• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern Greats

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hussey's a difficult one for me. My natural instinct is to say "poor longevity, not a great" but (unlike Trott for example) the reason he debuted so late wasn't the fact that he wasn't good enough earlier. I'd probably call him a great cricketer given what he did in First Class cricket before he got in the side, but I wouldn't call him a great Test cricketer because his impact on the Test world was limited.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hussey's a difficult one for me. My natural instinct is to say "poor longevity, not a great" but (unlike Trott for example) the reason he debuted so late wasn't the fact that he wasn't good enough earlier. I'd probably call him a great cricketer given what he did in First Class cricket before he got in the side, but I wouldn't call him a great Test cricketer because his impact on the Test world was limited.
But he never really put his hand up in First Class cricket in Australia to bang the door down. It was really only through One Day exploits that he properly started banging down the door. What he did in England was a great achievement, but without a weight of runs in the Shield wasn't particularly significant.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag's slump is now 18 months and counting. I think his rating among all time greats has already taken a hit.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But he never really put his hand up in First Class cricket in Australia to bang the door down. It was really only through One Day exploits that he properly started banging down the door. What he did in England was a great achievement, but without a weight of runs in the Shield wasn't particularly significant.
Yeah that's true (in fact I've said as much before to the "why did it take him so long to get picked?!?" crowd) - it's certainly not like he was being undeservedly left out of the side. I do feel though that even on the strength of his Shield numbers alone he would've been selected in another era or for another country though. He hadn't put up mediocre or sub-Test-standard numbers in the Shield in a general context; only in the context of his competition at the time. I definitely don't think his average would be as high as it is if he'd played a "full" career for Australia but I still think it'd be in the mid to high 40s. It's a bit speculative in general, which is why I find it hard to rate him... based purely on what he did at Test level I don't find him impressive enough to be considered a great though.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah that's true (in fact I've said as much before to the "why did it take him so long to get picked?!?" crowd) - it's certainly not like he was being undeservedly left out of the side. I do feel though that even on the strength of his Shield numbers alone he would've been selected in another era or for another country though. He hadn't put up mediocre or sub-Test-standard numbers in the Shield in a general context; only in the context of his competition at the time. I definitely don't think his average would be as high as it is if he'd played a "full" career for Australia but I still think it'd be in the mid to high 40s. It's a bit speculative in general, which is why I find it hard to rate him... based purely on what he did at Test level I don't find him impressive enough to be considered a great though.
Who would you rate higher? Martyn or Hussey?

Think, purely on Tests, I'd take Damien.

Jager

International Debutant
I can't believe I forgot Cook. If he continues the form he has shown in the past two years, he will easily finish his career with a 50+ batting average (the usual benchmark for greatness). England have lacked a great opener for a while now...

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I didn't post in this at the time, but probably worth a bump three years on:

Dale Steyn
Kumar Sangakkara
Graeme Smith
Michael Clarke
AB DeVilliers

Amla, Hussey, Johnson, Sehwag all close.

When I think great, I think contender for his nation's all time XI. Think it's fair to say that all of Steyn, Sanga, Smith, Clarke and DeVilliers would be contenders for their respective nation's all time XIs.

Amla is often a forgotten guy in these sort of discussions. Just quietly going about the business of building one of the great test/ODI careers of all time.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I think great, I think contender for his nation's all time XI. Think it's fair to say that all of Steyn, Sanga, Smith, Clarke and DeVilliers would be contenders for their respective nation's all time XIs.

Amla is often a forgotten guy in these sort of discussions. Just quietly going about the business of building one of the great test/ODI careers of all time.
Sehwag absolutely is a contender for an Indian ATG XI. He's the second greatest opener in our history.

Amla has a solid case for an AT SA XI, too.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sehwag absolutely is a contender for an Indian ATG XI. He's the second greatest opener in our history.
Agree, but in my mind I don't think he's a greater cricketer than the guys I listed in the 5. It's very marginal though. He could probably replace Clarke.

Amla has a solid case for an AT SA XI, too.
Agree again. It will be interesting to note what sort of coverage the media give to Amla's 100th test and his retirement. Rarely lauded player (from what I observe), but so, so effective. That SA ATG middle order is difficult to get into with Kallis, Pollock, Nourse, Faulkner, DeVilliers all very good contenders. But Amla's name should be among them now I think.