• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fake sympathy, or delayed concern?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
As a fast bowler, one generally bowls a bouncer to intimidate. Occasionally, it's part of a laid out plan to get the batsman out hooking, but by and large (and I say this as a fairly innocuous seam bowler myself), one does it to physically intimidate the batsman. While nobody likes seeing a bloodied batsman out for the count, isn't that a logical enough outcome of a tough projectile hurled at the batsman's head at 90 mph from 22 yards? I know there's a human aspect to the game, but it's always seemed like a strange dichotomy to me; at least 60% of your conscious brain (I'm being conservative) as a fast bowler is trying to hurt the batsman, and then when you see him down, you go over to see after his wellbeing. Any quick bowlers here ever thought about this?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't really see any contradiction, personally. Would you say the same about a boxer who enquires about the health of an opponent he's just knocked out?

Burgey

I don't really see any contradiction, personally. Would you say the same about a boxer who enquires about the health of an opponent he's just knocked out?
Won't enquire after your health once I've knocked you out, ****.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think it's more an expected social courtesy. I think most fast bowlers aren't too disappointed if they see some blood. Now obviously if you permanantly harm somebody, that's a different story and I don't think most people want that.

benchmark00

I think it's more an expected social courtesy. I think most fast bowlers aren't too disappointed if they see some blood. Now obviously if you permanantly harm somebody, that's a different story and I don't think most people want that.
They should fight like they do in ice hockey, eh?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think we're being naive if we think when a bowler is having a word with a felled batsman he's always enquiring after his health. I've little doubt some of the more unreconstructed quicks are telling them exactly where the next ball will be aimed or that if they're that **** they will be hit.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Like Burgey said it depends on the individual.

You start with a concerned fast bowler,
i.e Brett Lee and then go -> Most other fast bowlers-> Thommo -> Pattinson at which point its no ****s given if he kills you.

unam

U19 12th Man
It depends on the intention of the bowler. Bowlers shouldn't bowl the bouncers to hurt the batsman, and all the stuff that commentators say about bowlers getting angry if they charges in bowl a 90 + mph delivery and gets hit for a four/six is more about norms of cricketing world or expectation of people from a fast bowler, even at junior levels you hear couches saying stuff like "a fast bowler should charge at batsman" and other crap. Bowlers can and should focus on getting the batsman out rather than hurting the batsman.

as far as bowlers go to see the well being of the batsman goes, a lot of time we as human beings realize that something is wrong after we have done it, this could be one of the reasons why bowlers first hit the batsman then go to see well being of the batsman. Another reason would be if a bowler hurts the batsman and doesn't go to see his well being, people would see that bowler in negative way.

but its more about delayed concern than the image.

Last edited:

Rasimione

U19 Captain
For me its quite simple, if you get hit and the bowler does not check ur wellbeing its ok. Cricket is not a game for cry babies. Also in proffesional sport if you can intimidate your opponent, half the battle is won. I say more chin music!

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Likening it to boxing isn't ideal because combat sports breed a very different mindset through the training, sparring, actual bouts, etc. Yet, even through the "gentlemanly" era of the game, bowlers like Thommo have never been averse to felling the bloke at the other end.

EDIT: Not saying the teams under Chappell had anything of the "gentleman" in them.

Last edited:

unam

U19 12th Man
For me its quite simple, if you get hit and the bowler does not check ur wellbeing its ok. Cricket is not a game for cry babies. Also in proffesional sport if you can intimidate your opponent, half the battle is won. I say more chin music!
Cricket is not about hiting or intimidating your opponent, its about scoring more runs than your opponent. if you want to intimidate your opponent then you should follow some other sport.

TNT

Banned
Cricket is not about hiting or intimidating your opponent, its about scoring more runs than your opponent. if you want to intimidate your opponent then you should follow some other sport.
Cricket is not about intimidating the opposition, I would argue thats exactaly what cricket is about.

West Indies dominated cricket by intimidating the opposition and Australia did the same.

If you want to be a good cricketer then you need to intimidate the opposition.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Did you see the Donald-Atherton duel? Everyone who saw it calls it tough cricket. Id say Donald was trying to intimidate Atherton with the main objective being to get him out and thereby winning the game for his team. If the batsmen can't play the short ball and gets hit well tough!

Uppercut

I don't really think the intimidation works as well in practice as it does in theory. Some batsmen have their footwork messed up but others start concentrating harder and watching the ball more closely. It's great to have it as an option but I think it's usually a mistake to include it in Plan A.