• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mohammad Sami vs Ishant Sharma

Who is the better bowler

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
So what you meant to say was that you don't necessarily disagree with Sharma >> Sami, its just that you disagree that people will see Sharma >> Sami?
For test matches I'll take Sharma as >> Sami

However having seen quite a bit of Sami in ODIs I think that factors into my overall assessment.

Edit: and the fact that I had forgotten Sami's ****ness since he hasn't played for Pakistan for so long.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
its a crime to call Sami a cricketer whenever I see him name I immediately get the images of Sehwag killing him from pillar to post.

Last edited:

LegendaryProtea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Both pretty poor but I guess I'd say Sharma is better. Ishant has most things a fast bowler needs but is still unable to bring it all together and take wickets consistently.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sami and his relative namesake Sammy are the best example of why a bowler first needs some consistency in line & length over all olther things in order to forge a decent test career.

salman85

International Debutant
Sami.

Someone in this thread mentioned that Sami lacked pace,which is wrong.If there's one thing that Sami had,it was Pace.Bowling good or bad,he never went down on pace and was always up there with Shoaib and Lee in terms of pure speed.Even today,he is seriously quick and would easily rank among the world's fastest.The movement was there every now and then,though not as regularly as one would hope.Why he has such atrocious figures is beyond me.He had the ability.Maybe it had something to with not getting proper coaching,or not having a proper bowling mentor.I don't know,but it surely isn't down to ability since he had the skill.

We're only talking about the bowling here,but i always felt Sami had the ability to become a decent batsman too.He was far from your average slogging tailender.Played very fluent cricketing shots,and had a very dependable defense.

I'm surprised he hasn't been picked in a while though btw,since his last few performances were decent.His last test match against South Africa was on a pitch made of glass with nothing in it for the bowlers.The other bowlers didn't exactly the set the world on fire that match either.But he did well in that ill-fated Sydney match just before that.Had Australia against the ropes very early.Also,his last ODI outing against Srilanka wasn't bad enough to warrant a drop either.

I won't be against Sami being given another chance btw.Gul has been average since the World Cup,Junaid Khan needs to work on his fitness,Wahab too is out of form.Sami has been performing well on the domestic circuit,so another chance won't hurt.It's not like we're bursting with in form fast bowlers at the moment.

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
Sami should return in both forms of the game.He would do a better job than Gul does in Test Matches atleast.

salman85

International Debutant
So,which one of Srilanka,West Indies,England and Bangladesh do you support?

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Lol the only time i remember Sami, is when Smith and Gibbs murdered him at Newlands 2002 i think. Him and Zahid were destroyed. But For me how Sami never made it, its beyond me. If i had to chose someone to bowl for me id chose him, as long as my life was not at stake!

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I agree with the general remarks on this thread, that Sami should have accomplished much more than what he actually did. Probably a combination of not getting a good mentor (Akhtar had Wasim and Waqar) and being an idiot himself. This is why I worry about our future bowling stock with a leading bowler like Gul who is an idiot and will ruin any new talent. That's why we need a good bowling coach.