• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Elliot should replace Langer

iamdavid

International Debutant
:lol:
I reckon NO :P

He had his chance , played reasonably but well below his potential , the team is already old so they cant afford to replace one 32 year old with another.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with David 100%

If there was to be a replacement for Langer im pretty sure it would be Mike Hussey...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes Elliott is in good form but I don't think they'd drop Langer after two bad Tests, particularly since Elliott has shown that even if his FC form is supreme, he still manages to find a way to bugger it all up when called up for Australia. And if there's anything that Langer has shown over the years, it's that his FC and/or early season form means nothing; he'll come good again. He's obviously hitting the ball well but just getting out once he hits 20 or 30. When he pulls his head in a bit (like I'm sure he will), he'll bag a ton and people will forget about his Tests against Zim.

Andre

International Regular
vicpride29 said:
The victorian opener is in good form and i reckon should replace Langer. What do you reckon.
Whatever your smoking, fancy sending some of it my way? :P :lol:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was doing a univeristy subject with Martin Love's ex-girlfriend and she said "that the Australian team do not like Matthew Elliot's attitude"

Apparently Matthew Elliot is really sh**y when he gets out and won't talk to anyone for the rest of the day and is not liked by most of the players, especially Steve Waugh, the current Australian captain. So I think Matthew Elliot's chances of making the Australian team are pretty slim.

Anyway...how can Australia even think of dropping one of the members of its best ever opening partnerships just because he's had two bad test matches?

I'm with Andre, I really want what ever you are smoking!

Last edited:

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
No, Langer has been in terrific form these past few seasons. To question Langers place after just two tests is a little harsh.

Matthew Elliot has been in good form, but I feel that he had his chance and he would now be behind people like Simon Katich, Mike Hussey etc. in the selectors minds.

PY

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Apparently Matthew Elliot is really sh**y when he gets out and won't talk to anyone for the rest of the day and is not liked by most of the players, especially Steve Waugh, the current Australian captain
He was shy? Can't think of a word (of the expletive variety (which I don't condone :P)) that fits those stars you've wrote in.

TIP OF THE DAY :Let the forum do your expletive blocking ;)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
PY said:
He was shy? Can't think of a word (of the expletive variety (which I don't condone :P)) that fits those stars you've wrote in.

TIP OF THE DAY :Let the forum do your expletive blocking ;)
Or just don't post when you're bladdered, take your pick :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ford_GTHO351 said:
No, Langer has been in terrific form these past few seasons. To question Langers place after just two tests is a little harsh.

Matthew Elliot has been in good form, but I feel that he had his chance and he would now be behind people like Simon Katich, Mike Hussey etc. in the selectors minds.
Katich, an opener?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As everyone(?) knows, Langer's Test form always goes in fits-and-starts. And I mean big ones. One series or summer averaging 100, next barely 30. How many times has it happened.
As for calling this combination Australia's best-ever; what a joke IMO. The above who is about the most inconsistent player ever, and one massive flat-track bully.
Comparisons with Barnes and Morris and Morris and Hassett are a touch on the premature side. Not to mention Woodfull and Ponsford (so good Richardson and Fingleton were both kept out of the side).
Often the recent batsmen receive the bias and IMO it should be very much the other way around.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Richard said:
As everyone(?) knows, Langer's Test form always goes in fits-and-starts. And I mean big ones. One series or summer averaging 100, next barely 30. How many times has it happened.
As for calling this combination Australia's best-ever; what a joke IMO. The above who is about the most inconsistent player ever, and one massive flat-track bully.
Comparisons with Barnes and Morris and Morris and Hassett are a touch on the premature side. Not to mention Woodfull and Ponsford (so good Richardson and Fingleton were both kept out of the side).
Often the recent batsmen receive the bias and IMO it should be very much the other way around.
It may supprise you but Langer has avraged over 50 in his last 4 or 5 years of test cricket I hardly call that inconsistant.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
It may supprise you but Langer has avraged over 50 in his last 4 or 5 years of test cricket I hardly call that inconsistant.
Definitely agree.

Calling for Langer and Hayden to be split up for anything other than injury is ridiculous!

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Will also be agreeing.

No offence, but why the heck would you think that in the first place. I hardly think Langer's form is so bad they are thinking of dropping him. And even if they were, I'd guess there are at least 3 others that could do it better than Elliot.

Elliot himself is resigned to the fact that he is too far out of the selector's minds at the moment. Michael Slater has suffered much the same fate. I don't think either of them will get back into Australian colours (whites?) again. Definitely Hussey for mine, if one of Langer/Hayden had to go. Although if you give it a few years, I think Marcus North might find himself in contention for one of the opening roles. He has the right attitude, he's got bags of talent and he keeps getting better.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok. I may be going out on a limb here, but I don't think vicpride29 was overly serious or committed to his point. After all, his name is vicpride and he's calling for a Victorian batsman to replace the least of the best.