• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Star bags TV rights for Indian cricket

biased indian

International Coach
Yeah probably one of the 2 channels will have to go(will more likely retain Neo Sports as it is a general name), though they may bid for other sports rights + foreign tour cricket rights more aggresively from now to add with Newzealand and Bangladesh.

Won't be surprised to see ESS launch (even if they split) another Football or Cricket channel seperately now for their properties, as they will have to do domestic Indian cricket too. The whole segment is moving in the direction of specific sport channels with 3 cricket channels, a soccer focused Ten Action + and a new golf channel in Ten golf.
England rights is up fpr grabs this year it seems....ESS might leave it out with they having Indian rights may be it will any come in via SKY dont know how the things work...

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Good news that. Nothing can be worse than what we currently have. Have always loved watching cricket on ESPN/ Star Sports.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Has India previously been exposed to the way Mr Murdoch operates?

People interested in the future of media coverage in India might want to do a Google news search on his companies.
Haha, this.

Have fun, chaps.
How familiar are you with the current Indian media conglomerates and how they operate? It already stinks.

I'm no fan of Murdoch, but this is a clear improvement for Indians. Star Sports has far superior coverage to Ten and Neo.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Would love to see FC games on an espn/star broadcast. The quality ****s all over the crap dished out by neo/ten - with Harsha Bhogle in it. What does that tell you?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How familiar are you with the current Indian media conglomerates and how they operate? It already stinks.

I'm no fan of Murdoch, but this is a clear improvement for Indians. Star Sports has far superior coverage to Ten and Neo.
I'm not talking about shennanigans in coverage, I'm talking about evil.

I should say, every time I read this thread title, I keep thinking someone like Robert de Niro has given a pasting to the standard of coverage of the game in India. :ph34r:

biased indian

International Coach
any one watching the new channel TEN Golf ..their annual pack is 2400 Rs per year...you get all other sports channel together for around 800 Rs/year..why such huge difference and don't think its an HD channel

ganeshran

International Debutant
any one watching the new channel TEN Golf ..their annual pack is 2400 Rs per year...you get all other sports channel together for around 800 Rs/year..why such huge difference and don't think its an HD channel
Other channels are watched by lots of people and hence their ad spots cost more. I dont think amount of interest in Golf in India is high enough for TEN to earn money through ads, so they set a higher subscription rate to recoup costs.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd love to see ESPN/STAR's coverage of Indian domestic cricket. DD Sports was horrible, which is why Neo Cricket's coverage actually looked good. Given the budget and reserves of ESPN/STAR, they can cover the entire country's domestic scene, not just select teams and matches.