• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Exciting batsmen

Who is the most exciting batsman in the world?

• Verinder Sehwag

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Shahid Afridi

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Andrew Flintoff

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Sanath Jayasuriya

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matthew Hayden

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Brian Lara

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Or that Ged picks Clarke...;)
<quack> so would I

Yes, but that would be Rikki - and you would be the laughing-stock of Cricket Web

<quack> leave me alone. I'm busy.

What are you doing?

<quack> writing your will

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
furious_ged said:
Has to be Michael Clarke. Absolutely and without a doubt. 44* off 28 says it all! Now that's excitement!

Same Tournament when Rahul Dravid (the wall) hit 50 off 22.

So what does that say?

godofcricket

State 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Why does most exciting have to be scoring quickest?
Everyone has different opinions....i think most people love watching fast scoring players which creats entertainment in the game...thats all i guess.

JohnnyA

U19 12th Man
I think Flintoff is more exciting than Gilchrist to be honest. The way he just mashes the bowling is extraordinary. Gilchrist is much more classical (in comparison), and therefore more classy, but not AS exciting. I would put Lara second, and Gilly third.

PY

International Coach
JohnnyA said:
I think Flintoff is more exciting than Gilchrist to be honest. The way he just mashes the bowling is extraordinary.
When Freddie tonked Pollock with a backfoot on drive about 20 metres over the rope :O:O:O:O. Never seen anything like that power in my lifetime.

Fantastic to see an Englishman doing stuff like that :D

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Why does most exciting have to be scoring quickest?
It doesn't have to, but with Shahid Afridi, something happens every ball he faces, and that includes when he defends the ball because everyone thinks it's such a huge joke.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
It doesn't have to, but with Shahid Afridi, something happens every ball he faces, and that includes when he defends the ball because everyone thinks it's such a huge joke.
Whilst I agree with Rik 100% (as usual:D ), Should Shahid Afridi be included in the poll?

It said 'Batsman'

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Whilst I agree with Rik 100% (as usual:D ), Should Shahid Afridi be included in the poll?

It said 'Batsman'
He's a man, he holds a bat...

It still confuses me when Women cricket players are described as "Batsmen" by some journalists.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
furious_ged said:
Pretty boring by the looks of his strike rate though, when you combine it with a low average.
His average isn't that bad for a bowling all-rounder. He just used to give it a bit of a tonk, didn't come off in ODIs much though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rik said:
He's a man, he holds a bat...

It still confuses me when Women cricket players are described as "Batsmen" by some journalists.
Kim's a batsman. Batswoman sounds rubbish, apparently.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
Kim's a batsman. Batswoman sounds rubbish, apparently.
Don't know what that says about her...;)

I'd just call the person batting a "batter," bad grammer I know but it's ***less.

I think it's a traditionalist thing, in the same way a female 'postie' is called a postman from time to time. That includes any other vocation where 'man' is a suffix intended to indicate a person of that profession. :cool2:

Yeah Rik, when I brought up Nash's stats I was surprised to see his averages were pretty high for a bowler (or bowling allrounder), especially a paceman (on that note, how about 'pacewomen'?). I knew he was able to hold the bat, but I didn't realize he was adept at the Jason Gillespie defence/Andy Bichel intuitive lower order play.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Dion Nash wasn't such an entertaining batsmen to watch, he usually just liked to graft it around.

But he was entertaining when he bowled, pretty much because he got into a verbal battle with any batsmen who decided to take a shot back at him.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Hmm... sometimes I wonder why we bother with these polls. Everyone just picks their favourite player.

Now, who shall I pick?!:P

amits

Banned
Linda said:
Hmm... sometimes I wonder why we bother with these polls. Everyone just picks their favourite player.

Now, who shall I pick?!:P
obviously Sehwag.

he is one of the most entertaining batsman to watch.

another entertainer, who is not even mentioned is Harbhajan Singh.

Harby doesnt score too many runs, but when he bats it is a sure treat to watch. even if he is out for a 1st ball duck, it is still entertaining.

his 4s and 6s are a treat to watch and goes for his shots, no matter what type of a pitch it is.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I have to agree with you about Sehwag.

About Harbhajan, I only included proper batsmen (If you can call Shahid Afridi that) and he is in the side for his bowling. I included Gilchrist because he would get a game as a batmean in the top 6.