• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal vs Saqlain

The better spinner of the two

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I guess so, but Swann has been doing it a bit longer and Ajmal may struggle a bit when he has to bowl to better players of spin.
Umm I don't mean to knock down Swann, but didn't he have a very ordinary series against India last year?

EDIT: mistook your post as claiming Swann has done well against good players of spin which is not necessarily what you are saying.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess so, but Swann has been doing it a bit longer and Ajmal may struggle a bit when he has to bowl to better players of spin.
Ajmal bowled bloody well to SL batsmen. And the pitches he bowled well lot less helpful than ones that Swann bowled on.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Saqlain, at his peak, was the best ODI spinner of all time IMO. In tests, he could've been something more than what he ended up being. One theory is that he overused his doosra and became very easy to figure out. The PCB seemed to agree as they dropped him after the home series against India in '04 where he went something like 1/250, from both formats. His performances in India were excellent and put him ahead of Mushtaq Ahmed and maybe even Abdul Qadir for me. But Ajmal is certainly a much more consistent spinner than all the above in Tests and hence I shall vote for him.

But going back to ODIs just for a minute, I've always had the impression that Ajmal bowls (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) somewhat defensively, controlling the run rate etc., whereas Saqlain was always looking to strike and was damn good at it.

farisriaz

Cricket Spectator
Ajmal New Test Bowler Ranking No 2 And Point 835 And No3 in T 20 Point & ODI Ranking No 2 And Point 835.

So Which is best SAQLIAN OR AJMAL