• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian selection???

Which batsman & bowler should AUS pick for the first test on December 4

• Lehmann & Kasprowics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lehmann & Bracken

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Lehmann & Williams

• Lehmann & Noffke

• Love & Kasprowics

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Love & Bracken

• Love & Noffke

• Love & Williams

• Katich & Kasprowics

• Katich & Bracken

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Katich & Williams

• Katich & Noffke

• Clarke & Williams

• Clarke & Kaspa

• Clarke & Noffke

• Clarke & Bracken

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • other

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
No that isnt the point.

But if you have seen him bowl lately you might know what I mean.

deeps

International 12th Man
agreed! he didn't bowl that well in the TVS cup :(...not sure why?!?! but he wasn't even given the new ball,which surprised me,because he was the most experienced quick in the team... But it worked out well for australia in the end...although bichel was no where near his best...injury problems perhaps?? but he is usually a very good bowler...just a bad series i guess :S

There's been so much talk about Australia's '2nd string' attack for the TVS cup, especially the stand-out performances of Williams and Bracken. I think that this will answer whoever's point about Bichel not getting the new ball. I think that it's something good for the future of Australian cricket that they've found two guys who operate so well with the new ball together.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
No that isnt the point.

But if you have seen him bowl lately you might know what I mean.
Certainly do , he was bowling very , very well in the first test against Zimbabwe & the first innings of the second test , but since the second innings of that match he's just looked all at sea.

Trouble with his run up , its been indentified that he just hasnt got the rythym in his run up at the moment , he was down a couple of km's in India & he was drifting onto the pads all the time , also worrying is that his trademark enthusiasm seemed to go missing as his bowling figures took a pounding.

He's been great for Australia but with the ccompetition for spots so intense , particularly now that Paul Rofe & Don Nash are starting to find their feet , he'd want to re disover his touch pretty soon or else we might be bidding him farewell.
33 year old fast bowlers cant afford to many off days with 25 year olds breathing down their necks.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm still unconvinced with Brad Andrew Williams.

He did bowl some good balls, but he did spray it around and did bowl quite a bit of extra's (plenty of wides) and batsmen did hit him about and I thought to myself 'where on earth is his brain'?

His good balls were mixed in with his bad balls.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
I'm still unconvinced with Brad Andrew Williams.
I am completely convined where one BA Williams is concerned , convinced that he just simply dosent belong at international level & that in time this will be proved correct , poor technique , average as far as accuray is concerned , poor stamina , moves the new ball but he's useless one it looses the shine (ala Hoggard) , he's not the sharpest tool in the shed so to speak (he's as thick as they come).

I reckon that Bracken is the best bet in ODI's ATM , followed closely by Damien Wright, although with the tweaks Bracken's made to his action he's actually getting some swing , and both ways , so he could even be useful in tests in the future.

As for the longer form of the game Bracken , Kaspa , Harwood , Inness, Noffke , Rofe , Wright , Griffith , Nash(thatz right) , Clark or possibly even Mick Lewis could all get the job done IMO.

Craig

World Traveller
With Inness picking up wickets when he has had to (ie in this side match), the selectors will look up and notice.

He is very under-rated.

I think Nash has the goods, just a few years more experience. Everyone makes a big deal about his weight, but I don't think it's an issue if he's going to bowl well. I think it serves his batting alright, too! I'm a big guy and if I could tonk it half as far as he can I'd be a happy cricketer.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
With Inness picking up wickets when he has had to (ie in this side match), the selectors will look up and notice.

He is very under-rated.
So under-rated that even die hard Aussie Cricket fans haven't a clue who he even is when I ask them about him?

Craig

World Traveller
hen I dont see how they can call themselves 'die-hard- cricket fans then.

I mean come on, I am not Australian (ignore what my location says) and even I know who he is and I think he is an under-rated bowelr.

I mean they clearly dont check the scorecards for the domestic matches.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
hen I dont see how they can call themselves 'die-hard- cricket fans then.
WACA member, attends all Tests and ODI's there as well as a fair amount of FC Cricket.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i would like to see inness and Clarke, but i think Katich and Williams will get picked

side just in
STATE AGE TESTS
Stephen Waugh (captain) NSW 38 164
Ricky Ponting (vice-captain) TAS) 28 71
Andrew Bichel) QLD) 33) 17
Nathan Bracken) NSW) 26) 0
Adam Gilchrist) WA) 32) 47
Jason Gillespie) SA) 28) 46
Matthew Hayden) QLD) 32) 46
Simon Katich) NSW) 28) 2
Justin Langer) WA) 33) 67
Stuart MacGill) NSW) 32) 26
Damien Martyn) WA) 32) 35
Brad Williams) WA) 29) 1

no surprises

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
WACA member, attends all Tests and ODI's there as well as a fair amount of FC Cricket.
Even matches involving Victoria?

Then I am lost for words to why somebody who follows cricket in Australia to never have heard of him.

What are peoples predictions of Simon Katich? Does anyone think he'll be able to nail down that spot? I think he's very over-rated, especially nowadays, many people thinking he's immovable from the team. I don't think his bowling has much merit to it and that will be exposed in the next two tests I think. He started the Pura Cup well but I don't think he's going to handle the international side of things too well. I can't say anything iron-clad against him, not after his Pura Cup start, but all I can say is that he doesn't impress me a great deal.