View Poll Results: Who will be Australias next keeper (after Gilly)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ryan Campbell

4 13.79%
  • Brad Haddin

8 27.59%
  • Nathan Pilon

0 0%
  • Wade Seccombe

0 0%
  • Graham Manou

2 6.90%
  • Luke Ronchi

8 27.59%
  • Shaun Clingeleffer

1 3.45%
  • David Dawson

1 3.45%
  • Peter Roach

0 0%
  • Adam Crosthwaite

3 10.34%
  • Darren Berry

0 0%
  • Chris Hartley

1 3.45%
  • Sven Holcombe

0 0%
  • other

1 3.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australia's next keeper

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar

Australia's next keeper

This is another area where Australia is really spoiled for choice , wicketkeepers.

There are alot of great young glovemen around the country at the moment , I am just wondering who you guys think will get the job when Adam Gilchrist eventually hangs up the gloves , whenever that may be.
    Last edited by iamdavid; 22-11-2003 at 09:32 PM.

Ronchi get's my vote. To me, he looks special.

Banned
    Canberra (in body), Perth (in spirit), Nagoya (in the future)
    Yeah, Ronchi for mine too. Except at the moment Haddin and Campbell definitely have him covered. Hit a handy 80-odd on first class debut for WA, so he can bat alright. I'd say in a few years he'll be the number 1 keeper on the domestic scene.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    LOL, sven would be delighted he made that list david
    My vote went to David Dawson, Andre knows i have really high wraps on the guy. Most people here in Canberra have accepted he is both a better keeper and a better batsman than Haddin.
    Tasmania have done brilliantly to get him, i hope after his Cricket Aus... cup match (where he got 101* and 40 odd) they realise he has the goods.

Sven's a class act dont under rate him , I go to training every Thursday & bowl my ass off trying to get him out , Im yet to be sucesful

As for Dawson , while he is easily a better bat than Clineleffer IMO his keeping is JUST a tiny nothch below , I was suprised he atually went to Tasmania , New South Wales or Victoria seemed a better option to me , because Tasmania have shown faith in 'Cling' in the past & he is young & well established.

At Melbourne , Darren Berry is getting old & Peter Roach is an under acheiver.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    im not under rating Sven at all, its just he is no where near playing first class cricket. All the others on the list have a chance or are playing first class this season.

Tassie offered dawson a rookie contract and he took it, probably a good move as there were no offers from other states to my knowledge.

I have been unimpressed with clingleffer in the last 18 months, both keeping and batting. I dont think he has handled the pressure of being touted as a future Australian keeper very well at all. I dont think its going to be long before dawson has his spot in the Tas line up.

I reckon Ryan Campbell is the front runner, though Haddin & Secombe would be the other candidates

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar

Graham Manou

Graham Manou is the best of the lot (purely on keeping skills)
    -- he has very good footwork and is highly agile.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    ...and he sure can hit the ball
    His ING innings yesterday was great

I voted for Adam Crosswaite, from I have read of him, they were predicitng him as a future Test 'keeper.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I think if Gilchrist were to have a season ending injury tomorrow Wade Secombe would get the call up.

However, if as is more likely Gilchrist plays test cricket for another three or four years I think the two best candidates are Manou and Clingeleffer (sp). The only thing against 'Cling' is his batting, and that is the one thing that will go against the next Australian wicket-keeper BATTING. After having such a successfell batsman/keeper as Gilchrist Australia will want a keeper who can average 35+ probably preferably 40+ and that will be the toughest test for our next keeper.

I think the question will be - will Gilchrist give up ODIs in the near future to extend his test match career or will he give up both at the same time? Because he has a big workload ahead of him.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Well Gilchrist must decide that will he want to play until 2007 because IMO Australia should start heading that way.

Originally posted by Craig
    I voted for Adam Crosswaite, from I have read of him, they were predicitng him as a future Test 'keeper.
    So did I , I watched him in the under 19's tournament down here last year & he was absolutely superb with both bat & gloves.

I reckon long term him , Manou , Dawson , Ronchi or Haddin will get the job , although I cant rule out Hartley at this stage either , he looks pretty good.

Manou is the best keeper of this young bunch by a mile , his keeping is world class , he has the potential to become a very good batsman but he is just to inconsistent ATM.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I can see Gilly keeping going for several more years yet, it's fairly likely that someone nobody has heard of right now will get the job.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Manou is the best keeper of this young bunch by a mile , his keeping is world class , he has the potential to become a very good batsman but he is just to inconsistent ATM.
    It's arrogance, trust me. I know his club captain well and he has this annoying habit of looking a million dollars and then losing his head in going for a big clog and getting out. It's why his FC average is around 17. Everyone knows he can bat VERY well but he just needs to pull his head in a LOT. For sure, the boy can keep too.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information