• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Cricket 2012

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just think it's very hard to bowl leg spin in general let alone in England where conditions aren't good, and naturally teams look for more steadier options
Well Rashid's got a lot of games, so you can't really say that's a reason for him going backwards. People (including me) just got excited because a guy who could bowl leg-spin and bat at 6 was just what we wanted.

Yet he doesn't spin the ball much, nor is he that accurate, and despite looking to have a great technique rarely scores that many runs.

Anyway, finger-spinners (with the way the LBW rule is being interpreted nowadays) are now a danger on all types of pitches, so the desperation for a leg-spinner isn't all-consuming now.

Pothas

Yeah a good leg-spin bowler who could bat at six for England is some sort of mythical dream, was just never going to happen.

Anyway bloody rain up in Leeds.

Woodster

International Captain
Essex doing well to wrap the Leicester innings up early today. Nine wickets down and another five wicket haul for David Masters.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Interesting to see how Philander does against Surrey today on a flat one. Old Ramprakash would have been definitely rueing his luck to get dropped for this game.

Woodster

International Captain
Masters finishes with 6-82 for Essex, decent effort. Now we can set about chasing this first-innings total down and try and establish a lead, could be a tough ask mind with the youngsters in the top six such as Westley, Wheater and Foakes, as promising as they may well be.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
No messing about from Roy. SR already above 150 and getting stuck into Philander. Best way to counter Philander as well, doesn't like it and hasn't really got a response aside from bowling the ball on the same length again.

grecian

No messing about from Roy. SR already above 150 and getting stuck into Philander. Best way to counter Philander as well, doesn't like it and hasn't really got a response aside from bowling the ball on the same length again.
That worked well:)

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Happy for Bates for Hamps. Done well to develop his batting to go with his keeping talents.

Warwickshire doing their normal thing of compiling a massive total in their own time and then hoping to pile on the pressure with the bowling. Even as early as it is I feel like they are nailed onto win the championship this year.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yes we're not all as lucky as Australia with this guy.

You laugh, but at least the guy has set about proving himself in one facet of the game. He can be picked for NSW as a pure batsman. You can't really say that about Rashid with regards to his batting or bowling.

Pothas

Delighted for Bates, wasted no time in getting to his ton today before promptly being run out.

Weather looks crap for the rest of the match though.

Jacknife

International Captain
The guy doesn't bowl well enough or bat well enough to hold down a spot in the Yorkshire team on one discipline alone.

He gets a gig as a package. But unless there's a massive improvement in one side of his game, and it may have to come at the expense of the other, I don't see him being an England player. At best, he might rival Patel for the number 7 in the subcontinent role. But if he can't push past Bresnan at Yorkshire in the batting order...
Pretty much what I said as far as playing as an all-rounder atm and no there's no chance of him playing for England anytime soon, just hasn't been good enough with the ball.

Like I said before I do think if he was moved up the batting order for us he's good enough and could probably move his average up a few points. I'm interested to see whether he can improve as the season goes on when the pitches become more helpful because Yorkshire really need Rashid at his best.