• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan v New Zealand ODI series

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
As I said, it wouldn't be in the best interests of either parties.
New Zealand i'd say will be looking to bring in a few younger players now & Wasim is getting on in years..i'd say Jones & Cumming will be the last in the age bracket of 28-30 to be picked.

PY

International Coach
Harris seems to be keeping the scoreboard ticking over nicely. It would be the perfect innings if Cairns was at the other end.....:(

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a little confusing because there are 2 conversations of this match going on....I think if we want to talk about the ODI's we should use the *official* thread.

PY

International Coach
Didn't know which one to post in. Same has happened with the India vs Australia series. I will copy and paste. :)

THE MINGSTER

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tim said:
As I said, it wouldn't be in the best interests of either parties.
New Zealand i'd say will be looking to bring in a few younger players now & Wasim is getting on in years..i'd say Jones & Cumming will be the last in the age bracket of 28-30 to be picked.
He's got a big future for us.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
If Wasim has made NZ his home, then why not pick him if he's good enough?

I don't think it would be a case of him coming to NZ to specifcally break the national side, rather he came to become a NZer and live here which is a more important consideration.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Just ordered my copy....it's released 12th December here in New Zealand.

Seems like the developers didn't have all the time in the world to develop this game, didn't have enough time to personalise certain players. It's not realistic when Adam Gillcrest plays like any other attacking left-hand batsman, and when spin bowlers flight the ball the same.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im not saying that I wouldn't pick him..if he's scoring runs then why not? but from a selectors point of view, I think its unlikely they'd pick him.

thierry henry

International Coach
What the hell was that?

Is that NZs new tactic for chasing a total now? Just bat out 50 overs with wickets in hand without ever even trying to win?

Inexperience and straight out lack of ability are an excuse for poor execution, but they are NOT an excuse for flat-out not even trying to win when chasing an achievable target. I was embarrassed and disgusted by that effort.

Kimbo

International Debutant
It certainly was embarassing. I think NZ's tactic has been to wait for Cairns to come in and see if he can play one of his freakish innings to pull off victory. And basically its a rare occasion...

One positive for NZ is certainly Hamish Marshall. NZ were never gonna challenge Pakistan with their line up, but Marshall has done really well and shown he should be a fixture in the side. This is a real bonus for NZ, I don't think they actually expected anything of any of these players.

As far as players like Jones/Cumming go... well it shows that some players will just never be good enough to step up to international level. I know its harsh but you can see in young players like Marshall a good technique and a good head. In Jones and Cumming you see players that can succeed against poor attacks only.

thierry henry

International Coach
I have my reservations about Marshall. He batted well in the first match but in game 3 and game 5 I feel that his success was due in no small part to a no-pressure environment that he himself was partly responsible for creating. Last night in particular he was one of the guilty parties in making no real effort to accelerate the run rate.

Jones and Cumming are certainly not up to it. I think Jones proves to all Mark Richardson fans why Richardson shouldn't play ODIs. There is just no room for a gritty but severely limited batsman in the one-day game these days. What really got to me was that neither Jones nor Cumming ever even tried to lift the tempo. I would've been happier if at some point between the 10th and 15th overs they were both dismissed playing rash shots. They more or less batted us out of the game and it really did seem almost deliberate.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
On 2 occassions NZ left their run-chase way too late.
The tactics were strange, but from what I can gather that sums up Ashley Ross...I guess this was another one of his innovations.
Block up 40 overs & then perform a miracle in the last 10 overs.

stevo22

Cricket Spectator
thierry henry said:
I have my reservations about Marshall. He batted well in the first match but in game 3 and game 5 I feel that his success was due in no small part to a no-pressure environment that he himself was partly responsible for creating. Last night in particular he was one of the guilty parties in making no real effort to accelerate the run rate.
Don't agree on that score - by the time he came in the game was all but gone anyway.
When you're chasing a big score the last thing you need is your openers scoring at 3 an over for the first 15.
Compare to my team (england) with trescothick and vaughan - if they stay in for the first 15 england more often than not have 80 or 90 on the board because tresco scores quickly.

His scoring rate was actually the quickest of anyone except canning who came in at the end to have a lash.
A run a ball aint bad considering the calibre of the bowling attack.
If cairns had stuck around maybe it would have been close but pakistan got 30 - 40 more than they should have, as they've done all series.

anzac

International Debutant
thierry henry said:
What the hell was that?

Is that NZs new tactic for chasing a total now? Just bat out 50 overs with wickets in hand without ever even trying to win?

Inexperience and straight out lack of ability are an excuse for poor execution, but they are NOT an excuse for flat-out not even trying to win when chasing an achievable target. I was embarrassed and disgusted by that effort.

totally agreed.......I have ignored this thread even tho I started it as it was not the 'official' thread for the series. You should check out my posts on the other thread to see what I had to say about it!!!!!!!

;)

anzac

International Debutant
Tim said:
On 2 occassions NZ left their run-chase way too late.
The tactics were strange, but from what I can gather that sums up Ashley Ross...I guess this was another one of his innovations.
Block up 40 overs & then perform a miracle in the last 10 overs.

if this is Ross' idea of cricket strategy then the sooner he is got rid of at least for ODIs the better - even so far as his being no2 to Bracewell for ODIs.

One would hope that Bracewell's ODI strategy is greatly different from this, and if so then I do not think you can work effectively if your no2 has such a different ideology.

The ONLY thing that should save him is if he was playing it to orders from above & that this was for a deliberate game plan beyond that ODI series.

:!(

anzac

International Debutant
stevo22 said:
Don't agree on that score - by the time he came in the game was all but gone anyway.
When you're chasing a big score the last thing you need is your openers scoring at 3 an over for the first 15.
Compare to my team (england) with trescothick and vaughan - if they stay in for the first 15 england more often than not have 80 or 90 on the board because tresco scores quickly.

His scoring rate was actually the quickest of anyone except canning who came in at the end to have a lash.
A run a ball aint bad considering the calibre of the bowling attack.
If cairns had stuck around maybe it would have been close but pakistan got 30 - 40 more than they should have, as they've done all series.

agreed.....read my posts on the other thread to see my comments re the batting........

Marshall is not an explosive / impact batsman. His style is about building an innings. His stats for the tour (his ODI debut) are very good. Batting at no4 he batted thru twice (meaning he can stick around); he scored a ton & 2 halves from 5 innings (meaning he can score runs as well as stick around and did it consistantly), was the top run scorer for the team (no explanation required), his average was 80+ as was his strike rate. This latter point regarding his strike rate is only bettered by impact batsman / allrounders, who score quick runs but do not stick around for long.

That strike rate is better than any of the established batsmen in the ODI squad - yes its only 5 matches but this is IMO a better Pakistani bowling attack that defeated NZ 2-1 in the last series in which Ahktar blew the 'normal' ODI side off the park & took figures of 6 for 12 or something ridiculous.

:)