• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Graeme Smith claim another victim?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
In all seriousness, I agree. Grateful as I am for what he's done for England, I genuinely think now would be the time for Strauss to go were Doosgate not muddying the waters.

Strauss's tons against the Windies just flattered to deceive and he averaged 17 in the just concluded series. More damningly he got in four times out of six, but didn't once make even 40.

I really don't think we can afford to carry a passenger in our top six with Trott and Cook showing feet of clay & two spots (KP's and the problematic "sixth" spot) still up for grabs.

Agree with all of the above, and it was always likely that he would choose to call it a day. Tricky time for Cook to take over, but better now than 9 months time.

Interesting selections ahead though. Bell's a lucky man. In other times, he'd have some serious explaining to do regarding his performances this year. As things stand, he's safe enough for the time being. Doesn't deserve to be.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it'd be great if the press conference was actually just strauss reeling off a list of things that make KP a dick

Burgey

England's batting line up for the next Ashes is arguably more up in the air than ours now.

flibbertyjibber

England's batting line up for the next Ashes is arguably more up in the air than ours now.
don't think so Burgey. I have thought for a while our top 6 for the first test after the ashes double header would be Cook, Root, Trott, Bell, Taylor and Bairstow. Just happening a lot sooner than I expected. Got 9 tests? before the ashes so more time than Strauss had to build before 09 series.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Not nearly enough SA fans on here unfortunately :(. Need England, Australia, or India to take #1 just for that reason.

Andre

International Regular
Kinda hoping Strauss retires and doesn't stand down. Think the time is right for him to step away as a batsman more so than a skipper. Would be a shame if he didn't go on his own terms, he's earnt that right and staying on would mean a tough call for all involved.

Spikey

yeah it would seem kinda the wrong way around to quit as captain but stay on as a batsman. not that strauss could quit as a batsman and stay on as captain

or could he

Spikey

"i'd like to thank everyone i've played with"

see guys he and KP get on fine.

Spikey

"wrote letters to players yesterday"

oh sh - the KP leak plot twist is a bit possible