• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition - No 41 - 50

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
One thing that is very evident, is that successful captains get rated above non-captains who have a similar record and I think that's the way it should be. It has definitely helped Lloyd, Benaud and Jardine from this 10 in my opinion.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Next time make a no Jardine rule:ph34r:

Even then he will still appear on the list.

On a serious note - I wonder if he would appear on Bradman's top 50 list? Does such a list exist?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know you're being somewhat superfluous to make a point, but I get a sense you really under-rate Hadlee. For my money, he's the 2nd greatest pacer of all time and a serviceable batsman. As such, I have him in my top 10 greatest cricketers of all-time and comfortably ahead of Benaud. Come on Burgey, stop the Hadlee hatin'! :)
You sense incorrectly. I rate him appropriately.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I have no problems with Jardine making the list. He was a fine batsman, and an awesome captain. If Lloyd makes the list, why not Jardine then?

On Procter and Barry Richards, I surely would have had them in my 25 if this was not only about test cricket...same about Grace, Larwood and Vijay Merchant (don't know if they made the list)...Which makes me wonder why Vijay Merchant generally doesn't feature in these lists when Procter and Barry can - all 3 had negligibly small test careers, but all 3 were absolute champions in FC cricket and that too against some serious opposition...Merchant's performances in County Cricket are stuff of legends...

Edit: same about Ranji tbh...

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
So proud of Richie :')
He was a great legspinner, handy batsman, excellent fielder and captain. You add that to the excitement he brought to the game and the passion and contributions he made, he deserves his spot. Did anyone remember to put Bobby Simpson? I ranked him really highly on mine

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So 1 from my list in the top 50 already. 22 among the other 24 will most likely make it.I am a bit skeptical on Andy Flower and Clyde Walcott...

I'll also like to see how many from outside my list come into top 10 - my guess for that is 3...

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Oh he is a great pick in drafts. And some restrictions might have caused me to go after him. And of course, after picking him, I would have over-sold him for getting votes. But I don't rate him high enough to put him in 25 or even 50. Hobbs, Hutton, Gavaskar, Barry Richards, Suttcliffe etc remain the top tear openers for me.

smash84

The Tiger King
Oh he is a great pick in drafts. And some restrictions might have caused me to go after him. And of course, after picking him, I would have over-sold him for getting votes. But I don't rate him high enough to put him in 25 or even 50. Hobbs, Hutton, Gavaskar, Barry Richards, Suttcliffe etc remain the top tear openers for me.
:ph34r:

Jager

International Debutant
Bob Simpson was arguably the best slips fielder ever, but not many people realise that as an opener he averaged 59 in first position and 53 in second. A triple century too! He also contributed sonics to Australian cricket as a coach!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Came back late in life to accept the poisoned chalice of the captaincy during WSC too and did a decent job of it all things considered - deserves more credit than he generally gets

Jager

International Debutant
You could certainly argue it. They're extremely similar though, averages nearly the same, Simpson 10 centuries and Lawry 13. Lawry was obviously a stonewaller though.