• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exciting batsmen

Who is the most exciting batsman in the world?

• Verinder Sehwag

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Shahid Afridi

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Andrew Flintoff

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Sanath Jayasuriya

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matthew Hayden

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I can easily visualize that charged hook shot that Davison played off one of the bowlers..im not sure if it was Adams? anyway that flew out of the ground.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
I dont think Symonds is any good.

He has certainly under achieved for 95% of his ODI career.
Well in his last 26 games (since and including that 143 not out) he's scored 722 runs @ 51.57 in 19 innings. He has 4 fifties and a hundred in that time with a top score of 143*.

That's not underachieving IMO and the other 54 games of his career in 67%. A far cry from 95%. :P :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
Richard must not see alot of cricket because Gilchrist played some magnificent shots in the TVS Cup especially considering practically every ball he's looking for the boundary.
It's his choice if he looks to hit boundaries every ball...
No, I didn't see The TVS Cup. However surely he played no differently then to how he normally plays in ODIs? And I have seen him bat in ODIs.
And my definition of "magnificent", remember, may be different to yours.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eclipse said:
Yeah Richard probably does not like Symonds that much because he does not have that classical look about his batting what so ever. Infact I dont think he look's that good estheticaly.

But if you like power then you would find it hard to go past Symonds. His normal cover drives etc.. go to the fence so bloody fast it's not funny.

I think he has gone down hill in his FC game though since about 1999 when he had a magnificent season.
As the big swingers go, Symonds actually isn't too bad.
I genuinely enjoyed seeing him repeatedly hit Keith Parsons past the deep-extra-cover 2 seasons ago, though Rich will no doubt cringe at the very memory of that match.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
shows how much you know about Australian cricketers (basically nothing)
Shows how much you know - not much.
What you get from telling yourself that your knowledge of Australian cricketers is superior to mine I don't know - but repeating it doesn't make it any more true.

iamdavid

International Debutant
gibbsnsmith said:
Hershuelle Gibbs, i cant think of anyone who exictes me more than him, when he bats, but SRT comes pretty damn close :)
Herschelle Gibbs ranks very highly got me aswell.

Slater , Dippenaar , Gibbs , Lara , Tendulkar , Atapattu , Gayle , Butcher , Vaughan , Katich , M.Waugh , Nazir (when he gets going) , Jayawardene (likewise) , Vermeulen , Martyn , Laxman , Fleming , Hooper , Law , Dighton , Chris Davies , Goodwin , Bashar , Sarkar , Tufnell , Azzhar (both the cheating bastard Indian & **** allrounder) , Anwar , Ganga , Samuels , Smith (Devon) , Smith (Ed) , Ganguly , Blewett & a few others all very watchable for me.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Richard I totally agree with you. IMO Gilchrist and Hayden would be 2 of the ugliest batsman to watch in world cricket. Hayden is just boring and mechanical, like a big batting robot. He could score 36 off every over and it would still be boring. Adam Gilchrist is just an abomination and every shot he plays appalls my eyes. Nothing against either of them, they're great batsman, but I can't see how anyone could call them exciting. Both bat butt-ugly.

I can easily visualize that charged hook shot that Davison played off one of the bowlers..im not sure if it was Adams? anyway that flew out of the ground.
It was Oram. I think he hit 3 sixes in one over (??) and that was the third one. One of the most memorable shots I've ever seen, alongside one of Astle's straight sixes off Caddick in the fastest ever 200.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Davison...I saw highlights of his 111, bloody hell that was some innings.

What about J-B Burger though? Very attractive fast-scoring bat.

Craig

World Traveller
As michael Holding described serveral times in that innings that the West indian bowlers left their brains on the bus.

He was correct there with some of the bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
statement posted in mental archives for future reference

:P
For use against me?
Now when have I ever tried to repeat things to make them more true?
I generally repeat things because people don't answer the specificalities (if that's a word) and I'm trying to point-out their neglect.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
As michael Holding described serveral times in that innings that the West indian bowlers left their brains on the bus.

He was correct there with some of the bowling.
From my memory, it wasn't bad bowling per se, but rather bowling lacking thought. Credit to Davison though, he made us pay!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
I genuinely enjoyed seeing him repeatedly hit Keith Parsons past the deep-extra-cover 2 seasons ago, though Rich will no doubt cringe at the very memory of that match.
I was probably there , but that kind of stuff happens so often to the somerset bowling attack that its all just an unremarkable blur in my mind :( , the kind of stuff we have to put up with most days :)

Recent guys i remember going mental at Taunton...

Graham Thorpe
Nick Knight
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Harvey
Prince Edward
Rahul Dravid
Mike Hussey

Oh and if you are wondering, Im in a bad mood with Somerset CCC because they have completely failed to tell me if i got through some recent trials and if I am a Somerset player or not... Pure, what was it Anna? Ignorance?

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
For use against me?
Now when have I ever tried to repeat things to make them more true?
I generally repeat things because people don't answer the specificalities (if that's a word) and I'm trying to point-out their neglect.
No, your repetition (it seems) is that you don't seem to realise that you are coming from an entrenched position - and the people responding are equally as dug in.

It just becomes a noisy stalemete.

I just thought that the '...but repeating it doesn't make it any more true' bit was an apt observation which deserved highlighting.

<quack> you bloomin' liar

Shhhhh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, ed, I'll believe you over DD.
Just this once...
8D
Anyway, I'd have to be exceedingly inobservant to fail to realise that marc and co. are as entrenched as I am.
And repeating ourselves is highly unlikely to shift any of us even while it is repeated to the bu*gery (witness Harmison argument - quite simply, Rik and marc find it baffling that someone else cannot see what is so clear to them, so they repeat it in the hope that it'll become more obvious).
In all honesty, this is slightly different to the "you don't know anything about Australian players" trotted-out quite a few times now by Eclipse and age_master.

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:

In all honesty, this is slightly different to the "you don't know anything about Australian players" trotted-out quite a few times now by Eclipse and age_master.
Were not just saying it for the hell of it. We would rather not have to say anything.

However You clearly have very little knowlage of Australian players especialy domesticly and while we dont care about that we do care when you proclame to know what you are talking about to the extent that we might be forgiven for thinking you are the particular player in question.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe you could provide examples of my claiming I know what I don't?
The only thing I can think of resembling this was when you tried to make a big deal out of me saying Gillespie was a swing-bowler, insisting that he was more of a seamer when I never said he wasn't.