• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Road to New Zealand in the West Indies 2012

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Indeed I don't care if he lowers his FC average to 20 - he has had more chances than anyone.
Totally - he's more useless than a Jimmy Franklin 120k half tracker outside off, trying to shape it back in to the right hander.

Plus his moustache was shocking. Like a character from those 1980's kidnapping movies that were all the rage.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Totally - he's more useless than a Jimmy Franklin 120k half tracker outside off, trying to shape it back in to the right hander.

Plus his moustache was shocking. Like a character from those 1980's kidnapping movies that were all the rage.
You have no right to an opinion, sir, if you think Jeets' moustache was shocking. It was out.standing.

I'll believe no Ryder central contract when I see it, incidentally. But not taking him to the Windies sends a good message.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Finally due out today, two squads of 15 they say.
Cricket: Wagner expected to make one of squads for tour of Windies - Sport - NZ Herald News

Wagner? Boult? Hira? Latham? Bates? McKay? McClenaghan? Or will Flanders (Buchanan) dust off the keys to the Leftorium and leave no lefties behind? Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
Twenty20 International:

Ross Taylor (c) - Central Stags
Martin Guptill - Auckland Aces
Doug Bracewell - Central Stags
Dean Brownlie - Canterbury Wizards
Andrew Ellis - Canterbury Wizards
Daniel Flynn - Northern Knights
Ronnie Hira - Auckland Aces
Tom Latham - Canterbury Wizards
Nathan McCullum - Otago Volts
Kyle Mills - Auckland Aces
Rob Nicol - Canterbury Wizards
Jacob Oram - Central Stags
Tim Southee - Northern Knights
BJ Watling - Northern Knights
Kane Williamson - Northern Knights

One Day International:

Tom Latham - Canterbury Wizards
Nathan McCullum - Otago Volts
Kyle Mills - Auckland Aces
Tarun Nethula - Central Stags
Rob Nicol - Canterbury Wizards
Jacob Oram - Central Stags
Tim Southee - Northern Knights

Test:

Trent Boult - Northern Knights
Neil Wagner - Otago Volts
Mark Gillespie - Wellington Firebirds
Chris Martin - Auckland Aces
Brendon McCullum - Otago Volts
Tarun Nethula - Central Stags
Kruger van Wyk - Central Stags
Daniel Vettori - Northern Knights

Last edited:

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
No boulters there, although fantastic to see Nicol not in the test squad.

Neesham could get a call up when Oram breaks down.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Yeah good to see some sort of consistency and normality in terms of squads being named.

Good to see Ronnie retained for the 20 / 20 squad as he gets a raw deal in Auckland (the list could go on with people that have suffered at the expense of Paul Strang as coach) as he wasnt even domestically contracted the season just gone yet is by far away their best limited overs bowler.

As a leg spinner and someone who knows a a few of the lads personally, great to see Tarun in the Test side, positive move from the selectors.

Why do the selectors continue to play Oram and Mills? Mills has nothing more to offer in terms of the future for NZ and the same goes for Oram. There are a plethora of destructive all rounders in Orams's ilk, Jimmy Neesham I see gets mentioned and I for one know he's in the right head space and has matured a great deal over the last few years. He thrives on opportunity and is a very quick learner and the international scene would be perfect for him.

Other than that, this should be a great series, the Windies showed against Aussie that they are no pushovers and they are in the same boat as NZ in terms of not knowing how to capitalize on wining positions as they simply do not win often, so this should be a cracker of a series.

Mike5181

International Captain
ODI team
1. Rob Nicol - Canterbury Wizards
2. Martin Guptill - Auckland Aces
3. Kane Williamson - Northern Knights
4. Ross Taylor (c) - Central Stags
5. Dean Brownlie - Canterbury Wizards
6. Tom Latham - Canterbury Wizards
7. Jacob Oram - Central Stags
8. Kyle Mills - Auckland Aces
9. Doug Bracewell - Central Stags
10. Tim Southee - Northern Knights
11. Tarun Nethula - Central Stags/Nathan McCullum - Otago Volts

Reserves
Daniel Flynn- Northern Districts

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Anyone think another spinner should play with Vettori in the test series?

