• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Things you used to get in old-time cricket ...

stumpski

International Captain
... and don't anymore.

I'd better specify what I mean by that: I'm not talking about curved bats, underarm bowling, gentlemen playing in three-cornered hats, or members of the gentry putting 100 guineas on their team to win. I meant more stuff which (some of) you might remember from 20-30 years ago, to whit:

Unhelmeted close-in fielders
Umpires in big coats
Domestic competitions sponsored by cigarette companies
Counties playing at six or seven different venues in a season
Limited-overs games played in whites (and ODIs referred to as 'one day Tests' by commentators)

Please feel free to add your own.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Well we had ODIs in whites in the late 90s/early 00s. Guess it isn't that old.
True - not over 55/60 overs though. The 50 overs limit was so obvious, it makes you wonder why it took so long to be universally adopted.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
(Clean skin bats that is. I assume pink grips were not used back in the old days. Burgey to confirm/deny)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yorkshire winning the Championship most years
Test players playing in domestic First Class matches
Plenty of players more than 40 years of age
Plenty of players with 40 inch waist measurements
Captains enforcing the follow on
Appeals that were polite enquiries

stumpski

International Captain
Overseas players staying for several seasons, rather than two weeks
Universities fielding some decent (i.e. future England) players
Declaration bowling on the third (and final) day (I didn't say it was all good)
BBC2 showing an entire John Player League game on Sunday afternoon
Touring teams playing against counties

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yorkshire winning the Championship most years
Test players playing in domestic First Class matches
Plenty of players more than 40 years of age
Plenty of players with 40 inch waist measurements
Captains enforcing the follow on
I was sooo born in the wrong era. :(

stumpski

International Captain
Open racism

Not saying it wasn't so, but can you give an example? (apart from being mildly patronising, as I suspect Wisden and 'the authorities' were to the early West Indies and Indian sides)

Always thought English cricket in the 50s and 60s was more class-conscious, if anything.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Heavy bowling boots that would take several games to 'break in'. Until they did it was like running on upturned nails.

Batting pads with leather straps that cut into the leg.

Every County with at least one fielder that had to be 'hidden' - and very few good cover fielders (not many even decent by today's standards(.

Every ball shown on a camera from one end of the ground only. The far end camera was only used for replays, and run outs or stumpings often weren't shown from side on

Commentators on TV who followed the maxim "If you can't add to the picture, don't try" in place of the unrelenting chatter (which I know they are forced to do) nowdays. I can recall, back in the 70s, whole overs going by with not a word spoken.

County players often having to play a three day match starting on a Saturday, travel across country to play a Sunday League match, then back to finish the three day game. Then, the day after that finishes, either playing another 3 day game starting the next day or a big one day match, quite possibly involving another long journey.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not saying it wasn't so, but can you give an example? (apart from being mildly patronising, as I suspect Wisden and 'the authorities' were to the early West Indies and Indian sides)

Always thought English cricket in the 50s and 60s was more class-conscious, if anything.
Fred Trueman used to call all Indian batsmen Gunga Din didn't he?