• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern Greats

salman85

International Debutant
There's always talk of an ATG list,but let's limit ourselves to modern greats.Any player who made his international debut on or after 1st January 2000.Top 5,in order please.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Quite sure on the top 3, after that I'm easy.

1. Dale Steyn
2. Kumar Sangakkara
3. Virender Sehwag
4/5. Kevin Pietersen / Michael Clarke / AB De Villiers

Gilchrist misses the criteria by 2 months, otherwise I'd likely have him no.1.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
For some reason, that date hasn't registered in the mind as any sort of cut off for a different era. If you ask for players who debuted after 1st Jan 1990, I could tell with confidence who qualify.

Anyway, I'd go...

Dale Steyn
Kumar Sangakkara
Virendra Sehwag
Greame Smith
Kevin Pietersen
Michael Hussey

Pretty sure I have left out some good names.

EDIT: Inserting Sanga, and removing Hussey.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Probably missed some obvious ones to be honest, but here are the ones that came to mind.

1. Kumar Sangakarra
2. Dale Steyn
3. Graeme Smith
4. Michael Hussey
5. Sehwag Kevin Pietersen/AB de Villiers/Michael Clarke

Prior, Anderson, Samaraweera, Cook, and a few others, miss out.

salman85

International Debutant
Only one bowler has been mentioned so far.Testament to the last decade being a batsman's decade?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quite sure on the top 3, after that I'm easy.

1. Dale Steyn
2. Kumar Sangakkara
3. Virender Sehwag
4/5. Kevin Pietersen / Michael Clarke / AB De Villiers

Gilchrist misses the criteria by 2 months, otherwise I'd likely have him no.1.
Not disagreeing with much there, does not compare all that well to a similar list of those that made their debut in the 90s although obviously a fair few names there have many years left in them.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Would Dhoni's ODI performances put him in with a shout?
Yeah, I guess. The bloke took his side to the no.1 Test nation and then won the World Cup too, and it's not like it's really up to us what makes Dhoni good. That said, it is something of an unwritten rule that we mean Tests unless said otherwise.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not disagreeing with much there, does not compare all that well to a similar list of those that made their debut in the 90s although obviously a fair few names there have many years left in them.
Clarke can end as an ATG.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clarke can end as an ATG.
Don't really go in for the term but I think de Villiers is actually more likely, either way none of those 3 Howe mentioned will be rated quite as high as Ponting, Lara, Dravid or Kallis.

salman85

International Debutant
I think Amir wasn't around long enough to make the list.The same would go for Swann,and even Ajmal for the matter.I'd say Asif would have a better chance of making this list.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, and that's why I think most of those players can end their careers with reputations such as Ponting, Tendulkar, Kallis, Donald etc...The fact that people have only debuted within the last 10 years means they haven't had a full career, and, therefore, don't pop up like the guys who made their debut's in the 90's.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Great is a pretty subjective term but so far I'd only put Steyn and Sangakkara in my 'greats' list of those who debuted after Jan 1 2000. Obviously there are numerous others still playing who could get there, but not yet IMO.

Satguru

Banned
Sanga being overrated a bit, imo... i love the guy, but he's struggled just as much as Sehwag and Jayawerdene in swinging conditions and ive never bought the idea that he's better than them by a considerable margin...

Steyn an automatic pick, and Sehwag too, becuase of his sheer impact.
Other than those two, id say Sanga, then Shakib and Anderson if they keep gunning it

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Too early for Phillander IMO. If he continues at this rate for another couple of series though and he'd probably make it.