Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: South Africa Domestic off-season 2012/13

  1. #1
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,598

    South Africa Domestic off-season 2012/13

    After the Titans beat the Lions yesterday in the T20 final, it put the curtain down on another season. Titans came away with two trophies with their new coach Matthew Maynard while Richard Pybus and the Cobras walked away with the one-day title after winning the double the previous season.

    But Pybus has already resigned from his position at the Cobas due to indifferences with the CEO. The Dolphins are also without a permanent coach and the decision needs to be made whether they will want to keep Lance Klusener on to try move the Union forwards after a few years of struggle.

    News also is that Johan Botha will play for South Australia and captain them for the next two years which means he will be unavailable for the Warriors and South Africa.

    Also decisions need to be made whether some of the older campaigners are offering enough ito performance to warrant a contract for the next season at their franchises. The likes of Gibbs, Kemp, Langeveldt, Boje, Ntini, Bosman and so on. Tough line needs to be drawn between experience and producing for the team. The previous season saw the retirement of Boeta Dippenaar but the likes of Neil McKenzie, Zander De Bruyn and Martin Van Jaarsveld still put in good performances.

    Who will be getting contracts as well for the season ahead?

    There is still plenty of cricket though in the off-season by South African teams or individuals.

    1.) Plenty of South Africans will be on the County scene.

    2.) South Africa 'A' are touring Ireland

    3.) There is usually an Emerging tour to Australia

    4.) South Africa u19s will be at the academy in build up to the u19 WC in Australia.

    5.) Then the Proteas tour of England
    Last edited by SeamUp; 02-04-2012 at 04:22 AM.

  2. #2
    International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    3,331
    Did Richard Pybus coach Pakistan in around 1999?

  3. #3
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton View Post
    Did Richard Pybus coach Pakistan in around 1999?
    Yeah he did.

    But he moved to South Africa from England in about 1991 or so and started working at Selborne College in East London where he worked with a young Mark Boucher. He then got the local provincial job at Border and continued to work with a young Boucher and Ntini.

    He has also had a job with the Titans in Pretoria. Where he worked with young AB de Villiers, Morne Morkel and Dale Steyn. Got Paul Harris into the SA aquad and also gave Imran Tahire his first opportunity in South Africa.

    Most recently been with the Cobras in Cape Town where he has brought along Richard Levi, Dane Vilas and Stiaan Van Zyl. Helped Robbie P get back into the SA set-up and worked with Vernon Philander.

    Been a successful coach in South Africa and won multiple trophies with the Titans and Cobras.

  4. #4
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,598
    Rumours are Bosman isn't getting a contract with the Dolphins but moving to Pretoria where his girlfriend is from. Don't think he will get a Titans contract.

    Dolphins are finalising their contracted squad today or tomorrow. Runmour is, they will raid the Lions again but it will be the return of a former SA u19 captain who the Lions raided from them in the first place...Jonathan Vandiar.

    Supposedly Pybus offered Justin Kemp a 2-year contract at the Cobras before he resigned.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 03-04-2012 at 04:04 AM.


  5. #5
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    280
    The Dolphins have been in serious decline for a while now, it doesn't help that the weather is so awful during the season but the strength of the team for the last 5 years now has made me pretty despondent. Miller & Smit are talents but I like me bowlers & I don't see any exciting ones in Durban at the moment.

    I may have to embrace my adopted town and support the Cobras....

    Nevar! Dolphins, Sharks & Maritzburg Utd.

  6. #6
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,598
    Dolphins have signed two players from the Lions AGAIN! But one of them is returning home in Jonathan Vandiar. The other player is quick bowler Craig Alexander. You normally include the CSA contracted players but neither Hashim Amla or Imran Tahir is there. Reason Imran Tahir is not there is because he is heading off to the Lions but I am sure Hashim wouldn't be leaving.

    Contract list:

    Divan Van Wyk (27) Grey College
    Imraan Khan (28) DHS
    Jonathan Vandiar (22) DHS
    Ahmed Amla (33) Tongaat
    Vaughn Van Jaarsveld (27) KES
    David Miller (23) Maritzburg College
    Cody Chetty (21) Glenwood
    Cameron Delport (23) Westville
    Khaya Zondo (22) Westville

    Daryn Smit (28) Northwood

    Keshav Maharaj (22) Northwood

    Robbie Frylinck (28) Westville
    Kyle Abbott (25) Kearsney
    Mthokozisi Shezi (25) Glenwood
    Craig Alexander (25) Belville Tech
    Dane Paterson (23) Brackenfell

    CSA Contracted
    Hashim Amla (29) DHS


    SA U19 players at academy in build up to u19WC

    Chad Bowes (20) Kearsney (Opening batsman)
    Prenelan Subrayen (19) Glenwood (right-arm off-spinner) ROOKIE CONTRACT
    Calvin Savage (19) Maritzburg College (seam bowling all-rounder)
    Craig Kirsten (18) Kearsney (Fast bowler)

    No contracts for Conway, Hulett, Bosman, De Wet (retired) & Shamsi

  7. #7
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,598
    KZN Cricket (Pty) Ltd CEO, Jesse Chellan commented, “This is a youthful squad with immense potential. The new squad is in line with our strategy to develop youngsters into a winning Dolphins team. With the high number of matches affected by the rain, it has been difficult to assess our progress this season, but young players Kyle Abbott, Cody Chetty, Divan v Wyk, Khaya Zondo, David Miller and Mthokozisi Shezi have all produced match winning performances.”

