, with a wickedly fast arm that elevated him to express status. Only in inches was he lacking - but he even turned that to his advantage with a bouncer as malicious as they come, skidding on to the batsman. Later in his career, he developed a devastating legcutter which he used on dusty pitches. Allied to a massive cricket intelligence, stamina and courage, Marshall had all the toys and he knew how and when to play with them. His strike rate of 46.22 was phenomenal, his average of 20.95 equally so. He may well have been the finest fast bowler of them all. Even in the formidable line-up of West Indians whose speed and ferocity dominated world cricket for the last quarter of the 20th century, Marshall stood out: he allied sheer pace to consistent excellence for longer than anyone else; he was relentlessly professional and determined. At 41, perhaps, Marshall left us too soon, but he leaves behind his legacy as arguably the greatest fast bowler of all time.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Malcolm Marshall

Malcolm Marshall slithered to the crease on the angle, pitter-pat feet twinkling as if in dancing shoes. It was reminiscent of a sidewinder on the attack. He maintained mastery of orthodox outswing and inswing from a neutral position without telegraphing his intent. He was lithe, with a wickedly fast arm that elevated him to express status. Only in inches was he lacking - but he even turned that to his advantage with a bouncer as malicious as they come, skidding on to the batsman. Later in his career, he developed a devastating legcutter which he used on dusty pitches. Allied to a massive cricket intelligence, stamina and courage, Marshall had all the toys and he knew how and when to play with them. His strike rate of 46.22 was phenomenal, his average of 20.95 equally so. He may well have been the finest fast bowler of them all. Even in the formidable line-up of West Indians whose speed and ferocity dominated world cricket for the last quarter of the 20th century, Marshall stood out: he allied sheer pace to consistent excellence for longer than anyone else; he was relentlessly professional and determined. At 41, perhaps, Marshall left us too soon, but he leaves behind his legacy as arguably the greatest fast bowler of all time.
Brilliant little pen portrait of his bowling.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Christ I'm sick of opening these threads and finding dozens of posts just saying where you had him. I don't give a **** where you had him. If you feel he's misplaced, how about you say why. At least that way it's about the actual cricketer, and not just about the exact bloody numbers on your ****ing list.

Exhale

Gonna go have a kitkat

Fusion

Global Moderator
Christ I'm sick of opening these threads and finding dozens of posts just saying where you had him. I don't give a **** where you had him. If you feel he's misplaced, how about you say why. At least that way it's about the actual cricketer, and not just about the exact bloody numbers on your ****ing list.

Exhale

Gonna go have a kitkat
I had him at 7. :D

Fusion

Global Moderator
In all seriousness, the greatest bowler ever IMO. Could do it all and make it look so easy.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Had him at three. Greatest fast bowler EVER. If he gave Sunny and co. so much trouble in India, imagine him againts Sachin on anything. Even if we put aside his skill, tools and cricketing brains, the getleman never lost a test series even after the retirements of Holding, Garner, Croft, Robeets and the decline of Richards. Deserves to be at least top five. RIP Maco.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Had him at three. Greatest fast bowler EVER. If he gave Sunny and co. so much trouble in India, imagine him againts Sachin on anything. Even if we put aside his skill, tools and cricketing brains, the getleman never lost a test series even after the retirements of Holding, Garner, Croft and the decline of Richards. Deserves to be at least top five. RIP Maco.
? Just because he troubled Sunny in India doesn't mean he would have automatically been great against Sachin.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Had him at three. Greatest fast bowler EVER. If he gave Sunny and co. so much trouble in India, imagine him againts Sachin on anything. Even if we put aside his skill, tools and cricketing brains, the getleman never lost a test series even after the retirements of Holding, Garner, Croft and the decline of Richards. Deserves to be at least top five. RIP Maco.
Gavaskar is a bit overrated.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Had him at three. Greatest fast bowler EVER. If he gave Sunny and co. so much trouble in India, imagine him againts Sachin on anything. Even if we put aside his skill, tools and cricketing brains, the getleman never lost a test series even after the retirements of Holding, Garner, Croft, Robeets and the decline of Richards. Deserves to be at least top five. RIP Maco.
:confused:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Exhale

Gonna go have a kitkat
He had me at "hello".

Edit: arrgghhh!!! Corrin of all people!

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's my all time number one. The greatest bowler I've ever seen. A true legend of the game, and by all accounts a great guy to have on your team. The mental strength he had was superb, and that innings where he went out to bat with a broken arm, helped Larry Gomes to a century and took 7 wickets in the match. That was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

You want to know why I think he should have been number one? He was simply the best ever. The all round package - his under rated batting, his fielding and of course that unerring bowling. To add to that, the contribution he made off the field of play far exceeds what many other players have put back into the game - in the short time he had left following retirement. Shaun Pollock acknowledges Marshall's time at Natal as being critical to his development as a player. And to top it all, he was a genuinely nice guy.

He'll always be my real number one.

NOTE: I didn't realise this was going on, so didn't submit any votes. Otherwise Marshall would have had a highest ranking of '1'.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Without Heath voting, it has meant that my vote was Marshall's highest.

I had him at 2 because he was the best fast bowler the world has ever seen. He ticked off all the boxes that you look for in a quick. His worst bowling average against a country is 22.51. Yes I'll repeat that, his worst average was just 22.51. So incredible.

Now look at his performances in wins. 254 wickets from 43 matches at an average of 16.78! Simply put, when Marshall performed well, West Indies won many games in an era where draws were way more common then they are now.

I only saw the end of Marshall's career, and so far I've been all about the stats, but I remember thinking (with help from the old man) how brilliant he was and was always the bowler I pretended to be in my important backyard Tests. Nowadays, whenever I see an old clip of his, I think his action is perfect.

smash84

The Tiger King
Brilliant little pen portrait of his bowling.
Thanks Zarembs although unlike Murali, Viv, and Hadlee's write ups this was mostly cricinfo stuff.

It was quite painful researching Marshall though especially the part where he was diagnosed with cancer in June of 1999 and then he married his long time girl friend towards the end of September. Cancer took him away so quickly. In November of 1999 he weighed only about 25 kg when he passed away. :(

RIP Marshall you were arguably the greatest of all time

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ah. I didn't know that. That's so tragic :(

He was my highest ranked pure fast bowler. Considering that I probably should have put the greatest fast bowler of all time a tad higher.