• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Legspin or Offspin?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Legspinners RPO is usually higher, but from personnal slogging experience, it is easier to slog offspinners because you can heave them with the spin on the legside. When you do that with a leggie, it is against the spin, and it usually spoons up in the air and I get caught

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
ive been bowling offies for 7-8 years now..started really early and been developing right through.. i find it easy to bowl offies when i started of maybe because thats what i was taught at the start.. Its been working really well for me i get real good turn on artificial pitches and good flight aswell as ive been coached professionaly..
Although i havent been slogged much at all.. it is true that ive seen offies get slogged.. if you slight bowl off length or something since the bowl slightly will turn into you as a right hander the punishment is harsher..

But the thing is even though i had bad days i dont revert to medium pace..i just stick to offies. so i reckon if you want to be good or specialize on one thing you have to stick to it..

for variation ive learnt to bowl the arm ball well, top spinner , still trying to bowl the doosra as im a finger spinner aswell.. and ive got another secret which is well disguised and comes through straight in and quick except in a normal offies grip and same runup etc like my offies..do bowl the leggies once in a while for variation

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I bowl leggies, and I have mastered the googly, topspinner, etc., but for some unknown reason, about 90% of all my wickets are with legspinners, probably because it is spinning away from the right handed batsman

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Go and live in Sri Lanka.
There it's practically the other way around with the seamers.

Legglancer

State Regular
Re: Offspin v Legspin

Paid The Umpire said:
Leg Spin:
Less Acurate
More Turn
Harder to Hit

Off Spin:
Very Acurate
Little Turn
Have To Flight Ball or Get Bounce
Easy to Be Slogged

-------------

2) You will not get a bowl. Last weekend, i was the only spinner and didn't come on to bowl until the other team were 2-180ish and the openner was 90ish. You don't get any fresh batters, unless you get them out yourself. Spinner are sadly, the LAST RESORT for a captain regardless of your talent.
Sorry about your plight mate .... perhaps you are playing mostly on pacie wickets ....or maybe your team has some excellent fast bowlers. However some spinners can deliver the goods on any wicket provided that they are very good and usually are very hard to come by. As a spinner you cant always have the luxury of bowling at fresh batsman unless you are a strike bowler who has a good track record. If you are not up to the mark and are not accurate enough the batsman gets a free ticket to get his eye in.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
Legspinners RPO is usually higher, but from personnal slogging experience, it is easier to slog offspinners because you can heave them with the spin on the legside. When you do that with a leggie, it is against the spin, and it usually spoons up in the air and I get caught
Swinging against the spin is always harder, of course it is, but the main reason wristspinners are harder to hit is simply because they turn the ball more than fingerspinners, so you've got to play it later if you want to hit it off the middle of the bat.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Re: Re: Offspin v Legspin

Legglancer said:
Sorry about your plight mate .... perhaps you are playing mostly on pacie wickets ....or maybe your team has some excellent fast bowlers. However some spinners can deliver the goods on any wicket provided that they are very good and usually are very hard to come by. As a spinner you cant always have the luxury of bowling at fresh batsman unless you are a strike bowler who has a good track record. If you are not up to the mark and are not accurate enough the batsman gets a free ticket to get his eye in.
Exactly right, I bowl leg-spin, and I usually bowl the most overs in the innings:)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Richard said:
Swinging against the spin is always harder, of course it is, but the main reason wristspinners are harder to hit is simply because they turn the ball more than fingerspinners, so you've got to play it later if you want to hit it off the middle of the bat.
I agree, but for me it is more the direction the ball is spinning

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
halsey said:
I agree, but for me it is more the direction the ball is spinning
If the ball's spinning only a few inches it's easier to hit against than a couple of feet, but yes, it's always a better option to hit with the spin when playing off the front foot.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Craig said:
You hit the ball against the spin?
As a bowling all-rounder who can come in and give it a bit of a slog, yes. If I was a proper batsman, no, but I am not a proper batsman

halsey said:
I think the number of good leggies and good offies is about the same. Warne, Kumble, Kaneria, etc. are good leggies (notice the exclusion of MacGill) and Murali, Saqlain (although he has been crap lately) and Harbhajan are good offies. But there are way more good left arm orthodox spin bowlers than there are chinamen
it appears you are stating kaneria to be better than macgill, most bizarre

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I most certainly rate Kaneria above MacGill.
Though it is true, of course, that much of Kaneria's best figures have come against Bangladesh.
MacGill has failed consistently for years almost every series. He's got good figures against Bangladesh (wow, that's hard), England in 1998\9 (and we were really fantastic against anyone who could turn the ball just a bit more than a bit in those days, weren't we?) and in a couple of other one-off Tests.