• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan v New Zealand ODI series

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate, to save confusion between NZ Domestic & NZ international we'll talk about this in the thread topic: NZ Domestic Season

THE MINGSTER

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tim said:
I'd say Mason would max at around 135 km's, he doesn't get much swing, he tries to bowl every ball just outside off-stump..hence the reason why is FC bowling stats are very good.
No way. Not in the max 135's.

Tuffey at best only bowls at 130km/h, and Mason is about the same.

Well everyone in NZ has good bowling stats.

Look through all the bowlers in the State Championship sides, all the medium pacers (Canning, Walker) have averages under 25.

The pitches help them too much.

Mason is a good prospect but I doubt he would break into the starting XI. He is a Tuffey type of bowler, hitting the right lines but not at an extreme pace.

If only Butler could be more consistent, we could have him and Bond open up, and have Tuffey at his rightful spot of first change.

THE MINGSTER

southern man said:
Jeff Wilson backed up his 3 wickets yestrday with 2 today, for his 6th 5 wicket bag in first class cricket.
And his 101st wicket in first-class cricket.

Well this may be the season where Jeff will have to show that he's improving or else he may miss out on playing for NZ again because he's 29?

I think he should be aiming for NZ 'A' because its doubtful the selectors would pick him before players like Adams, Canning & Walker at this stage.
Why do you think this?

Bracewell has indicated he dislikes the ODI makeup of the side.

Canning showed last night, that despite his oustanding record on NZ pitches, his medium pacers are of no use. His batting has improved, but still not good enough than to bat higher than 8 in ODI's.

Wilson bowls at a much quicker pace, at the same as Tuffey's and doesn't shy away from the confrontation stuff. His batting is proven and has been in great form in the pre-season games.

Adams is too inconsistent, unless he can string together solid performances together, he will never will a permanent fixture in the side.

Walker is definitely a good containing bowler, and could be the replacement for Harris to complement Vettori in the middle stages of an innings.

As someone has told me, his rugby background might ensure him a longer stay in cricket than some.

THE MINGSTER

meatspx said:
Franklin did alright in the VB series. He just lacks the pace to trouble batsman frequently, and he was used at the death where he was exposed.

Oram was very dissapointing in the Indian tour; but he's a better bowler than that. He usually bowls with enough precision and gets a good amount of pace to add variety to the NZ attack, but I'd rather have him bowling first change. NZ needs a bowler to accompany Tuffey, and I don't see Butler taking up that role (espiscally in the ODIs). Pace isn't enough to be troubling to batsman and it can work against you at the start of the innings, espiecally when you spray 1-2 balls every over on the legs of the batsman as Butler does.

With the new injury to Bond it looks ominous, but NZ can get through the summer without him to be competitive.
So who to partner Tuffey then?

Butler is still to inconsistent, but he will only improve. He has pace, and our attack currently is dull, and same, right arm over mediums. It's not going to trouble and get 20 wickets in a Test Match.

Oram is best at first-change and did that job well in the World Cup, ending up as our 2nd best bowler. He is extremely economical, and is one of our limited bowlers to put the ball consistently on a good length.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
It depends on the state of the wickets. If they have sufficient movement, with scores of 300 being competitive in the test matches, then a bowling line-up of Tuffey/Butler/Oram/Cairns/Vettori/Styris can be workable.

Adams, Hitchcock and Mills can be used in the ODIs instead of Butler.

As a New Zealand supporter the most i'm concerned about if the ODI batting line-up. I'm crossing my fingers that they don't persist with Vincent if he continues with what he has done in his first 60 matches, and that Astle and Fleming return from injury.

I wouldn't be surprised if the selectors try and throw Harris or McCullum up the order for disastorous results. If NZ wants a pinch hitter in the ODIs (which is understandable), McCullum or whoever (not Nevin) should be given ample opportunity - not 2-3 innings at the top, the WHOLE series instead.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well good for him, but the key is whether he can follow that 70* with good scores in the next Championship match in a few days.

The innings will mean bugger all if he fails in his next 2 innings.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well Richard Jones seems to be flavour of the month with the selectors so i'd say he'll come into the team.

Vincent will definately get the nod to open with Richardson in the 1st test unless he is injured.

Richardson
Vincent
Jones
Styris
McMillan
Cairns
Oram
Hart
Vettori
Tuffey
Butler

This isn't the team i'd like to see, but I think this is more than likely what the selectors will go for....Batting Cairns at 6 & Oram at 7 exposes the middle order imo.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really think it will be in the best interests of NZ cricket & also Wasim...he's a pretty good player & offers NZ bowlers some good competition but no, he's played for Pakistan already so end of story.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I see - for some reason I was thinking of a pace bowler.

His figures aren't too flash, and his previous 18 Tests for Pakistan didn't really show him to be that good a player.

How come he's allowed to play so soon?

southern man

U19 Cricketer
he now lives in Dunedin full time.
he has said he wants to play for us.

its not really that soon he has been here for 3 years.
Well his recent test stats may not be the best but i would perfer him over Vincent.

Last edited: