• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British Pathe - reels of Grace and Hobbs batting

watson

Banned
I'm not sure whether any links from the 'British Pathe' website have been posted on this forum before, but they are a fabulous source of old news reels featuring the 'All Time Greats' from the past.

This short footage ('Cricket Giants of the 1890s') of W.G. Grace practicing reminds us why he would probably be an outstanding batsmen in most eras. Even being old and overweight he appears to hit the ball superbly;

CRICKET GIANTS OF THE 1890s - British Path

I also enjoyed 'Cricket Highlights - 1899 to 1959' and 'The Life of Jack Hobbs - reel 2'

CRICKET HIGHLIGHTS - British Path
THE LIFE OF JACK HOBBS reel 2 - British Path

Again, after watching Hobbs and Sutcliffe it is not hard to see why they are also considered 'All Time Greats'. At the 1 min 38 sec mark I was surprised at how far the keeper and the slips were standing back to the Australian fast bowler Jack Gregory during the Nottingham test of 1926. Only opening batsmen of substantial class would bat comfortably and make runs against such pace on a rain drenched wicket. At the 2 min 47 sec mark we see that only the immediate area around the stumps are covered (by a smallish tent on wheels) during a down pour. The central part of the pitch is left wide open to the rain!

Enjoy!

Jager

International Debutant
Thanks for posting this man, such rare footage and I have always wanted to see Grace batting.

chasingthedon

International Regular
I'm not sure whether any links from the 'British Pathe' website have been posted on this forum before, but they are a fabulous source of old news reels featuring the 'All Time Greats' from the past.

This short footage ('Cricket Giants of the 1890s') of W.G. Grace practicing reminds us why he would probably be an outstanding batsmen in most eras. Even being old and overweight he appears to hit the ball superbly;

I also enjoyed 'Cricket Highlights - 1899 to 1959' and 'The Life of Jack Hobbs - reel 2'

Again, after watching Hobbs and Sutcliffe it is not hard to see why they are also considered 'All Time Greats'. At the 1 min 38 sec mark I was surprised at how far the keeper and the slips were standing back to the Australian fast bowler Jack Gregory during the Nottingham test of 1926. Only opening batsmen of substantial class would bat comfortably and make runs against such pace on a rain drenched wicket. At the 2 min 47 sec mark we see that only the immediate area around the stumps are covered (by a smallish tent on wheels) during a down pour. The central part of the pitch is left wide open to the rain!

Enjoy!
Coincidentally I posted a British Pathe link yesterday, in my latest piece on CB Fry. Unfortunately he was by then 48, though remarkably still being considered for an England place, and as captain at that, the following year. I was unable to find anything earlier.

watson

Banned
Had a look at CB Fry batting on your video CTD. By the looks of things he had a pretty good square drive.

The more I think about it the more it is becoming apparent that the players from the early 20th century would look at our flat covered batting strips, pick up a perfectly balanced light weight bat, and then adapt relatively easily to modern cricket. On the other hand the contemporary England team with their current problems against Pakistani spinners wouldn't last more than 2 sessions against CB Fry's mate Wilfred Rhodes on an uncovered track.

unam

U19 12th Man
Good stuff buddy. This is the first time I enjoyed watching old footage, especially enjoyed the second one "CRICKET HIGHLIGHTS - British Path".

chasingthedon

International Regular
Had a look at CB Fry batting on your video CTD. By the looks of things he had a pretty good square drive.

The more I think about it the more it is becoming apparent that the players from the early 20th century would look at our flat covered batting strips, pick up a perfectly balanced light weight bat, and then adapt relatively easily to modern cricket. On the other hand the contemporary England team with their current problems against Pakistani spinners wouldn't last more than 2 sessions against CB Fry's mate Wilfred Rhodes on an uncovered track.
:D

Did you contribute to the thread on WG?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've seen the footage of Grace before but not the continuation with, presumably, Ranji - thanks for linking to it

watson

Banned

Did you contribute to the thread on WG?
Unfortunately I didn't CTD. But I bet it the thread would have split into 3 camps.

1. WG Grace couldn't possibly adapt to facing the likes of Malcolm Marshall c1984,

2. WG Grace would adapt relatively easily to facing the likes of Malcolm Marshall c1984 given some prematch practice.

3. Asking the question whether WG Grace would adapt to facing the likes of Malcolm Marshall c1984 is nonsensical and redundant.

My own opinion is that WG Grace would open the batting, edge a few over slips, belt an entertaining 40 runs (or so), and then hole out at deep square leg.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
How is it that we have footage of Grace, but none of Barnes, that would be a treat. Great to be finally able to at least catch a glimse of the good doctor.

archie mac

International Coach

Enjoy!
Very good stuff, thank you:)

I read a book by David Kynaston called WGs birthday party (I hope have the right book? Fred?)
Anyway he says the pros and amateurs walking past a camera. I am yet to see this footage. Anyone have a link?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Always wondered why player techniques from the olden times look so unrefined and rough around the edges. It can't be a function of primitive camera technology alone, there's something distinctly antiquated about strokeplay from that era.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

Enjoy!
Great stuff mate, thanks. :)

watson

Banned
Always wondered why player techniques from the olden times look so unrefined and rough around the edges. It can't be a function of primitive camera technology alone, there's something distinctly antiquated about strokeplay from that era.
What, as opposed to Shivnarine "The Crab" Chanderpaul batting and Max "Tangles" Walker bowling.

Debris

International 12th Man
Not sure how strokeplay can be antiquated. It was certainly much more individual back then but they had no examples yet of what types of technique would be successful. Players have become much more homogenized as it has become apparent what is required in a successful technique.

watson

Banned
Larwood and Tate bowling to Bradman, and Tate beats Bradman outside the off-stump. Archie Jackson plays a nice pull-shot.