• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's next keeper

Who will be Australias next keeper (after Gilly)

• Ryan Campbell

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Brad Haddin

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Nathan Pilon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wade Seccombe

• Graham Manou

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Luke Ronchi

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Shaun Clingeleffer

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • David Dawson

• Peter Roach

• Adam Crosthwaite

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Darren Berry

• Chris Hartley

• Sven Holcombe

• other

• Total voters

iamdavid

International Debutant
This is another area where Australia is really spoiled for choice , wicketkeepers.

There are alot of great young glovemen around the country at the moment , I am just wondering who you guys think will get the job when Adam Gilchrist eventually hangs up the gloves , whenever that may be.

Last edited:
Yeah, Ronchi for mine too. Except at the moment Haddin and Campbell definitely have him covered. Hit a handy 80-odd on first class debut for WA, so he can bat alright. I'd say in a few years he'll be the number 1 keeper on the domestic scene.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LOL, sven would be delighted he made that list david ;)
My vote went to David Dawson, Andre knows i have really high wraps on the guy. Most people here in Canberra have accepted he is both a better keeper and a better batsman than Haddin.
Tasmania have done brilliantly to get him, i hope after his Cricket Aus... cup match (where he got 101* and 40 odd) they realise he has the goods.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Sven's a class act dont under rate him , I go to training every Thursday & bowl my ass off trying to get him out , Im yet to be sucesful:lol: :lol:

As for Dawson , while he is easily a better bat than Clineleffer IMO his keeping is JUST a tiny nothch below , I was suprised he atually went to Tasmania , New South Wales or Victoria seemed a better option to me , because Tasmania have shown faith in 'Cling' in the past & he is young & well established.

At Melbourne , Darren Berry is getting old & Peter Roach is an under acheiver.

Simon

im not under rating Sven at all, its just he is no where near playing first class cricket. All the others on the list have a chance or are playing first class this season.

Tassie offered dawson a rookie contract and he took it, probably a good move as there were no offers from other states to my knowledge.

I have been unimpressed with clingleffer in the last 18 months, both keeping and batting. I dont think he has handled the pressure of being touted as a future Australian keeper very well at all. I dont think its going to be long before dawson has his spot in the Tas line up.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Graham Manou

Graham Manou is the best of the lot (purely on keeping skills)
-- he has very good footwork and is highly agile.

Craig

World Traveller
I voted for Adam Crosswaite, from I have read of him, they were predicitng him as a future Test 'keeper.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think if Gilchrist were to have a season ending injury tomorrow Wade Secombe would get the call up.

However, if as is more likely Gilchrist plays test cricket for another three or four years I think the two best candidates are Manou and Clingeleffer (sp). The only thing against 'Cling' is his batting, and that is the one thing that will go against the next Australian wicket-keeper BATTING. After having such a successfell batsman/keeper as Gilchrist Australia will want a keeper who can average 35+ probably preferably 40+ and that will be the toughest test for our next keeper.

I think the question will be - will Gilchrist give up ODIs in the near future to extend his test match career or will he give up both at the same time? Because he has a big workload ahead of him.

Craig

World Traveller
Well Gilchrist must decide that will he want to play until 2007 because IMO Australia should start heading that way.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
I voted for Adam Crosswaite, from I have read of him, they were predicitng him as a future Test 'keeper.
So did I , I watched him in the under 19's tournament down here last year & he was absolutely superb with both bat & gloves.

I reckon long term him , Manou , Dawson , Ronchi or Haddin will get the job , although I cant rule out Hartley at this stage either , he looks pretty good.

Manou is the best keeper of this young bunch by a mile , his keeping is world class , he has the potential to become a very good batsman but he is just to inconsistent ATM.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I can see Gilly keeping going for several more years yet, it's fairly likely that someone nobody has heard of right now will get the job.

Top_Cat

Manou is the best keeper of this young bunch by a mile , his keeping is world class , he has the potential to become a very good batsman but he is just to inconsistent ATM.
It's arrogance, trust me. I know his club captain well and he has this annoying habit of looking a million dollars and then losing his head in going for a big clog and getting out. It's why his FC average is around 17. Everyone knows he can bat VERY well but he just needs to pull his head in a LOT. For sure, the boy can keep too.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
It's arrogance, trust me. I know his club captain well and he has this annoying habit of looking a million dollars and then losing his head in going for a big clog and getting out. It's why his FC average is around 17. Everyone knows he can bat VERY well but he just needs to pull his head in a LOT. For sure, the boy can keep too.
Yeah I would agree with that 100%

He certainly looks a million dollars with the bat but then just gets out doing somthing incredibly stupid.

Like trying to pull a ball that is about ankle-knee hight (no joke).

His innings yestarday was quite good though and he looked really ****ed when he got out.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
After having such a successfell batsman/keeper as Gilchrist Australia will want a keeper who can average 35+ probably preferably 40+ and that will be the toughest test for our next keeper.
I can't see them finding anyone good enough with the gloves and capable of averaging that highly.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Well Gilchrist must decide that will he want to play until 2007 because IMO Australia should start heading that way.
For ODI's maybe, but I see no justification in taking that view for Tests.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
I can't see them finding anyone good enough with the gloves and capable of averaging that highly.
I don't think any of the keepers at the moment could do it as consistently as Gilchrist. But my point is that now that Australia have seen the best of both worlds great batting and fairly good keeping they will not want to go back to the days of a keeper who averages 25 and is a superb keeper. Who knows in 4 or 5 years when Gilly gives up the test or is forced out because of his massive workload there may be somebody.