• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Things you used to get in old-time cricket ...

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not saying it wasn't so, but can you give an example? (apart from being mildly patronising, as I suspect Wisden and 'the authorities' were to the early West Indies and Indian sides)

Always thought English cricket in the 50s and 60s was more class-conscious, if anything.
Well South Africa got into a spot of bother for doing it in 70s and 80s, but that was after people were apparently fine with it for most of a century.

Then there's things like most early Windies teams being obliged to have a white captain.

stumpski

International Captain
Well South Africa got into a spot of bother for doing it in 70s and 80s, but that was after people were apparently fine with it for most of a century.

Then there's things like most early Windies teams being obliged to have a white captain.
Yeah fair enough, I wasn't really thinking outside England, but by all means add examples relevant to the part of the world you live in. I'd have thought that racism in South African cricket at that time though was endemic to that country in general. No doubt baseball in the USA in the 1960s had similar issues.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
England's home test matches on terrestrial TV.

And, I know it's been mentioned sort of, but regular live coverage of Barry or Viv Richards on Sunday afternoons.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
- A Yorkshire team born entirely in Yorkshire
- A medium paced trundler with a weight problem trying to look like Dennis Lillee complete with tache and at least four gold chains.
- The random return of a name player several years after their previous FC game (Underwood, Illingworth, Alan Butcher, etc)

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
(Clean skin bats that is. I assume pink grips were not used back in the old days. Burgey to confirm/deny)
Surprised it t00k 9 posts for Burgeh to get a mention itbt.

• ****s batting in floppies
  • ****s like Brian Lara batting in sunnies

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Touring teams playing against counties
This one so much. I used to love the tours that went on for months with the touring side doing the rounds of the domestic FC sides (in whatever country) in between the Tests. Felt so much more like a real tour. :(

Burgey

(Clean skin bats that is. I assume pink grips were not used back in the old days. Burgey to confirm/deny)
No they weren't.

People used to judge players based on what they saw, and actually held in some regard the views of those who had played international cricket. It wasn't so much an exercise in spreadsheets.

Burgey

Add to those the Indian and Pakistan 'taches of the 80s. Epic, epic stuff.

Loling at Merc's boy band haircut with the mo. Diabolical.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
- Fans running onto the field to celebrate a batting milestone.
- White, picket fences, and
- similarly, no ropes

The last time I remember a fan running onto the field was Greg Ritchie during SWaugh's 200 in 95.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
- White, picket fences, and
- similarly, no ropes
and for a short golden period while they transferred to the above situation, kids crouching behind the boundary rope to collect boundary hits, only to be smacked in the face once the ball ramped off the rope.

bradmaven

Cricket Spectator
I feel its probably the alcoholic in me just complaining but the one thing I miss the most is being able to buy a full strength beer at the cricket.

Burgey

The Border Gavaskar is the new ashes.

The ashes lost ground when it was boring for 18 years.
Border-Gavaskar was good when India had their flash-in-the-pan period of being good, but it will fall by the wayside again now.

uvelocity

International Coach
picket fences and beer good ones.

beer snake, mexican waves, not getting kicked out for beach balls. a hill to lie on.