Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What worth are rankings anymore?

State Vice-Captain

What worth are rankings anymore?

England are obviously proving to be **** in the subcontinent.

India have been a joke abroad the last year but I'll bet the shirt off my back that people like Ashwin and Ojha will wreck visiting teams at home more often than not, and the bats will stand up to be counted as well. Same applies to Pak, and to a lesser degree to SL.

Australia are back to dark horse status, and almost as unpredictable as Pakistan of the 90s. Probably the most fun team to keep tabs on as well because of their pace attack and general quirkiness.

South Africa, on recent record, seem to be the most consistent of the lot, having regularly pulled back a Test or two over here, and also having won series in Eng, SA, and NZ over the past 4 years.

So, my question is, do you attach more significance to a non-subcontinental team winning away from home in non-subcontinental conditions (for eg. Aus winning a Test in SA), as opposed to, say, SL winning a Test in India? Or is it just a gigantic cluster**** all around? I think it is.

Rankings are entirely comparative, so on that basis they're fine.

Same goes for the player rankings too btw. As indicators of form they're as good as you get.
    Last edited by Spark; 30-03-2012 at 04:20 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

rza
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    These rankings will always discriminate against South Africa/Pakistan and Sri Lanka because they ussually play around 10 tests less every year that Aus/Eng/India. Is it fair to say England is the world's best Test team when they played far more games than South Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by rza View Post
    These rankings will always discriminate against South Africa/Pakistan and Sri Lanka because they ussually play around 10 tests less every year that Aus/Eng/India. Is it fair to say England is the world's best Test team when they played far more games than South Africa?
    Yes.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Rankings are entirely comparative, so on that basis they're fine.

Same goes for the player rankings too btw. As indicators of form they're as good as you get.
    What do you base these comparisons on, though? I guess this swerves somewhat towards the latter part of my post - do you consider a comprehensive Ashes win by England in Oz a better achievement than a Sri Lankan win on Indian or Pak soil? And do you think there should be repercussions vis-a-vis ranking points for heavy defeats as being currently absorbed by England (or India over the last year)?

I would consider it a greater achievement but primarily because a 5 Test series > 3 Test series, as the more Tests in a series, the more accurate and revealing the result will be wrt the comparative quality of the two teams. Given that SL have never won a Test in India at all IIRC it's a moot point regardless.

And absolutely getting slaughtered should see you punished.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Rankings are fine, because the other choice is what???

A Test championship. Yea, that'd be awesome. Don't hold your breath though.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

What I really hope with a Test championship is that it doesn't become the be-all-and-end-all and we start treating Tests as "build-up".

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    The test number 1 ranking is more clear cut when someone is some distance ahead... at the moment there's three good teams (England, India, South Africa) and Pakistan and Sri Lanka are also pretty dangerous at home. It just means the ranking will get passed around for a while I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    The test number 1 ranking is more clear cut when someone is some distance ahead... at the moment there's three good teams (England, India, South Africa) and Pakistan and Sri Lanka are also pretty dangerous at home. It just means the ranking will get passed around for a while I reckon.
    Australia? They should be considered slightly better than Sri Lanka at least, I think.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Can only presume she forgot...

International 12th Man weeman27bob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    What I really hope with a Test championship is that it doesn't become the be-all-and-end-all and we start treating Tests as "build-up".
    Maybe I'm the only one, but it always frustrates me how many tests are just seen as a build-up to the Ashes.

apoart from SA no body on that list is good away from home. My rankings

Sa
    Aus
    Eng,Pak,SL,Ind
    Nzl
    Wi

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Australia? They should be considered slightly better than Sri Lanka at least, I think.
    Australia?! We haven't won away from home since we went to Bangladesh, and yet we were all over them. Prank team IMO.

Australia?! We haven't won away from home since we went to Bangladesh, and yet we were all over them. Prank team IMO.
    Since Australia went to Sri Lanka??

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information