Could be one of the ways we get an advantage over the Windies.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Anyone think another spinner should play with Vettori in the test series?

Could be one of the ways we get an advantage over the Windies.
They most certainly will go for Vettori and Nethula in the XI, especially after the events in the Aussie series.

This is where Vettori could provide the perfect foil for Nethula, who at times can go for some tap (such is the way of leg spin and he can at times be very aggressive in search of wickets) and Vettori's miserly bowling (albeit very placid and non penetrating) could be the ideal partner for Nethula to work off to give him confidence. Confidence is a huge aspect of leg spin even moreso on Test Debut, and with Vettori being a calming influence at the other end Nethula will have that little bit more confidence that could be vital.

lol as you can see, leg spin excites me and its refreshing to see especially in NZ, where the conservative approach regarding spin has dominated .

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Like test squad. I mean the 15 pretty much picks itself but I was still half expecting some bizarre leftfield alternative.

Surprised to read that Watling is going to take the test gloves back. Apart from that expect the first test XI will be our last test eleven with one dropping out for Nethula, which should be interesting. And IMO whoever that is can feel at least a little hard done by. Even Guptill.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
ODI's

Guptill
Nicol
Taylor
Williamson
Latham
Watling
McCullum
Oram
Southee/Tarun
Mills

Ugh, that batting lineup looks awful, really shows the total absence of depth in NZ cricket atm. Without Vettori, the team continues to look horribly unbalanced.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
ODI's

Guptill
Nicol
Taylor
Williamson
Latham
Watling
McCullum
Oram
Southee/Tarun
Mills

Ugh, that batting lineup looks awful, really shows the total absence of depth in NZ cricket atm. Without Vettori, the team continues to look horribly unbalanced.
Yeah without baz it looks weak.

Brownlie may also get a run in the XI

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Kruger to take the gloves.
Apart from being a fellow CD-ian (presume that's what you call yourselves), why? Kruger never made over 35, made 3-4 starts and never capitalised on them. Not exactly enough to unseat a guy who made a ton in his last start, whoever it may have been against.

And I wouldn't worry about that ODI batting line-up as much as I would the bowlers. Where the hell are 10 wickets going to come out of Mills-Nethula-McCulluN-an out-of-form Southee-Oram? Same issue as the South African series and they've gone and dropped McKay, who has never done a thing wrong. Even could have picked Gillespie. It's weak.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Apart from being a fellow CD-ian (presume that's what you call yourselves), why? Kruger never made over 35, made 3-4 starts and never capitalised on them. Not exactly enough to unseat a guy who made a ton in his last start, whoever it may have been against.
Scoring 35 against Steyn, Philander and co is worth as much as a ton against the Zimbos. Smashing a few 125kph (if that) scatterguns around doesn't prove anything.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Scoring 35 against Steyn, Philander and co is worth as much as a ton against the Zimbos. Smashing a few 125kph (if that) scatterguns around doesn't prove anything.
A) Who's to say Watling wouldn't have scored those runs?
B) If it's worth as much, then Watling still keeps his spot as the incumbent (before injury)
C) Watling is a better long-term option

I understand the van Wyk is gutsy frenzy that came, but at the end of the day the guy still didn't capitalise on starts. 60s-70s even and I might be different.

vandem

International 12th Man
A) Who's to say Watling wouldn't have scored those runs?
B) If it's worth as much, then Watling still keeps his spot as the incumbent (before injury)
C) Watling is a better long-term option

I understand the van Wyk is gutsy frenzy that came, but at the end of the day the guy still didn't capitalise on starts. 60s-70s even and I might be different.
or

A) Who's to say Watling wouldn't have continued his run of pre-Zim moderate test scores?
B) Does 1 test really make you the "incumbent"?
C) Derek de Boorder is a better long-term option