Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: **Official** Road to New Zealand in the West Indies 2012

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

**Official** Road to New Zealand in the West Indies 2012

A thread for kiwis and West Indians to pretend we're relevant.

New Zealand squad is also named next week, so discussion of the series is fair enough.

I hope they pick

McCullum
    Flynn
    Williamson
    Taylor
    Brownlie
    Vettori
    van Wyk
    Bracewell
    Gillespie
    Boult
    Martin

Watling
    Batsman X
    Nethula
    Henry

Haven't decided on my last batsman yet. Will watch some more Plunket Shield (Rutherford 200 will be uploaded tonight btw) and see who I like.

Henry ahead of Southee is a controversial call possibly, but Southee has had no cricket since being dropped and Wagner is unavailable. I like the cut of Henry's jib and he's been a level above Plunket Shield batsmen ever since his debut, so he's my choice.

This series will be close if each side picks their best team. If one is down a couple of players, the other team will walk all over them I feel.

I hope Ravi Rampaul, Edwards et al will be fit. I rate that West Indian attack when they wheel out the best bowlers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Itinerary g'dammit.

gagfc

Doesn't seem to be one up yet.

State Captain
    Henry....big call. That's obviously a Test squad? I'd be looking at him in limited overs before bringing him into the longer stuff, especially if he's got a lingering back injury.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    I'd definitely consider him for the ODI team.

Do we know where the tests are and what those pitches are like? I'm assuming they'll be more likely to be slow turners than seam bowlers' delights. I'd expect a 3-seamer + 1-spinner + Vettori model for the final 11, so Nethula for Boult in Flem's team (and maybe Watling for Flynn as opener, though the selectors will no doubt stick with Guptill...).

If they take 15 in the squad I'd expect the 11 from the last SA test plus Watling, Boult, Nethula and one other seam bowler. The last spot was Wagner's but it now seems to be free. So Brent Arnel then...

The words "Rutherford" and "West Indies" shouldn't really appear in the same post.

The West Indies have a fair bit of cricket between now and NZ's arrival and it will be interesting to see if their seam bowlers stay fit, if the new spinner Narine does as well at tests as at one-dayers, and if the younger Bravo and Kirk Edwards can maintain their phenomenal starts to test cricket. Oh, and also whether Gayle can get back in the side.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    I surprised they're naming the squad so soon, though on reflection it probably makes sense that they want to notify selected players now that they can't go into off-season mode.

Still it doesn't allow a lot of time to see how a few things pan out, like any improvement from Southee or Ryder*, or if Henry's a possible bolter then his injury must be a consideration.

My test squad is the same as Flametree's and I do want to see Guptill still in the side (the squad anyway). Unsure about the 15th man. I too am expecting flattish pitches where we want Vettori and a(nother) spinner, though it's been quite a while since I watched a test match played in the Windies.

* I still would not pick Ryder for this tour under any foreseeable circumstances, however the selectors may ponder it.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    Ryder won't be considered at all IMO. A more realistic target for him would be the three Indian tests in September. That should give him enough time to heal mentally and lose some weight. It's India as well and we all know how much he loves to play them.

We have a sources say... itinerary, published March 4.

Jun 30: 1st T20I, Lauderhill, Florida
    Jul 1: 2nd T20I Lauderhill, Florida
    Jul 5: 1st ODI, Sabina Park, Jamaica
    Jul 7: 2nd ODI, Sabina Park, Jamaica
    Jul 11: 3rd ODI, Warner Park, St Kitts
    ....2 more ODIzzzz in St Kitts.....

Jul 25-29: 1st Test, Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua
    Aug 2-6: 2nd Test, Sabina Park, Jamaica
    Last edited by Kippax; 29-03-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Ryder won't be considered at all IMO. A more realistic target for him would be the three Indian tests in September. That should give him enough time to heal mentally and lose some weight. It's India as well and we all know how much he loves to play them.
    It's going to be interesting to see what line NZC take on Ryder. Is he a "starter if he's fit and up for it" or does he have to prove himself somehow by scoring runs? If the latter, then he's going to miss a lot of tests.

I wonder if he could just take off and leave his crap behind by maybe playing for a county in England for half a season or something, but I'm not sure too many would want him...

After his debacle with Ireland CC, not to mention his later exploits, I'd be surprised if Counties didn't have major reservations on signing him.

Doesn't really bother me if he misses lots of tests. Having a test standard middle order batsman in our reserves would be a comforting thought, if the batsman in question wasn't so unstable.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    We have a sources say... itinerary, published March 4.

Jun 30: 1st T20I, Lauderhill, Florida
    Jul 1: 2nd T20I Lauderhill, Florida
    Jul 5: 1st ODI, Sabina Park, Jamaica
    Jul 7: 2nd ODI, Sabina Park, Jamaica
    Jul 11: 3rd ODI, Warner Park, St Kitts
    ....2 more ODIzzzz in St Kitts.....

Jul 25-29: 1st Test, Sir Vivian Richards Stadium, Antigua
    Aug 2-6: 2nd Test, Sabina Park, Jamaica
    Bah - why can't we have 3 or even 4 tests against each other. Will gladly trade in some of those T20s and two ODIs for another test.

Windie if you are out there can you post your desired starting XI please.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

The Windies have deigned to host four tests against an ideally-matched team like NZ in two decades. Does strike you as really vain and ridiculous.

In fact I think of the Windies as a bit like Rihanna, trying to avoid some homely-looking guy's 'it's a really good song; we don't need sex to sell this!' duet.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    The Windies have deigned to host four tests against an ideally-matched team like NZ in two decades. Does strike you as really vain and ridiculous.

In fact I think of the Windies as a bit like Rihanna, trying to avoid some homely-looking guy's 'it's a really good song; we don't need sex to sell this!' duet.
    So NZ is the homely looking team in this metaphor?

Yep! McCullum can sit at Rihanna's table. Wiliamson, Brownlie, etc. 'too boring'. Colin de Gronny and Michael Bates? Facepalm.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information