Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: British Pathe - reels of Grace and Hobbs batting

British Pathe - reels of Grace and Hobbs batting

I'm not sure whether any links from the 'British Pathe' website have been posted on this forum before, but they are a fabulous source of old news reels featuring the 'All Time Greats' from the past.

This short footage ('Cricket Giants of the 1890s') of W.G. Grace practicing reminds us why he would probably be an outstanding batsmen in most eras. Even being old and overweight he appears to hit the ball superbly;

CRICKET GIANTS OF THE 1890s - British Path

I also enjoyed 'Cricket Highlights - 1899 to 1959' and 'The Life of Jack Hobbs - reel 2'

CRICKET HIGHLIGHTS - British Path
    THE LIFE OF JACK HOBBS reel 2 - British Path

Again, after watching Hobbs and Sutcliffe it is not hard to see why they are also considered 'All Time Greats'. At the 1 min 38 sec mark I was surprised at how far the keeper and the slips were standing back to the Australian fast bowler Jack Gregory during the Nottingham test of 1926. Only opening batsmen of substantial class would bat comfortably and make runs against such pace on a rain drenched wicket. At the 2 min 47 sec mark we see that only the immediate area around the stumps are covered (by a smallish tent on wheels) during a down pour. The central part of the pitch is left wide open to the rain!

Enjoy!

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Good get mate. Cheers.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Thanks for posting this man, such rare footage and I have always wanted to see Grace batting.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I'm not sure whether any links from the 'British Pathe' website have been posted on this forum before, but they are a fabulous source of old news reels featuring the 'All Time Greats' from the past.

This short footage ('Cricket Giants of the 1890s') of W.G. Grace practicing reminds us why he would probably be an outstanding batsmen in most eras. Even being old and overweight he appears to hit the ball superbly;

I also enjoyed 'Cricket Highlights - 1899 to 1959' and 'The Life of Jack Hobbs - reel 2'

Again, after watching Hobbs and Sutcliffe it is not hard to see why they are also considered 'All Time Greats'. At the 1 min 38 sec mark I was surprised at how far the keeper and the slips were standing back to the Australian fast bowler Jack Gregory during the Nottingham test of 1926. Only opening batsmen of substantial class would bat comfortably and make runs against such pace on a rain drenched wicket. At the 2 min 47 sec mark we see that only the immediate area around the stumps are covered (by a smallish tent on wheels) during a down pour. The central part of the pitch is left wide open to the rain!

Enjoy!
    Coincidentally I posted a British Pathe link yesterday, in my latest piece on CB Fry. Unfortunately he was by then 48, though remarkably still being considered for an England place, and as captain at that, the following year. I was unable to find anything earlier.

Had a look at CB Fry batting on your video CTD. By the looks of things he had a pretty good square drive.

The more I think about it the more it is becoming apparent that the players from the early 20th century would look at our flat covered batting strips, pick up a perfectly balanced light weight bat, and then adapt relatively easily to modern cricket. On the other hand the contemporary England team with their current problems against Pakistani spinners wouldn't last more than 2 sessions against CB Fry's mate Wilfred Rhodes on an uncovered track.

Good stuff buddy. This is the first time I enjoyed watching old footage, especially enjoyed the second one "CRICKET HIGHLIGHTS - British Path".

You're welcome.

Cricket Web Staff Member
    Had a look at CB Fry batting on your video CTD. By the looks of things he had a pretty good square drive.

The more I think about it the more it is becoming apparent that the players from the early 20th century would look at our flat covered batting strips, pick up a perfectly balanced light weight bat, and then adapt relatively easily to modern cricket. On the other hand the contemporary England team with their current problems against Pakistani spinners wouldn't last more than 2 sessions against CB Fry's mate Wilfred Rhodes on an uncovered track.

Did you contribute to the thread on WG?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    I've seen the footage of Grace before but not the continuation with, presumably, Ranji - thanks for linking to it

Quote Originally Posted by chasingthedon View Post

Did you contribute to the thread on WG?
    Unfortunately I didn't CTD. But I bet it the thread would have split into 3 camps.

1. WG Grace couldn't possibly adapt to facing the likes of Malcolm Marshall c1984,

2. WG Grace would adapt relatively easily to facing the likes of Malcolm Marshall c1984 given some prematch practice.

3. Asking the question whether WG Grace would adapt to facing the likes of Malcolm Marshall c1984 is nonsensical and redundant.

My own opinion is that WG Grace would open the batting, edge a few over slips, belt an entertaining 40 runs (or so), and then hole out at deep square leg.
    Last edited by watson; 12-04-2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Extra thought

Unfortunately I didn't CTD. But I bet it the thread would have split into 3 camps.
    The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

They know who they are.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    O'Reilly look down right medium pace. Thank you Watson, that was truely amazing.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    How is it that we have footage of Grace, but none of Barnes, that would be a treat. Great to be finally able to at least catch a glimse of the good doctor.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar

Enjoy!
    Very good stuff, thank you

I read a book by David Kynaston called WGs birthday party (I hope have the right book? Fred?)
    Anyway he says the pros and amateurs walking past a camera. I am yet to see this footage. Anyone have a link?
    You know it makes sense.

State Vice-Captain
    Always wondered why player techniques from the olden times look so unrefined and rough around the edges. It can't be a function of primitive camera technology alone, there's something distinctly antiquated about strokeplay from that era.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information