• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The great 1980s all rounders

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
srsly though, can we have a few words on mushr00ms?

I'm lead to believe Tangy has plenty of experience dealing with/on mushr00ms.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
srsly though, can we have a few words on mushr00ms?

I'm lead to believe Tangy has plenty of experience dealing with/on mushr00ms.
I do recall the first, and in fact only, occasion when I was given some magic mushrooms. I was warned about, and was quite impressed by, the hallucinogenic properties - but no ****er warned me about the laxative effect :@

benchmark00

I do recall the first, and in fact only, occasion when I was given some magic mushrooms. I was warned about, and was quite impressed by, the hallucinogenic properties - but no ****er warned me about the laxative effect :@
I know plenty of blokes who would kill for regular bowel activity.

Burgey included.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
If you deem an allrounder as someone who does it with bat and ball at the same time then Botham wins hands down.

If you like to filter numbers then you pick Imran.
To an extent. yes. Of the four only Bothan excelled with both bat and ball at the same time. Career wise though have to be Imran.
Additionally though I always rate batting all rounders higher as they give you that all important 5th bowler to either spell your top 4 bowlers or pick up that crucial wicket or just keep things quiet. With a bowling all rounder your still left with 4 bowlers and a batsman who still bats in the lower order.

Finally find it strange that persons give Kapil a pass for having to bowl on Indian roads butthen say it wasnt that great an advantage for Indian batsmen. Cant have it both ways.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think this post belongs here better, hence reposting

Some stats to chew on. I looked at how often an all-rounder is 'useful' with the bat AND ball, and also how often he is useful with the bat OR the ball.

Useful with the bat = scores 80 or more runs in the match
Useful with the ball = takes 4 or more wkts in the match

I generally believe that each wicket is worth 20 runs (most wickets by a bowler ~800, most runs ~16000). So those cut offs are equally fair for batting and bowling all-rounders

When sorted by how often they are useful with both, this is how the top all rounders stack up:

Code:
				[B]80 runs [U]AND[/U] 4 wkts[/B]
-----------------------------------------------
Player		Matches		#	%
Sobers		93		15	16.1%
Miller		55		6	10.9%
Botham		102		11	10.8%
Hadlee		86		6	7.0%
Imran		88		4	4.5%
Kallis		152		5	3.3%
Dev		131		4	3.1%
Pollock		108		3	2.8%
Sobers, Miller and Botham top the table. Kallis, Dev and Pollock are bottom three.

Next when you look at how often they are useful with either, you get:

Code:
				[B]80 runs [U]OR[/U] 4 wkts[/B]
Player		Matches		#	%
Hadlee		86		62	72.1%
Imran		88		56	63.6%
Sobers		93		56	60.2%
Botham		102		58	56.9%
Pollock		108		61	56.5%
Kallis		152		76	50.0%
Dev		131		61	46.6%
Miller		55		25	45.5%
Hadlee, Imran and Sobers are at top! Kallis, Dev and Miller are at bottom.

Well, just tell us what we probably already know :)

Attachments

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry, just to be clear, my post count is over 8k, but well over 7k of them have been **** and a waste of time. Do I qualify for this thread? I had high hopes for the 2.0 that f_o_s has now closed.

Burgey

Sorry, just to be clear, my post count is over 8k, but well over 7k of them have been **** and a waste of time. Do I qualify for this thread? I had high hopes for the 2.0 that f_o_s has now closed.
Yes, yes. You're in!