• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Graeme Smith claim another victim?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Everyone remembers Nasser and Vaughan falling on their swords to Graeme Smith in 03 and 08. With Strauss now hugely under the microscope, will Mr Smith be feasting his eyes on a third successive victim?

I personally agree with Bob Willis - Strauss will endeavour to keep going until the Ashes and a third win in a row. Then again I remember myself saying this time four years ago that I thought Vaughan would aim to do the same thing with regards to winning the 09 Ashes.

I can personally see us returning to form at home this summer but bad omens do strange things to sportsmen. You have to think the sight of smith will give Strauss a bad feeling. Thoughts?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
There's no Test at Edgbaston so I think Strauss might pull through.

Although it will require a crushing of the Winidies and at least a draw in the next test against SL.

LegendaryProtea

School Boy/Girl Captain
Strauss had better make some big runs in Colombo or a couple of hundreds against the West Indies. Unless he does so, I don't think he will last till the South Africa series. One 100 in his last 50 odd innings, that's just unacceptable. Had it been Pietersen with that record, he wouldn't even be allowed in the country.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lot of time for Strauss as a bloke, but he's not Mike Brearley (he's not even Michael Clarke, tbh) so he really needs to be contributing with the bat to justify his place.

His dismissal in the 2nd innings was the shot of a chap whose head isn't quite right just now.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
SA are traditional chokers, but I think people like De Villiers and Philander just might usher in a new era of supreme confidence. I think they're taking this series. This is a nightmare year for English Test cricket.

I like Strauss a great deal, though, and hope he pulls through with some good individual performances.

There's an interesting article on cricinfo about Philander doing his Somerset stint as contractual obligation. He's being relieved just about a month before the tour begins; the ECB better ask Somerset to run him into the ground.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Strauss certainly needs some runs, but not as many as he'd need if he had an obvious successor - I can't think of anyone else I' d want to see leading us in 2013, 'cept Chappy of course, but he'll be too old by then.

DDP

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah, i'm pretty sure cook isn't far off from being the next one, but who else would open?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Think Smith may well claim Strauss as well.

Just shows what an incredible captaincy career Smith has had, who'd have though it when he arrived in 2003 and we had nfi who he was. The first test against England will be his 100th, and it'll be his 92nd as captain!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Assumed this was a thread about Smith taking some wickets tbh, given England's inability to play slow bowlers etc...

stumpski

International Captain
Strauss is due to play his 100th Test this year as well, that's come around quickly.

Carberry won't be picked because he's not already in the side. :dry: Morgan was the last man to break into the closed shop.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Strauss is due to play his 100th Test this year as well, that's come around quickly.

Carberry won't be picked because he's not already in the side. :dry: Morgan was the last man to break into the closed shop.
In terms of the time between debut and 100th cap, will that make him the quickest player to reach 100 matches?