    It is still our intention to recruit overseas professionals this season to add the necessary experience to this young squad.

    New additions to the squad are Craig Alexander (25) and Jonathan Vandiar (21). Craig is a fast bowler with real pace. He has represented SA A this season. We are hoping that he will lead the attack providing the necessary strike power up front. His acquisition provides our bowling unit with more depth and penetration to address our challenge of taking 20 wickets in the 4 day competition.

    Jonathan Vandiar, who grew up in Chatsworth and went to Durban High School, and who made his debut for the Dolphins in Nov 2007, returns home. He has immense talent and potential and we look forward to growing his career at the Dolphins, such that he can put pressure on the national selectors.

    Fa-eez Jaffar, President of KZNCU, commented, “This squad shows our commitment to investing in and developing our own talent and at the same time transforming the game. This squad is made up of young talent, with many of the players coming through our ranks from the under 13 level. Many of these players have worked their way through sheer hardwork and dedication. These players have committed themselves to giving us of their best on and off the field and being true ambassadors of the game for our province. The Board and Council are fully behind our boys.”

  8. #8
    State Vice-Captain MrPrez's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,092
    The Warriors should get rid of Ntini (definitely) and quite possibly Boje - he can still do a job but we have Botha and Harmer now so we should be fine in the spin department.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

    Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

  9. #9
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    The Warriors should get rid of Ntini (definitely) and quite possibly Boje - he can still do a job but we have Botha and Harmer now so we should be fine in the spin department.
    Botha is South Australian for two years!

  10. #10
    State Vice-Captain MrPrez's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,092
    Ah, I just realised that the Aussie and SA domestic seasons clash!

    Why would he do that? What can they really offer him that the Warriors can't?

  11. #11
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,598
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    Ah, I just realised that the Aussie and SA domestic seasons clash!

    Why would he do that? What can they really offer him that the Warriors can't?
    Not totally sure tbh. He said he is committed to SA cricket long term.

    He also said that it was a good opportunity for him along with being offered captaincy.

    Still think he feels hurt that he didn't get ODI captaincy and is behind Robbie P in the ODI line-up possibly.

    Tbf to Robbie P, Gary believes he is more of a wicket-taker and he is.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 10-04-2012 at 08:09 AM.

  12. #12
    State Vice-Captain MrPrez's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    No sure tbh. He said he is committed to SA cricket long term.

    He also said that it was a good opportunity for him along with being offered captaincy.

    Still think he feels hurt that he didn't get ODI captaincy and is behind Robbie P in the ODI line-up possibly.

    Tbf to Robbie P, Gary believes he is more of a wicket-taker and he is.
    I can only see it being a "disappointed with CSA for his lack of selection" thing. It makes sense that he is angry - he was our number one ODI spinner, gunned it at international level and then out of nowhere Robbie P got pushed into the team ahead of him.

  13. #13
    State Vice-Captain popepouri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, ON
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Dolphins have signed two players from the Lions AGAIN! But one of them is returning home in Jonathan Vandiar. The other player is quick bowler Craig Alexander. You normally include the CSA contracted players but neither Hashim Amla or Imran Tahir is there. Reason Imran Tahir is not there is because he is heading off to the Lions but I am sure Hashim wouldn't be leaving.

    Contract list:

    Divan Van Wyk (27) Grey College
    Imraan Khan (28) DHS
    Jonathan Vandiar (22) DHS
    Ahmed Amla (33) Tongaat
    Vaughn Van Jaarsveld (27) KES
    David Miller (23) Maritzburg College
    Cody Chetty (21) Glenwood
    Cameron Delport (23) Westville
    Khaya Zondo (22) Westville

    Daryn Smit (28) Northwood

    Keshav Maharaj (22) Northwood

    Robbie Frylinck (28) Westville
    Kyle Abbott (25) Kearsney
    Mthokozisi Shezi (25) Glenwood
    Craig Alexander (25) Belville Tech
    Dane Paterson (23) Brackenfell

    CSA Contracted
    Hashim Amla (29) DHS


    SA U19 players at academy in build up to u19WC

    Chad Bowes (20) Kearsney (Opening batsman)
    Prenelan Subrayen (19) Glenwood (right-arm off-spinner) ROOKIE CONTRACT
    Calvin Savage (19) Maritzburg College (seam bowling all-rounder)
    Craig Kirsten (18) Kearsney (Fast bowler)

    No contracts for Conway, Hulett, Bosman, De Wet (retired) & Shamsi
    They won't win anything this year probably will get the spoon, but it's good that they're focussing on youth. Who know what the amateur league will bring through the season.

  14. #14
    State Vice-Captain MrPrez's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by popepouri View Post
    They won't win anything this year probably will get the spoon, but it's good that they're focussing on youth. Who know what the amateur league will bring through the season.
    That's one incredibly young squad!

    The batting looks good with Vandiar, van Jaarsveld and the two Amlas - its the bowlers that worry me.

  15. #15
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,598
    Lonwabo Tsotsobe has joined the Dolphins from the Warriors. The process was easy as a CSA contracted player can choose which franchise he wants to play for if the franchise also wants that player.

    I don't think he will get many games as he only played 2 games for the Warriors last season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. South Africa Domestic Season 2011/12
    By SeamUp in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 233
    Last Post: 18-03-2012, 05:05 PM
  2. State Cricket (Season XIII-XIV)
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 19-05-2008, 04:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •