• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition (aka WWIII) - No 11 - 12

smash84

The Tiger King
Number 12 WG Grace

Highest Ranking 1
Total Points 633
Number of Votes Received 31/57
Rank in 1st Edition 3

It is more than 150 years since WG Grace was born, but there are other ways of measuring how distant he is in time. For one thing, no one still alive, not even Jim Swanton, can remember seeing him play (although in Sort Of A Cricket Person, EWS notes that "I am supposed to have watched [him] from my perambulator on the Forest Hill ground round 1910"). Eight decades have passed since Grace died, yet he dogs us still, demanding our attention at regular intervals. The statistics of his career are alone enough to explain why - more than 54,000 first-class runs (there are at least two different versions of the precise figure, so let's leave it at that) spread across 44 seasons, including 839 in just eight days of 1876, when he hit a couple of triple-centuries, and only one other batsman managed to top a thousand runs in the entire season; a thousand in May in 1895, when he was nearly 47; and 2800-odd wickets costing less than 18 runs apiece. I suppose we might wonder why his bowling average wasn't even more impressive, given the ropey pitches on which Dr Grace played. No modern cricketer would deign to turn out on them, which makes his batting all the more wondrous.

Number 11 Glenn McGrath

Highest Ranking 3
Total Points 637
Number of Votes Received 43/57
Rank in 1st Edition 13

The young Glenn McGrath was described by Mike Whitney as "thin - but Ambrose-thin, not Bruce Reid-thin". Much later, Mike Atherton compared McGrath to Ambrose on a vaster scale. Catapulted from the outback of New South Wales into Test cricket to replace Merv Hughes in 1993, McGrath became the greatest Australian fast bowler of his time. He went on to beat Courtney Walsh's 519 wickets in the 2005 Super Test to become the leading wicket-taker among fast bowlers and his claim to the title of Australia's greatest fast man is contested only by Dennis Lillee. His obituary was prepared a few times - he was doubted after coming back in 2004 from ankle surgery and there were similar fears following a long lay-off to care for his wife two years later - but he wrote his own farewells. He retired from Tests at the SCG - his home ground - after Australia whitewashed England 5-0 in the 2006-07 Ashes.

smash84

The Tiger King
To add to it McGrath could do everything that Lillee could and he could do it 10 miles slower which is why he is 10 positions behind Lillee (21) :p

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
W.G is the interesting one.

From the discussion in other threads it seems we are split 50/50 in that some selected him based on the opening thread title, and some selected him based on the Test criteria.

Shame not everyone selected on a consistent basis as W.G is the toughest of all cricketers to place based on Test cricket alone.

Glenn McGrath would destroy his forward defence however. Chris Martin like gap between bat and pad in that picture.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I had Grace at #6 and McGrath at #15.

I decided to include Grace last minute and the ranking was chosen rather arbitrarily as it's hard to compare him with other cricketers who are mainly judged on test cricket. It's a pity though that his final ranking is not representative of where CW overall ranks him because of all the confusion over who is qualified to be included.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So only one new entrant in top 10 compared to last time, and a very deserving one too :cool:

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
The 14 who didn't have McGrath in the top 25 is interesting. McGrath is rated quite fairly on this forum, however to suggest he is not in the top 25 Test cricketers of all time is quite astonishing.

I would be interested to know any serious justifications for why McGrath was left out by these 14 individuals.

smash84

The Tiger King
The 14 who didn't have McGrath in the top 25 is interesting. McGrath is rated quite fairly on this forum, however to suggest he is not in the top 25 Test cricketers of all time is quite astonishing.

I would be interested to know any serious justifications for why McGrath was left out by these 14 individuals.
Not even the top ranked cricketer received a vote from everybody :p

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I had Grace at #3, McGrath at #13, and am very happy for Howe's cat.

So only one new entrant in top 10 compared to last time, and a very deserving one too :cool:
I ranked the new entry very high indeed, so I can't complain.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

25 cricketers (at least) better than him.. :p

I'm a little bit keener on allrounders than most, a little bit keener on pre-war players than most and a little bit keener on players who had really long careers than most. I'll put it this way - I think I probably rate McGrath to a similar level to those who picked him in the 10-25 range, but I rate other cricketers higher than they do, so they overtook him.