Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CW50 2nd Edition - No 10

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

CW50 2nd Edition - No 10

Ranked as one of the 5 cricketers of the century by Wisden, we start our top 10 countdown with

Number 10 Sir Jack Hobbs

Highest Ranking 4
    Total Points 647
    Number of Votes Received 40/57
    Rank in 1st Edition 5

What they said of him

"There is hardly a soul in the British Empire who does not know of England's greatest Cricketer... Jack Hobbs." (Opening screen of an official documentary on Jack Hobbs in 1932)

“As we were taking the field against the M.C.C. our captain Herbie Collins said "You must all be on your toes out here today. We'll be facing 'The Master'". I had no idea who "The Master" was so I asked Arthur Mailey. Arthur replied, "'The Master's' Jack Hobbs and you'll soon see why." I did. He tapped the ball here, there and everywhere and had us all running around in circles as if he were the ring-master of a circus and we his obedient and bewildered slaves.” (Hal Hooker narrating an incident regarding the thrall that Hobbs was held in)

“Behind them were nine years of wonderful attainment, 26 opening partnerships of 100 or more; a legendary technique and repute unequalled by any other pair; the lean, active quizzical Hobbs and the neat, wiry imperturbable Sutcliffe, who set a standard that can serve as a guide, but defied all attempts at emulation.” (Hobbs’s biographer Ronald Mason on the partnership between Hobbs and Sutcliffe)

Jack Hobbs

Every December 16, a special club meets at The Oval for a lunch party to celebrate the anniversary of the birth of one man. The menu, by tradition, is that man's favourite meal--tomato soup, roast lamb, apple pie--though it is now nearly 40 years since he himself was able to attend. At this lunch, there is just one toast. It is, quite simply, to "The Master". This is the Master's Club. Note the position of the apostrophe. There is only one Master: Jack Hobbs. The vast majority of the guests now never even saw him play. But the tradition thrives. It is a telling tribute, not simply to Hobbs the cricketer, but to Hobbs the human being. Jack Hobbs scored more runs than anyone else in the history of first-class cricket: 61,237. He scored more centuries than anyone else, 197. Most astonishingly from a modern perspective, the last 98 came after his 40th birthday. However, his career batting average is 50.65, which does not even put him in Wisden's top fifty. Only sixteen of those hundreds were double-hundreds. One says only with trepidation, because just four men have surpassed that. But the figure does not remotely compare with Bradman's 37 or Walter Hammond's 36. Hobbs was not primarily interested in scoring runs for their own sake. For much of his career he would go in at the top of a strong Surrey batting order on good Oval pitches. His job was to get the innings started. He would frequently be out for a-hundred-and-few, and was content enough himself with 60 or 70, though he liked to please his friends who took such things more seriously. But there were other times, when wickets had fallen and the ball was flying: "That was the time you had to earn your living," he said. More than that, it was when he earned his undying reputation, his knighthood and his place as a Cricketer of the Century. He was never as dominant as Bradman; he never wanted to be. But his contemporaries were in awe of his ability to play supremely and at whim, whatever the conditions.
    Hobbs set the standard for 20th-century batsmanship. As he attained his peak in the years before the First World War, he switched the emphasis away from gentlemanly Victorian off-side play to a more pragmatic approach, with an emphasis on the businesslike pull, plus an acute judgment of length, footwork and, where necessary, pad play to counter the googly bowlers of his youth. He was not an artist, like some of his predecessors, nor yet a scientist, like some of the moderns; he was perhaps the supreme craftsman. (John Wisden and Co)
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Banned
    Wow, expected him to be top 6

why top 6 and why not top 5?

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Great stuff Smali. Very well done.

Thought Hobbs would be higher up on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Banned
    Because i believe the top 6 were locked on to be Don, Sobers, Imran, Hobbs, Sachin and Warne, with a few variations in order. The rest after 6 were difficult to predict for me

I myself had Hobbs at exactly the same position in my list , but i thought the consensus on CW was that he was probably the best after Bradman and Sobers. Loving the list and the writeup though... good stuff
    Last edited by Satguru; 08-04-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Great stuff Smali. Very well done.

Thanks Agent.

I added the "what they said of him" this time around to make it more interesting.

I hope people like it.

Reagardless, a tad too low, especially considering some of the names yet to come.
    1st XI
    Hutton | Hobbs | Bradman* | Richards^ | Tendulkar | Sobers5^ | Gilchrist+ | Khan3 | Marshall1 | Warne4^ | McGrath2
    2nd XI
    Sutcliffe | Gavaskar* | Headley | Chappell^ | Lara^ | Kallis5^ | Knott+ | Hadlee3 | Ambrose2 | Lillee1 | Muralitharan4
    3rd XI
    Greenidge | Richards^ | Ponting^ | Pollock | Hammond^ | Worrell5* | Waite+ | Akram3 | Steyn1 | Holding2 | O'Reilly4
    4th XI
    Morris | Simpson^ | Sangakkara | Weekes^ | Border*^ | Walcott+ | Faulkner5 | Laker4 | Trueman1 | Garner3 | Donald2

Yes, very well done Smali, loving the pic of the master.

thanks kyear2

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Good work Ikram... from next time do try to add a video as well
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Actually much easier to post link to Cricinfo Lengends of Cricket video for each player.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Wow, MacGill in the top ten? Nice work CW!
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I had Hobbs a few places lower IIRC. I am guessing Kallis is next.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Absent this obsession with Test cricket do you reckon Cheeqs would have made it?

Wow, much lower than I expected - I had The Master at #6 and thought I'd be on the low side. Amazed as many as 17/57 didn't vote for him at all in their 25.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information