• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

British Pathe - reels of Grace and Hobbs batting

watson

Banned
Statham and Higgs bowling to Colin Bland who knocks up a century. Peter Pollock winding up against Cowdrey. Not bad at all.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Love this video. Sutcliffe looks in great form.

The reporting seems to have changed more than the cricket. Very little mention of a rolling score as time goes on, more just a presentation of what's being looked at. And the language changes. At 3:55 Sutcliffe clearly sweeps but it's called a pull.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Always wondered why player techniques from the olden times look so unrefined and rough around the edges. It can't be a function of primitive camera technology alone, there's something distinctly antiquated about strokeplay from that era.
Don't see it myself, the recordings are pretty shabby understandably, all the shots look like they are being played in fast forward and probably what makes it look like a batsman hurried through the shot whereas these days we see every frame of a stroke and that makes it look amazing.

From this footage alone the likes of Grace, Hobbs and Woolley all seem to share one of the characteristics of all great batsmen - seeing the ball all the way through and playing it late. Hard to imagine how they judged the bounce and pace off the pitch on those kind of pitches to still connect it so sweetly, tbh.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't see it myself, the recordings are pretty shabby understandably, all the shots look like they are being played in fast forward and probably what makes it look like a batsman hurried through the shot whereas these days we see every frame of a stroke and that makes it look amazing.

From this footage alone the likes of Grace, Hobbs and Woolley all seem to share one of the characteristics of all great batsmen - seeing the ball all the way through and playing it late. Hard to imagine how they judged the bounce and pace off the pitch on those kind of pitches to still connect it so sweetly, tbh.
Want to watch these in 18fps or w/e they were meant to be watched at.
this basically.

Anyways, is it just me or do a lot of the players here look very bottom handed?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Statham looks to be faster than I thought
That footage was from his final Test when he was 35 - Statham was genuinely quick in his youth was, but he almost always bowled at the stumps and never at the batsman, so he doesn't have the reputation of the likes of Tyson and Trueman