Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So why do England play spin so abysmally now?

So why do England play spin so abysmally now?

We haven't always been this bad. Not great, obviously, but recognisably competent on most occasions. In recent past, it's not hard to think of guys like Thorpe, Trescothick, Vaughan and others playing fine knocks against better attacks than this.

So why the decline? Rubbish county set-up that's now dominated by fitting in as much 2020 as possible? Pre-tour complacency on the part of this particular group of players? Other?

Cricket Spectator
    Ajmal has mentally scarred them.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Lack of Nasser.

theesra after effects

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Why do people think this is a recent phenomenon? England has mostly been **** against spin since the late 80s.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    No-one wants to hear about the 1880s
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Why do people think this is a recent phenomenon? England has mostly been **** against spin since the late 80s.
    Yeah this is exactly right. MacGill and Warne feasted on their carcus many times. I've never known England to be even remotely competent against spin.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    We've never been this laughably poor.

Mind you of the past 5 years or so we've only had what Collingwood who was good against spin on most occasions, suppose you could add Vaughan on the odd occasions he lasted long enough to face spin.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    No-one wants to hear about the 1880s
    Back when your nation was relevant?

England remain one of, if not the best side to deal with conditions akin to their own and those in SA. Also to those we've seen recently here in our wetter summers. Not dissimilar to our side in the mid-90s which took a few years to begone winning on the SC.

I suppose they need to schedule more and more A tours to the SC to familiarize their young players with the conditions there.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Back when your nation was relevant?

U19 12th Man
    England have always been poor players of spin; I dont think they have got any worse, it's just that there was no DRS before. Apart from Thorpe and Crawley (who had problems against pace outside off stump) I dont think I've seen many natural England players of spin. Trescothick I think is a bit overrated, but in his defence he made up for his lack of natural ability against spin, by devising a simple method to play against it.

The reason they are poor is lack of wristiness. Take Alastair Cook who has been out on 3 occasions this winter working the ball to the leg side; instead of using a straight bat and turning his wrists to the leg side at the last second, he is shovelling the ball which increases the chance of a leading edge. Mark Butcher was another one who seemed to shovel the ball off the front foot through the leg side, instead of working it with his wrists.

Then there were players like Alec Stewart, who was a very accomplished player and timer of pace bowling, but who looked clueless against spin. His movements always seemed out of sync and when he defended he either pushed forward with too hard hands or hid his bat behind his pad. Nasser Hussain was similar. With DRS these guys would have been even worse against spin.

As I have said before Trott is the best batsman on the England side and especially against spin. He has quite low hands and a technique suited to low bouncing pitches. I feel he may have a slight weakness on a very fast bouncy wicket, but of all the England batsman he has the least technical faults.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    England remain one of, if not the best side to deal with conditions akin to their own and those in SA. Also to those we've seen recently here in our wetter summers. Not dissimilar to our side in the mid-90s which took a few years to begone winning on the SC.

I suppose they need to schedule more and more A tours to the SC to familiarize their young players with the conditions there.
    AWTA, tbf to them, they have started doing this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Yeah this is exactly right. MacGill and Warne feasted on their carcus many times. I've never known England to be even remotely competent against spin.
    Pretty sure Tim May had a pretty good series against them in England in 1993 as well. Watched him bowl to them at Lords and (as I recall) he fairly matched Warne and massively outperformed Such and Tufnell.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Lack of familiarity with, and therefore lack of technique and mental approach to deal with, the challenge of facing spin from both ends on slower, lower wickets than they're accustomed to.

The same spinners tying England in knots this winter have toured England in the last 18 months and got belted - because in England, it was them dealing with unfamiliar conditions, often fighting a lone battle without the luxury of men round the bat.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information