Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 70

Thread: Racial Slur or Misunderstanding?

  1. #46
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,831
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    You're not a cricket writer, so keep your opinions to yourself
    At least he's English

  2. #47
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,845
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Where can I read the full original article?
    Sigh - Is it in the blood? posted (again) at Mr Beck's request - uk.sport.cricket | Google Groups

  3. #48
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,703
    Read the article. Ahem.

    To start off:

    1. Can you give an example of a white player not picked in WI despite being good enough?
    2. Untouchables not playing for India has very little with not being selected despite having the talents, and everything to do with the fact that their socioeconomic situations don't allow them to play cricket anywhere they'd be noticed in the first place.
    3. It was the official policy in SA - surely that's a "practical and reasonable" difference that you ask for.
    4. I really fail to grasp a larger point - are you saying people won't do as well at the Test level because they don't quite think of themselves as being the same nationality (a point i disagree with but let's assume that's true) - doesn't that fly in the face of all the other sports which aren't based on nationality but people try their best and give it their all in hopes of playing at the highest level, making the money, etc? Meaning, would Nasser Hussain have tried harder if he had played for India? I can't really see that.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 04-04-2012 at 03:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  4. #49
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,189
    I think time has shown what rubbish most of the arguments have been. I mean, to exemplify the argument with the fact that Nasser Hussain considers himself Indian... did that mean he was a less committed and passionate Enland player? You'd have to say no, because Nasser was one of the most committed and passionate England players ever.

    Basically, sometimes England are ****, sometimes we're great, sometimes somewhere in between. At all of those times we've had players who have not been, in the authors term, 'unequivocally English'. It's completely unrelated.


  5. #50
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7

    I have posted the article as I sent it to WCM, that is, unedited, in uk.sport.cricket with a subject heading of Cricket Web - Racial slur or misunderstanding?

    Go to https://groups.google.com/group/uk.s...t/topics?hl=en

  6. #51
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7
    [QUOTE=zaremba;2823533]I haven't abused you. The article you wrote is unworthy of serious debate. It is drivel, pure and simple. If anyone's in doubt about that, they should read the original article and make their own minds up.

    Still unable to distinguish between abuse and argument I see.....

  7. #52
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,946
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    I think time has shown what rubbish most of the arguments have been. I mean, to exemplify the argument with the fact that Nasser Hussain considers himself Indian... did that mean he was a less committed and passionate Enland player? You'd have to say no, because Nasser was one of the most committed and passionate England players ever.

    Basically, sometimes England are ****, sometimes we're great, sometimes somewhere in between. At all of those times we've had players who have not been, in the authors term, 'unequivocally English'. It's completely unrelated.
    He doesn't:

    "I have always considered myself to be 100 per cent English. Everything I do, everything I am, my accent, my upbringing, is totally English. I love the country and have always considered it home. But I've always been proud of my Indian roots."
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

  8. #53
    Cricket Web Staff Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,699
    The 1995 article did not include a single shred of evidence that those who are not "unequivocally English" did not give as much effort as those who are.

    Also, the 1991 article, claiming that the then parlous state of English Test cricket could be blamed on the inclusion in the Test team of those of Asian, West Indian and South African descent and the set-up of the first-class game as regards overseas cricketers surely has been proved to be without merit in the intervening years with England's ascent to number one-ranked Test nation? Engand performed poorly in 1991 simply because they were inferior to the opposition, no more, no less.

  9. #54
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rolling right Inuit
    Posts
    8,896
    Quote Originally Posted by RH156 View Post
    Still unable to distinguish between abuse and argument I see.....
    I have a working knowledge of the distinction thanks.

    I have not abused you. For all I know you're a smashing chap. I have described your article as drivel; and drivel is precisely what it is. That is not abuse of you, it is an appraisal of the merit of what you were (quite astonishingly) given a platform to broadcast to a wide audience.

    Beyond that broad observation, and my encouragement to other members of the forum to read your article and form their own opinions about it, I am not going to engage with you about the article or your views in any detail, because experience shows that once that kind of debate starts, it is unlikely to end; and if it does end, it does not end well.

  10. #55
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Cliffs ffs.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  11. #56
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,845
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Cliffs ffs.
    I'm sorry, you're really going to have to explain that for me.

  12. #57
    U19 Debutant
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tokyo/London
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Cliffs ffs.
    Cliffs version:

    Racist guy wrote a dumb magazine article 16 years ago

    Racist guy still stands by it now

    Everyone thinks racist guy is a *****

  13. #58
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,946
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    I'm sorry, you're really going to have to explain that for me.
    A precis for the indolent, basically.

  14. #59
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,189
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    He doesn't:

    "I have always considered myself to be 100 per cent English. Everything I do, everything I am, my accent, my upbringing, is totally English. I love the country and have always considered it home. But I've always been proud of my Indian roots."
    Thanks, must have been a misquote in the other article. Not that it really matters anyway.

  15. #60
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by nick-o View Post
    Cliffs version:

    Racist guy wrote a dumb magazine article 16 years ago

    Racist guy still stands by it now

    Everyone thinks racist guy is a *****
    Finally.

    Ch33rs. Carry on.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. South African racial quotas to be scrapped
    By Richard in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 02:59 AM
  2. Pakistan fans arrested for racial abuse
    By Rajeev in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 20-10-2007, 07:44 AM
  3. Denyer sorry for racial gaffe
    By Johnners in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 09:58 PM
  4. Latif involved in Racial Charge
    By V Reddy in forum World Cup 2003
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 13-02-2003, 04:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •