• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's next keeper

Who will be Australias next keeper (after Gilly)

• Ryan Campbell

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Brad Haddin

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Nathan Pilon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wade Seccombe

• Graham Manou

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Luke Ronchi

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Shaun Clingeleffer

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • David Dawson

• Peter Roach

• Adam Crosthwaite

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Darren Berry

• Chris Hartley

• Sven Holcombe

• other

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Something that has been touched upon is that Gilchrist is almost an impossible act to follow. While he doesn't deserve an average of 60, few Australians will accept this and so an average of 30 will probably be seen as a massive failure as supposed to a comedown from an exception.
England have exactly the same problem with Stewart - Read is a pretty decent batsman as far as wicketkeepers go, but he's not a patch on Stewart. Jones might come close, but he's got to get into the side first.
What has happened to Clingleffer, I wonder. He looked the million dollars in the u19 tour in 1999. Just goes to show how misleading u19 cricket can be, I guess.

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
Adam Crosthwaite was just picked to go to the U19 world cup, past players in that include Nathan Hauritz, Shane Watson, Andrew McDonald, Cameron White and Micheal Clarke

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Something that has been touched upon is that Gilchrist is almost an impossible act to follow. While he doesn't deserve an average of 60, few Australians will accept this and so an average of 30 will probably be seen as a massive failure as supposed to a comedown from an exception.
England have exactly the same problem with Stewart - Read is a pretty decent batsman as far as wicketkeepers go, but he's not a patch on Stewart. Jones might come close, but he's got to get into the side first.
What has happened to Clingleffer, I wonder. He looked the million dollars in the u19 tour in 1999. Just goes to show how misleading u19 cricket can be, I guess.

there is alot of emphasis on keepers batting abilities these days. i would say an Aussie Keeper would want to average 40 to assure a permanant spot in the test side

Ronchi will be the next long term keeper for mine

Craig

World Traveller
Yet he cant even make the WA team.

if he does play for Australia he will become the first New Zealand born cricketer since the useless Brendon Juilen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Linda said:
Since when did Gilchrist not deserve his success?
Since he got dropped loads in most of the substantial runs he scored from March 2001 to March 2002.
He has deserved most of the runs he got from Pakistan 2002 (not that he got many) to the current series. I can't remember him getting too many let-offs.

Craig

World Traveller
Last time I remember Gilchrist being dropped was in South Africa last year. But my memorey is shot at the moment.

BTW Richard do you have MSN?

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I like the look of Manou, but as someone said, it could very well be someone that we have never heard of - akin to selecting an Australian team in say 5 years time, only using the current batch of players available.

But in terms of Gilchrist's replacement, Seccombe would be my choice. Quite a solid bat too, although not as quick a scorer as Gilly.

Gilchrist will definitely be a hard act to follow. An absolute phenomenon.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Since he got dropped loads in most of the substantial runs he scored from March 2001 to March 2002.
He has deserved most of the runs he got from Pakistan 2002 (not that he got many) to the current series. I can't remember him getting too many let-offs.
Ok, then, before March 2001 and after March 2002, he's averaged 57.51.