• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition (aka WWIII) - No 16 - 20

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I suspect this means that WG Grace is not reckoned to be in CW's greatest 10 cricketers in history. That may be a reflection of people being told this was about Test cricket only (despite the thread title) and if so I can perhaps understand it. It may also be a reflection of people's modern-era bias which is also understandable. But either way it's a pity, and more than a little ridiculous.
I would've put Grace at #1 had the word "Test" not been included in the OP. As it stood I didn't vote for him at all.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I suspect this means that WG Grace is not reckoned to be in CW's greatest 10 cricketers in history. That may be a reflection of people being told this was about Test cricket only (despite the thread title) and if so I can perhaps understand it. It may also be a reflection of people's modern-era bias which is also understandable. But either way it's a pity, and more than a little ridiculous.
Indeed, on all counts.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I would've put Grace at #1 had the word "Test" not been included in the OP. As it stood I didn't vote for him at all.
As I say that's understandable and fair enough (and good to know!). The pity is the mismatch between the thread title and the "test only" stipulation. I really don't want to bitch about the running of the comp, and frankly I don't think any of this should be taken too seriously anyway, but I do think it's a tiny bit unfortunate.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember quite a few people mentioning basing their voting around the "Test only" criteria - hence the Doctor's predicament.

I'll be interested to see who else of the remaining dozen has joined Grace in missing out on the top 10. I reckon there are about six locks for the top 10, with the others all up for grabs.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Saying that you can't compare a batsman from the 20s with an allrounder from 80s and a wicket keeper from the new millennium may or may not be true. But if it is true then there is no point in compiling a top 50 cricketers in order since you can't differentiate between people. And certainly if Weldone feels that way then he should not have submitted a list because it just muddies things for those who tried to differentiate between their top 11 rather than putting them in random order because they were "interchangeable".

Yes, better said than I put it. His list, but I find the reasonings a bit contradictory.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
If Marshall doesn't make the top ten I'll eat my cat.
+1

Top 5 for me, but I may be a bit biased as I honestly belive that he is the Greatest Fast Bolwer ever. Statistically and impact wise he is up there.
Bradman, Sobers, Tendulkar, Imran, Richards, Hobbs, Marshall, Warne, Murali, Hadlee seems to be the top 10, interesting to see the order though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, weldone should have never submitted his list, especially because he could not find a place for Shane Warne :dry:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon the locks are Hobbs, Bradman, Sobers, Imran, Tendulkar and Warne. Can't imagine any of them will miss out.
Marshall, Hadlee, Muralitharan and Barnes will complete the 10 I reckon.

Yes, weldone should have never submitted his list, especially because he could not find a place for Shane Warne :dry:
I agree. I had to be 100% certain about Gavaskar's straight drives to Andy Roberts in 1975 being 2.35892% better than Shane Warne's legspin to Alec Stewart in 1996. Otherwise, I have no right to take part in this Bible :p

smash84

The Tiger King
I agree. I had to be 100% certain about Gavaskar's straight drives to Andy Roberts in 1975 being 2.35892% better than Shane Warne's legspin to Alec Stewart in 1996. Otherwise, I have no right to take part in this Bible :p
:laugh: