• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Feature: CB Fry - One of a Kind

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Brilliant. Really enjoyed that.

Why has he never been profiled before now?

Last edited:

chasingthedon

International Regular
Brilliant. Really enjoyed that.

Why has he never been profiled before now?
Probably I'm the only one sad enough to be that interested in him. Seriously, this is partly my point - his relative shortcomings at the Test level mean he's nowhere near as well known as his contemporaries such as Trumper or Ranji.

Interestingly Martin (fredfertang) has a copy of a biog on the indomitable Mrs Fry which might be interesting reading. I also just got hold of a copy of his book on Batsmanship - it's a great read, full of asides like "Imagine you were walking down a country lane and bumped into RH Spooner, and you put upon the good nature of this good-natured man and had him use his walking cane to demonstrate his stroke." Or "80% of cases of loss of form can be put down to either lack of practise or disorders of the liver"; certainly the latter might be true in the case of a Doug Walters or a Rodney Marsh!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Excellent stuff Dave, and I can confirm ownership of a biography of Mrs Fry, every bit as barking as her spouse, but don't worry, I shan't be doing a feature profiling her

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Another great piece Dave. I've always been fascinated by Fry - simply the most unfairly gifted all-round human being in the history of cricket IMO. He'd be a strong contender as a guest if I were hosting one of those fantasy dinner parties - though if Cardus is to be believed (and why wouldn't he be?), it might be difficult for anyone else to get a word in!

chasingthedon

International Regular
Another great piece Dave. I've always been fascinated by Fry - simply the most unfairly gifted all-round human being in the history of cricket IMO. He'd be a strong contender as a guest if I were hosting one of those fantasy dinner parties - though if Cardus is to be believed (and why wouldn't he be?), it might be difficult for anyone else to get a word in!
Thanks Sean - you really get a feel for his conversational acumen from his book on batting. On his gifts, he reminds me a little of a lottery winner - such an abundance of talent that he seemed not to be able to cope with.

TV personality Stephen Fry is a direct descendant apparently.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Excellent stuff Dave, and I can confirm ownership of a biography of Mrs Fry, every bit as barking as her spouse, but don't worry, I shan't be doing a feature profiling her
I'm reminded of the Vic Reeves comment - "I'm barking mad me - love the place."

:)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
On top of it all, a devilishly handsome bugger.

Interesting question, really: would you swap places for the man who has all that but also mental illness. Possibly not.

I think the real decline began when he left Sussex and joined Hampshire. What a dreadful step down that must have been.

I love the fact that his illegal bowling action led him to be occasionally referred to as "CB Shy".

slowfinger

International Debutant
Amazing read, gives us a good insight into the likes of WG Grace too which I found astonishing.