Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake sympathy, or delayed concern?

State Vice-Captain

Fake sympathy, or delayed concern?

As a fast bowler, one generally bowls a bouncer to intimidate. Occasionally, it's part of a laid out plan to get the batsman out hooking, but by and large (and I say this as a fairly innocuous seam bowler myself), one does it to physically intimidate the batsman. While nobody likes seeing a bloodied batsman out for the count, isn't that a logical enough outcome of a tough projectile hurled at the batsman's head at 90 mph from 22 yards? I know there's a human aspect to the game, but it's always seemed like a strange dichotomy to me; at least 60% of your conscious brain (I'm being conservative) as a fast bowler is trying to hurt the batsman, and then when you see him down, you go over to see after his wellbeing. Any quick bowlers here ever thought about this?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Depends on the individual I think.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I don't really see any contradiction, personally. Would you say the same about a boxer who enquires about the health of an opponent he's just knocked out?
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I don't really see any contradiction, personally. Would you say the same about a boxer who enquires about the health of an opponent he's just knocked out?
    Won't enquire after your health once I've knocked you out, ****.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I think it's more an expected social courtesy. I think most fast bowlers aren't too disappointed if they see some blood. Now obviously if you permanantly harm somebody, that's a different story and I don't think most people want that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I think it's more an expected social courtesy. I think most fast bowlers aren't too disappointed if they see some blood. Now obviously if you permanantly harm somebody, that's a different story and I don't think most people want that.
    They should fight like they do in ice hockey, eh?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I think we're being naive if we think when a bowler is having a word with a felled batsman he's always enquiring after his health. I've little doubt some of the more unreconstructed quicks are telling them exactly where the next ball will be aimed or that if they're that **** they will be hit.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    That would definitely be awesome. Better idea than night Tests or a Test chamiponship.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Like Burgey said it depends on the individual.

You start with a concerned fast bowler,
    i.e Brett Lee and then go -> Most other fast bowlers-> Thommo -> Pattinson at which point its no ****s given if he kills you.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    that would definitely be awesome. Better idea than night tests or a test chamiponship.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post

So obvious, yet still so good.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

It depends on the intention of the bowler. Bowlers shouldn't bowl the bouncers to hurt the batsman, and all the stuff that commentators say about bowlers getting angry if they charges in bowl a 90 + mph delivery and gets hit for a four/six is more about norms of cricketing world or expectation of people from a fast bowler, even at junior levels you hear couches saying stuff like "a fast bowler should charge at batsman" and other crap. Bowlers can and should focus on getting the batsman out rather than hurting the batsman.

as far as bowlers go to see the well being of the batsman goes, a lot of time we as human beings realize that something is wrong after we have done it, this could be one of the reasons why bowlers first hit the batsman then go to see well being of the batsman. Another reason would be if a bowler hurts the batsman and doesn't go to see his well being, people would see that bowler in negative way.

but its more about delayed concern than the image.
    Last edited by unam; 02-04-2012 at 08:30 PM.

For me its quite simple, if you get hit and the bowler does not check ur wellbeing its ok. Cricket is not a game for cry babies. Also in proffesional sport if you can intimidate your opponent, half the battle is won. I say more chin music!

State Vice-Captain
    Likening it to boxing isn't ideal because combat sports breed a very different mindset through the training, sparring, actual bouts, etc. Yet, even through the "gentlemanly" era of the game, bowlers like Thommo have never been averse to felling the bloke at the other end.

EDIT: Not saying the teams under Chappell had anything of the "gentleman" in them.
    Last edited by Arachnodouche; 03-04-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasimione View Post
    For me its quite simple, if you get hit and the bowler does not check ur wellbeing its ok. Cricket is not a game for cry babies. Also in proffesional sport if you can intimidate your opponent, half the battle is won. I say more chin music!
    Cricket is not about hiting or intimidating your opponent, its about scoring more runs than your opponent. if you want to intimidate your opponent then you should follow some other sport.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information