• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Road to New Zealand in the West Indies 2012

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Our selectors have been a bit fickle with Sam Wells. If he was good enough to get selected as 12th man for a test you would think he would make a larger 15 man squad.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Doubt Arnel will play for NZ again.
One thing I have learned since following the fortunes of the blackcaps more closely is that if you bang at the door long enough you will be selected as long as you havn't had 3 or 4 goes before or are over (insert Andre Adams age here). And Arnel has only had 2 chances now.

Coles Notes version: IF he takes some 5fers next year he might be back.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Our selectors have been a bit fickle with Sam Wells. If he was good enough to get selected as 12th man for a test you would think he would make a larger 15 man squad.
If he was any good he probably wouldn't have fallen behind Andrew Ellis either tbf

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Flem - can you add a poll to this thread (complete with irrelevant third option) on who will win the series - genuinely interested in if CW agrees with Windie.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wells also went back to Otago and didn't score many runs or take many wickets. Unfortunately Andy Ellis is the highest performing allrounder who bowls medium pace in NZ domestic this year, by quite a distance (I'm not counting Franklin).

There are quite a few other players in this mould around however most are not particularly established eg.
Boam
Neesham
Wells
CDG
Munro
KNB (though I struggle to call what he does to get the ball to the other end 'bowling')

Selecting Wells based purely on perceived potential just shows that the selectors are looking hard for this sort of player imo.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Matt Henry fans can take a bit of heart here I think -

matt henry ‏ @matthenry523
back on twitter boys! cant believe i didnt get picked for the dunedin game?! #easiest 5fer of my life bobby!!!!1
9:42 PM - 18 Mar 12 via web

Mitchell McClenaghan a big chance for your token WTF New Zealand selection I reckon.
Haha, yeah I agree with Howsie on this. I was actually thinking shorter forms (vying with McKay perhaps) in a bid to add a bit of penetration up front, hoping for swing with the white ball or a bit of unwanted bounce for the Windians.
http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/1398b041-4c99-4c6c-8923-8a4c293bb30e/1_002_01.mp4
http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.net/7ce01833-74b0-483a-b405-d30e48d9a446/2_003_02.mp4

The way his 'rains it pours' numbers leap off the page (8/23, 5/30, 6/44 etc) will help him as well I think.

Flem274*

123/5
Hope the Windies put out

Gayle
Barath
Edwards
Bravo
Chanderpaul
Nash
Baugh
Sammy
Rampaul
Bishoo (he's still gun right?)
Edwards

Pretty solid looking team. We have the better bowling but they have the batting.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Bah - why can't we have 3 or even 4 tests against each other. Will gladly trade in some of those T20s and two ODIs for another test.

Windie if you are out there can you post your desired starting XI please.
Blimey i too was also under the impression that we were playing three tests? :huh: i guess i got it wrong, we also only played two against Pakistan so it's not like we're dissing you lot just because you're ranked lower than us!! :laugh: , it's just the way the schedule goes,

Anyway as for our potential team, much will depend on how we go against two tough teams in Australia and England, personally i believe Sammy's time in the sun will be over by the time we play NZ, well i hope it is anyway!! :D , another bonus for us is all our IPL stars will be back for this series, so Narine is likely to make his debut against you lot and Gayle may be involved too, so our team could be..

Gayle/Brathwaite
Barath
Kirk Edwards
Darren Bravo
Chanderpaul
Deonarine/Pollard/Fudadin/Samuels
Ramdin (wk)
Rampaul
Roach
Edwards/Holder/Sammy
Narine/Bishoo

The number six spot is vacant right now after Samuels decided to go to the IPL so we're gonna have to wait and see if Deo, Polly or even the vastly improved Fudadin can claim that spot for themselves,

The more i look at our options the more hopeful i am of us rising up the rankings in the near future, Flem might think his team isn't relevant but us windie fans are starting to see signs of improvement, over the last 15 months or so we've beat Bang and drew with SL and Pak, our only defeats came against the then top two ranked India, add Gayle and Narine into the mix then i think we're gonna be a serious threat, especially on our own turf.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Blimey i too was also under the impression that we were playing three tests? :huh: i guess i got it wrong, we also only played two against Pakistan so it's not like we're dissing you lot just because you're ranked lower than us!! :laugh: , it's just the way the schedule goes
Three straight ODIs in St Kitts (population 50,000? ground capacity about 8,000) seems a bit more cynical or political than simply 'fitting in what the window allows' tbh. We'll see if the official release differs greatly from that leaked one, but they could cut two of those off (which surely no-one would miss).

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Very positive article by Ashley Mallett on Williamson. He compares Williamson to a young Michael Clarke - I know a few people here have drawn that comparison before too.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
We're likely to be wanting these shortly.

Plunket Shield: Most Runs
Plunket Shield: Most Wickets

Ford Trophy: Most Runs
Ford Trophy: Most Wickets

HRV Cup: Most Runs
HRV Cup: Most Wickets

Also, I've noted the South African internationals are coming back into the NZC video vault, and (apart from the 2nd and 3rd Tests) are full ball-by-ball, rather than just dismissals and boundaries.

How to get into the vault -
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...estic-cricket-2011-2012-a-39.html#post2800089

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
CD should seriously consider signing Kyle Jarvis for a full season. Quality seamer and won't get injured as often as our other bowlers.

Plus I have a bit of a man crush on him.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Bracewell and Nethula will be in SL for the pre-Xmas rounds it looks, very good idea. He could be your domestic Philanderer to the other three in a best-case scenario.

Milne
Wheeler
Small
Jarvis

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We're likely to be wanting these shortly.

Plunket Shield: Most Runs
Plunket Shield: Most Wickets

Ford Trophy: Most Runs
Ford Trophy: Most Wickets

HRV Cup: Most Runs
HRV Cup: Most Wickets

Also, I've noted the South African internationals are coming back into the NZC video vault, and (apart from the 2nd and 3rd Tests) are full ball-by-ball, rather than just dismissals and boundaries.

How to get into the vault -
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cri...estic-cricket-2011-2012-a-39.html#post2800089
Awesome - my first time seeing the season stats all at once. Goodness Sinclair just keeps on going.

Terrific season for Rutherford.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Whatever else happens, if Gayle is back playing for the Windies, I expect our bowlers to get monstered. He's always loved playing against us, and I'm already having horrid flashbacks of him smashing Gillespie around.

Bring Rutherford in for the lolz.

Flem274*

123/5
We can actually bowl now, so it will be interesting.

Last time round our attack was O'Brien, Mills, Vettori, Patel and Franklin. Not an attack to wheel out on flat pitches.