Taylor
    Williamson
    Latham
    Watling
    McCullum
    Oram
    Southee/Tarun
    Mills

Ugh, that batting lineup looks awful, really shows the total absence of depth in NZ cricket atm. Without Vettori, the team continues to look horribly unbalanced.
    Yeah without baz it looks weak.

Brownlie may also get a run in the XI
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Kruger to take the gloves.
    Apart from being a fellow CD-ian (presume that's what you call yourselves), why? Kruger never made over 35, made 3-4 starts and never capitalised on them. Not exactly enough to unseat a guy who made a ton in his last start, whoever it may have been against.

And I wouldn't worry about that ODI batting line-up as much as I would the bowlers. Where the hell are 10 wickets going to come out of Mills-Nethula-McCulluN-an out-of-form Southee-Oram? Same issue as the South African series and they've gone and dropped McKay, who has never done a thing wrong. Even could have picked Gillespie. It's weak.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNZ View Post
    Apart from being a fellow CD-ian (presume that's what you call yourselves), why? Kruger never made over 35, made 3-4 starts and never capitalised on them. Not exactly enough to unseat a guy who made a ton in his last start, whoever it may have been against.
    Scoring 35 against Steyn, Philander and co is worth as much as a ton against the Zimbos. Smashing a few 125kph (if that) scatterguns around doesn't prove anything.
    Exit pursuing a beer

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Scoring 35 against Steyn, Philander and co is worth as much as a ton against the Zimbos. Smashing a few 125kph (if that) scatterguns around doesn't prove anything.
    A) Who's to say Watling wouldn't have scored those runs?
    B) If it's worth as much, then Watling still keeps his spot as the incumbent (before injury)
    C) Watling is a better long-term option

I understand the van Wyk is gutsy frenzy that came, but at the end of the day the guy still didn't capitalise on starts. 60s-70s even and I might be different.

U19 12th Man
    B) If it's worth as much, then Watling still keeps his spot as the incumbent (before injury)

I understand the van Wyk is gutsy frenzy that came, but at the end of the day the guy still didn't capitalise on starts. 60s-70s even and I might be different.
    or

A) Who's to say Watling wouldn't have continued his run of pre-Zim moderate test scores?
    B) Does 1 test really make you the "incumbent"?
    C) Derek de Boorder is a better long-term option

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

The scorecard.

It doesn't matter to me who the best long term option is tbh. We should select NZ for the next test, not the test in 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    People who say Watling>Van Wyk didn't watch enough of the test series against South Africa.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    People who say Watling>Van Wyk didn't watch enough of the test series against South Africa.
    I watched every ball.

Van Wyk is a journeyman. A very gutsy one at that, and us Kiwis dig that. I get that.

But everyone is missing the fact that he had five knocks, scored more than 20 in four of them but never made more than 39. He averages 24, albeit against South Africa. It's not exactly knocking the door down.

Watling was the incumbent. Everyone (McCullum apart, obviously) was available for the Zim Test and he was picked - ahead of van Wyk. So he was the incumbent, before injured. And now he's back, and will take the gloves.

He deserves that chance, whatever his age is in any case. I'm just saying if you split it, and it seems like it is a fairly evenly-balanced argument, Watling is a lot younger, plays all three formats now etc etc.

As for de Boorder, won't get too many arguments from me that he's a player in waiting.

No, I'm a van Wyk vote. I don't want to see Watling's iron hands and inexperience anywhere near a Gayle or Chanderpaul snick -
    http://nzcpooch.blob.core.windows.ne...9/2_037_02.mp4

Hopefully I don't need to make a vindictive 'compare and contrast' video at Watling's expense.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

I watched every ball.

Van Wyk is a journeyman. A very gutsy one at that, and us Kiwis dig that. I get that.

But everyone is missing the fact that he had five knocks, scored more than 20 in four of them but never made more than 39. He averages 24, albeit against South Africa. It's not exactly knocking the door down.
    **** my life. He wasn't required to score big runs

Watling was the incumbent. Everyone (McCullum apart, obviously) was available for the Zim Test and he was picked - ahead of van Wyk. So he was the incumbent, before injured. And now he's back, and will take the gloves.

He deserves that chance, whatever his age is in any case. I'm just saying if you split it, and it seems like it is a fairly evenly-balanced argument, Watling is a lot younger, plays all three formats now etc etc.

As for de Boorder, won't get too many arguments from me that he's a player in waiting.
    Watling isn't getting the gloves for the test matches. He's replacing McCullum as the ODI and T20I keeper.

International Captain straw man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5181 View Post
    Watling isn't getting the gloves for the test matches. He's replacing McCullum as the ODI and T20I keeper.
    Source? I'd read here that Watling be keeping in tests.

Perhaps not surprisingly given his economy rate is on the high side, Wagner has not been named in the one-day and Twenty20 squads.

Neither has McCullum, with a fit-again BJ Watling to keep wickets in all three forms.
    I don't have a huge preference for either at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by straw man View Post
    Source? I'd read here that Watling be keeping in tests.

I don't have a huge preference for either at this stage.
    Stuff isn't the most reliable source. Blackcaps.co.nz just said he's been included in all three squads.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    I don't care what people's opinions are because there is an argument to be made either way. But just don't call watling the incumbent. He only played one test. That does not make you an incumbent.

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    Really looking forward to this one and see this as a chance for us to have a clean sweep of all the series to be honest!! , i just wanna see how we play with all the big guns back in the team, no more excuses, lets see what the likes of Gayle, Narine and possibly Pollard can add to the test side when the kiwi's come to town, also depending on how he does for the A-team vs India this might be the series where we see Jason Holder for the first time aswell.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    I watched every ball.

Yep, AWTA.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread Information