• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition - No 09

smash84

The Tiger King
Number 09 Sir Richard Hadlee

Highest Ranking 3
Total Points 791
Number of Votes Received 50/57
Rank in 1st Edition 10

What they said of him

“"Richard Hadlee was a left handed batsman who liked to hit the ball very hard. He was an accurate right arm swing and seam bowler with a good technique and fluent action, with an economic approach to the crease. He was the master of rhythm and swing." (One knight on another. Sir Donald Bradman on Sir Richard Hadlee)

"I think he was the best corridor bowler that I have ever played against or seen at pace, not medium pace, very sharp……He was a majestic bowler.” (Geoff Boycott, himself one of the most difficult to dislodge openers in cricket, on Richard Hadlee)

“Very skillful, very intense, studied the game, studied the opposition, he focused on the goals that he wanted to achieved and he achieved them” (Former South African captain Kepler Wessels)

Sir Richard Hadlee

One of the greatest fast bowlers of all time and counted as a very good all rounder, Richard Hadlee, is the finest cricketer to come from New Zealand and he takes his place of honor at number 9 in CW’s greatest cricketers of all time. Few players in the history of cricket have carried the fortunes of their team to quite the same extent as Richard Hadlee. By the time he retired from international cricket in 1990, at the age of 39 and with a knighthood newly conferred upon him for his services to the game, Hadlee had cemented his place as one of the great fast bowlers of all time, and lifted New Zealand to unprecedented feats in the Test arena. As the first player to reach 400 Test wickets, Hadlee was always assured of immortality, but in addition to his matchless skills with the ball, he was also a hard-hitting batsman of unquestioned skill. His first great demolition job came in Wellington in February 1978 - five years on from his debut - when his 10 wickets, including 6 for 26 in the second innings, condemned England to a first defeat against the Kiwis. However, it was for the Australians that he preserved his finest efforts, and his 15-wicket haul in Brisbane in 1985-86 remains one of the most talked-of moments in Trans-Tasman rivalry. He needed just 79 matches to reach 400 wickets - a phenomenal strike-rate - and he was still very much at the top of his game when, in 1990. Having such a strong attitude about his own cricket, Hadlee was bound to be a majority of one from time to time. But as the years roll by and other New Zealand candidates bid for greatness, they will have to improve on his heroics in that marvellous 1970-90 reign. With cricket changing its shape year by year, with Test cricket being squeezed into corners not required for one-day matches, it may well be that not even the finest New Zealander of the future will surpass the Test deeds of Richard Hadlee. He bowed out against England at his adopted home of Trent Bridge - his second-innings haul of 5 for 53 included a wicket with his very last delivery.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Had him one spot higher. I think he deserves his top 10 placement. Personally, I only rank Marshall higher than him as a bowler.

smash84

The Tiger King
was pretty high on my list too. Around 7 or 8 in my list. Highest ranking is 4 Generally highly rated on here.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
:)

I had him at 25 myself I think, don't think he deserved to be above Hobbs for sure though. Good write up though Smali.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
First player listed of which the "highest ranking" was me. :p

Goddard probably would've if he actually made the 50 though, I dare say. Turner too probably.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I had him at #5. Great bloke, one of those guys that I naturally feel oodles of love for. Second greatest fast bowler after Marshall for mine (not counting Barnes as fast bowler)

I quite like how the ESPN legends of Cricket feature on him introduces him - "...No one had bowled with greater intelligence or control..."

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
First player listed of which the "highest ranking" was me. :p

Goddard probably would've if he actually made the 50 though, I dare say. Turner too probably.
Why haven't you posted in any of the ongoing discussions about Hadlee?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think I had him in the low teens which means I think he is ranked a bit highly here but I think he was actually better than some who are gonna be rated better than him.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I had him in the low teens which means I think he is ranked a bit highly here but I think he was actually better than some who are gonna be rated better than him.
Like who in particular?