Cricket Player Manager

Thread: New Feature: CB Fry - One of a Kind

Cricket Web Staff Member chasingthedon's Avatar

New Feature: CB Fry - One of a Kind

“In cricket, triumph and disaster will come again; in this world, CB Fry will not” - so said RC Robertson-Glasgow; Dave looks into the immense cricketing deeds of this colossus of the domestic game and asks, why did he not dominate in Tests?

Cricket Web - Features: CB Fry - One of a Kind

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Brilliant. Really enjoyed that.

Why has he never been profiled before now?
    Last edited by Hurricane; 30-03-2012 at 04:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Brilliant. Really enjoyed that.

Why has he never been profiled before now?
    Probably I'm the only one sad enough to be that interested in him. Seriously, this is partly my point - his relative shortcomings at the Test level mean he's nowhere near as well known as his contemporaries such as Trumper or Ranji.

Interestingly Martin (fredfertang) has a copy of a biog on the indomitable Mrs Fry which might be interesting reading. I also just got hold of a copy of his book on Batsmanship - it's a great read, full of asides like "Imagine you were walking down a country lane and bumped into RH Spooner, and you put upon the good nature of this good-natured man and had him use his walking cane to demonstrate his stroke." Or "80% of cases of loss of form can be put down to either lack of practise or disorders of the liver"; certainly the latter might be true in the case of a Doug Walters or a Rodney Marsh!

Footage of Fry

Found this - he was 48 by this time.

ENGLAND'S CRICKET CAPTAIN? aka MR CB FRY - British Path

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Excellent stuff Dave, and I can confirm ownership of a biography of Mrs Fry, every bit as barking as her spouse, but don't worry, I shan't be doing a feature profiling her

Another great piece Dave. I've always been fascinated by Fry - simply the most unfairly gifted all-round human being in the history of cricket IMO. He'd be a strong contender as a guest if I were hosting one of those fantasy dinner parties - though if Cardus is to be believed (and why wouldn't he be?), it might be difficult for anyone else to get a word in!
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Another great piece Dave. I've always been fascinated by Fry - simply the most unfairly gifted all-round human being in the history of cricket IMO. He'd be a strong contender as a guest if I were hosting one of those fantasy dinner parties - though if Cardus is to be believed (and why wouldn't he be?), it might be difficult for anyone else to get a word in!
    Thanks Sean - you really get a feel for his conversational acumen from his book on batting. On his gifts, he reminds me a little of a lottery winner - such an abundance of talent that he seemed not to be able to cope with.

TV personality Stephen Fry is a direct descendant apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Excellent stuff Dave, and I can confirm ownership of a biography of Mrs Fry, every bit as barking as her spouse, but don't worry, I shan't be doing a feature profiling her
    I'm reminded of the Vic Reeves comment - "I'm barking mad me - love the place."

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Enjoyed reading that, CB Fry was one hell of an athlete.

On top of it all, a devilishly handsome bugger.

Interesting question, really: would you swap places for the man who has all that but also mental illness. Possibly not.

I think the real decline began when he left Sussex and joined Hampshire. What a dreadful step down that must have been.

I love the fact that his illegal bowling action led him to be occasionally referred to as "CB Shy".

Amazing read, gives us a good insight into the likes of WG Grace too which I found astonishing.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

Thread Information