• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exciting batsmen

Who is the most exciting batsman in the world?

• Verinder Sehwag

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Shahid Afridi

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Andrew Flintoff

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Sanath Jayasuriya

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matthew Hayden

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And today he got out the way everyone should (the same excuse I use for Clarke), by smacking the ball. He was caught just inside the long off boundary.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you'd prefer be out caught on the boundary than caught behind off a good ball you're an apologist for mediocrity indeed.
That attitude is the cause of so many problems in the English domestic game.

They're not mutually exclusive, Richard. If you have hit a good ball almost over the boundary then you have done f*cking well to get much on it, no?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
furious_ged said:
If the batsman is truly good it's a package deal.
Not neccesarily. No-one would dispute, for instance, Hayden's track-record in easy batting conditions, though it is a bit better than it should be, but he's still as ugly as sin to watch, just a big swing through the line most of the time, and across it on occasions.
Gilchrist is hardly attractive, either, but he's still got a good average (for a wicketkeeper) of about 40.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:

Gilchrist is hardly attractive, either, but he's still got a good average (for a wicketkeeper)
Who said Gilchrist was hardly attractive who are you to judge for other people??
I would dispute that comment because Gilchrist is technicaly quite sound despite his big swing. His drives etc... are stylish if you ask me.

His pull shot is very violent and I can see why some may see it as not estheticly pleasing but others love the way he plays it.

And what are you saying good avrage for a wicket keeper any batsman in the world would love Gilchrist's avrage even if you do think it's inflated by droped catches.
To suggest he would only avrage 40 if not for droped catches is stupid thats like 1500 test runs. And he has only been droped 4 times this year in test cricket and is still avraging about 76.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Another name to through into the mix (I'm not sure if its been mentioned before) is Andrew Symonds. When he is on song he is absolutley brutal and that century in the WC was awesome.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yeah Richard probably does not like Symonds that much because he does not have that classical look about his batting what so ever. Infact I dont think he look's that good estheticaly.

But if you like power then you would find it hard to go past Symonds. His normal cover drives etc.. go to the fence so bloody fast it's not funny.

I think he has gone down hill in his FC game though since about 1999 when he had a magnificent season.

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
About 40?

In FC it's 47 and Test's it's 60 - neither of those are "about 40"
Richard beleves he only deserves an avrage of about 40.

Even I will admit his avrage of 60 is probably somewhat inflated by many factors but he is way better than an avrage of 40.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Exactly right. He is a class batsman, though, and when he is on song, I believe his is in the top 3 batsmen in the world (with Tendulkar and Lara)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard must not see alot of cricket because Gilchrist played some magnificent shots in the TVS Cup especially considering practically every ball he's looking for the boundary.

Eclipse

International Debutant
He is all class and even in tough conditions he performes well.

I dont think Richard know's anything about Australian players.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Not neccesarily. No-one would dispute, for instance, Hayden's track-record in easy batting conditions, though it is a bit better than it should be, but he's still as ugly as sin to watch, just a big swing through the line most of the time, and across it on occasions.
Gilchrist is hardly attractive, either, but he's still got a good average (for a wicketkeeper) of about 40.

shows how much you know about Australian cricketers (basically nothing)

Craig

World Traveller
Tim said:
Richard must not see alot of cricket because Gilchrist played some magnificent shots in the TVS Cup especially considering practically every ball he's looking for the boundary.
That's nothing new Timmy.

He pretty much has played like that his whole FC career and in his formatie years before that.

Craig

World Traveller
Eclipse said:
Yeah Richard probably does not like Symonds that much because he does not have that classical look about his batting what so ever. Infact I dont think he look's that good estheticaly.

But if you like power then you would find it hard to go past Symonds. His normal cover drives etc.. go to the fence so bloody fast it's not funny.

I think he has gone down hill in his FC game though since about 1999 when he had a magnificent season.
I dont think Symonds is any good.

He has certainly under achieved for 95% of his ODI career.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Hershuelle Gibbs, i cant think of anyone who exictes me more than him, when he bats, but SRT comes pretty damn close :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Yeah I'd agree, a lot of the aussies have fine track records, but I hate watching them bat because guys like Hayden, Ponting, Gilchrist just biff the ball (awesomely I know).... I'd still rather watch someone with a sublime technique caress the ball around, even if they arent world class batsmen... (Ganga and McKenzie spring immediatly to mind)

Craig

World Traveller
Against pace bowling bowling McKenzie is one of the best. I reckon he could of done well against the West Indies in the 1980s.

Cloete

International Captain
Other - John Davison

i could watch his innings' against NZ and WI over and over again. that one six against NZ was absolutely MASSIVE!