• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition (aka WWIII) - No 16 - 20

Fusion

Global Moderator
Excepting Hammond, the rankings of these players are not that far off from where I had them. I had:

Hammond (10)
Barnes (15)
Miller (16)
Akram (19)
Ambrose (23)

Eds

International Debutant
#24 Keith Miller
#19 Curtly Ambrose
#17 Wasim Akram
#16 Sydney Barnes
#7 Walter Hammond

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Forgot Hammond, but apparently he was a **** so that's ok. Didn't have Ambrose either.

7 Barnes
14 Miller
19 Wasim

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hammond was an oversight on my behalf....

Others:

Barnes (#9)
Ambrose (#21)
Miller (#22)
Akram (#24)

smash84

The Tiger King
Wasim does edge out Lillee by just one point and both are just on the end of the top 20 which I found interesting.

Both of them not rated quite as highly on CW as among the general population

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Can some one please explain to me whu Wasim is rated so highly? I get it that he had variety but he also took a disproportionally high number of tail end wickets and even then his stats are not that jaw dropping.

Surprised how low Hammond is rated. One of the greatest batsmen and slip fielders of All Time and a very under rated bowler.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can some one please explain to me whu Wasim is rated so highly? I get it that he had variety but he also took a disproportionally high number of tail end wickets and even then his stats are not that jaw dropping.

Surprised how low Hammond is rated. One of the greatest batsmen and slip fielders of All Time and a very under rated bowler.
Wasim got many, many votes in the 20 to 25 mark and I think that is quite a fair position for him. I have always thought that Wasim just had a fantastic action and was a pleasure to watch and others probably think the same.

Hammond is one of those Cricketers who if it weren't for CW, I probably wouldn't have rated as highly as I do now. There are players with similar batting averages from his era that generally don't get as big a mention so I think with decent enough reasoning, Hammond was overlooked by people who don't know his story.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King

A case like Lillee perhaps

He was awesome to watch and could do with the ball more than any other fast bowler (and I dare say EVER).

Ask his peers Ambrose and McGrath (and quench your Akram love :p)

Curtly Ambrose

All-time favourite fast bowler My two favourite fast bowlers of all time are Wasim Akram and Glenn McGrath. Akram, to me, had done things with a cricket ball not too many people could do: he could swing the ball, new or old, any time of the day, any time of the match. He was just a special bowler. McGrath was very similar to me. We both kept it very simple: we could put the ball on the spot all day long, the whole week. It was just natural. Both of us just improved with years.

Glenn McGrath

All-time favourite fast bowler My hero growing up was Dennis Lillee. But from my playing days, the guys who stand out for me, and I like watching, were Ambrose and Akram. I liked watching Curtly - he could just crack and get everyone one quickly, and he looked so laidback and relaxed. Akram just powered through the crease left-arm, could swing the ball both ways, was an incredible fast bowler.

Eight former fast bowlers pick their all-time and current favourite quicks | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I had:

Barnes #10
Miller #12
Ambrose #14
Hammond #20

Wasim Akram was not in my list. Gilchrist will be the only one in top 15 that didn't make my list at all. Pretty solid top 15 is coming up, I must say (except Barnes and Miller missing out)
Good stuff mate.