• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Road to New Zealand in the West Indies 2012

Flem274*

123/5
A thread for kiwis and West Indians to pretend we're relevant.

New Zealand squad is also named next week, so discussion of the series is fair enough.

I hope they pick

McCullum
Flynn
Williamson
Taylor
Brownlie
Vettori
van Wyk
Bracewell
Gillespie
Boult
Martin

Watling
Batsman X
Nethula
Henry

Haven't decided on my last batsman yet. Will watch some more Plunket Shield (Rutherford 200 will be uploaded tonight btw) and see who I like.

Henry ahead of Southee is a controversial call possibly, but Southee has had no cricket since being dropped and Wagner is unavailable. I like the cut of Henry's jib and he's been a level above Plunket Shield batsmen ever since his debut, so he's my choice.

This series will be close if each side picks their best team. If one is down a couple of players, the other team will walk all over them I feel.

I hope Ravi Rampaul, Edwards et al will be fit. I rate that West Indian attack when they wheel out the best bowlers.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Henry....big call. That's obviously a Test squad? I'd be looking at him in limited overs before bringing him into the longer stuff, especially if he's got a lingering back injury.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Do we know where the tests are and what those pitches are like? I'm assuming they'll be more likely to be slow turners than seam bowlers' delights. I'd expect a 3-seamer + 1-spinner + Vettori model for the final 11, so Nethula for Boult in Flem's team (and maybe Watling for Flynn as opener, though the selectors will no doubt stick with Guptill...).

If they take 15 in the squad I'd expect the 11 from the last SA test plus Watling, Boult, Nethula and one other seam bowler. The last spot was Wagner's but it now seems to be free. So Brent Arnel then...:unsure:

The words "Rutherford" and "West Indies" shouldn't really appear in the same post.

The West Indies have a fair bit of cricket between now and NZ's arrival and it will be interesting to see if their seam bowlers stay fit, if the new spinner Narine does as well at tests as at one-dayers, and if the younger Bravo and Kirk Edwards can maintain their phenomenal starts to test cricket. Oh, and also whether Gayle can get back in the side.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I surprised they're naming the squad so soon, though on reflection it probably makes sense that they want to notify selected players now that they can't go into off-season mode.

Still it doesn't allow a lot of time to see how a few things pan out, like any improvement from Southee or Ryder*, or if Henry's a possible bolter then his injury must be a consideration.

My test squad is the same as Flametree's and I do want to see Guptill still in the side (the squad anyway). Unsure about the 15th man. I too am expecting flattish pitches where we want Vettori and a(nother) spinner, though it's been quite a while since I watched a test match played in the Windies.

* I still would not pick Ryder for this tour under any foreseeable circumstances, however the selectors may ponder it.

Mike5181

International Captain
Ryder won't be considered at all IMO. A more realistic target for him would be the three Indian tests in September. That should give him enough time to heal mentally and lose some weight. It's India as well and we all know how much he loves to play them.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Ryder won't be considered at all IMO. A more realistic target for him would be the three Indian tests in September. That should give him enough time to heal mentally and lose some weight. It's India as well and we all know how much he loves to play them.
It's going to be interesting to see what line NZC take on Ryder. Is he a "starter if he's fit and up for it" or does he have to prove himself somehow by scoring runs? If the latter, then he's going to miss a lot of tests.

I wonder if he could just take off and leave his crap behind by maybe playing for a county in England for half a season or something, but I'm not sure too many would want him...

Flem274*

123/5
After his debacle with Ireland CC, not to mention his later exploits, I'd be surprised if Counties didn't have major reservations on signing him.

Doesn't really bother me if he misses lots of tests. Having a test standard middle order batsman in our reserves would be a comforting thought, if the batsman in question wasn't so unstable.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We have a sources say... itinerary, published March 4.

Jun 30: 1st T20I, Lauderhill, Florida
Jul 1: 2nd T20I Lauderhill, Florida
Jul 5: 1st ODI, Sabina Park, Jamaica
Jul 7: 2nd ODI, Sabina Park, Jamaica
Jul 11: 3rd ODI, Warner Park, St Kitts
....2 more ODIzzzz in St Kitts.....

Jul 25-29: 1st Test, Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua
Aug 2-6: 2nd Test, Sabina Park, Jamaica
Bah - why can't we have 3 or even 4 tests against each other. Will gladly trade in some of those T20s and two ODIs for another test.

Windie if you are out there can you post your desired starting XI please.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The Windies have deigned to host four tests against an ideally-matched team like NZ in two decades. Does strike you as really vain and ridiculous.

In fact I think of the Windies as a bit like Rihanna, trying to avoid some homely-looking guy's 'it's a really good song; we don't need *** to sell this!' duet.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The Windies have deigned to host four tests against an ideally-matched team like NZ in two decades. Does strike you as really vain and ridiculous.

In fact I think of the Windies as a bit like Rihanna, trying to avoid some homely-looking guy's 'it's a really good song; we don't need *** to sell this!' duet.
So NZ is the homely looking team:ph34r: in this metaphor?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep! McCullum can sit at Rihanna's table. Wiliamson, Brownlie, etc. 'too boring'. Colin de Gronny and Michael Bates? Facepalm.

Mike5181

International Captain

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah the Windies have often struck me (in the last 10 years) as thinking they're far too mighty to be playing little old NZ and should be up there with the big boys, even though results suggest the complete opposite.

IMO ICC should mandate that if teams are only separated by 10 points or so on the test rankings then series should be 3 tests minimum.

Howsie

International Captain
If they take 15 in the squad I'd expect the 11 from the last SA test plus Watling, Boult, Nethula and one other seam bowler. The last spot was Wagner's but it now seems to be free. So Brent Arnel then...:unsure:
Mitchell McClenaghan a big chance for your token WTF New Zealand selection I reckon.

Last edited: